motor help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bartowb

Reaction score
I need a little help from everybody. i was wondering if any of you knew where i can find a decent yet affordable crate motor. i currently have a stock 302 in my '75 bronco. i was looking for possibly a 347 strocker or a built 302. the motor i have now is still running and i had considered rebuilding it but i don't have the knowledge nor the ability to take on this task. also i don't have any reliable engine builders or machine shops in the area to do it for me which is y im looking for a crate. any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Yardape

Reaction score
Coast high performance is highly recommended, they build excellent engines. You can also buy crate engines right over your Ford parts counter through Ford Motorsport. You can get pretty much whatever you can think of. 347 is an excellent choice, they do however have some longterm reliability issues due to oil ring location on the piston. I think the alternative for an engine that you expect to get a decent amount of miles out of is a 342. For some reason that number doesnt look right but I think thats it. Its the same stroke as a 347 but with the stock 302 bore. They are very powerful yet reliable to boot. Coast High Performance builds a 306 that will knock your socks off, I recommended that engine to a Bracket racing friend and he has it in a 1990 Mustang that does mid 10's consistantly, and he drives it to work everyday. Coast High Performance

Last edited by a moderator:

S_bolt19

Reaction score
You know, you are close enough to Denver to get some really good stuff done. Typical long block crate motors that have been souped up will run you in the $2500-5k range and you could have a reputable shop do the machining for pretty reasonable that would cut some of your costs down. The thing is that building it is half the fun... I would give Ft. Collins 4x4 a call and ask them if they know any good machine shops or engine builders around Ft. Collins/Loveland/North Denver. They are a heck of a good shop and knowledgable folks there, I have dealt with them a couple of times when I was going to school up there, so I do have confidence in them and they might even be able to point you to a guy there in Cheyenne.

OP
OP
B

bartowb

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. i will have to look into it. what is an average price for machine work on a motor? i went to the machine shop in town and he wanted 2000 just for machining. sounds high to me especially when it looks like i can get a crate motor for not to much more then that. again thanks and if you have any more info send it my way.

pinson27

Reaction score
I need a little help from everybody. i was wondering if any of you knew where i can find a decent yet affordable crate motor. i currently have a stock 302 in my '75 bronco. i was looking for possibly a 347 strocker or a built 302. the motor i have now is still running and i had considered rebuilding it but i don't have the knowledge nor the ability to take on this task. also i don't have any reliable engine builders or machine shops in the area to do it for me which is y im looking for a crate. any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
A stock 302 with a good set of mildly built heads,performer edelbroch 4bbl intake,600 or 650 edelbroch 4bbl carb and a mild cam will not only amaze you,but will also save you some $$$$$$$.

S_bolt19

Reaction score
$2k to do just the machine work...WOW..I got mine completely rebuilt a few years ago, bored.030, new heads, roller rockers, RV cam, and EFI for $2K. The guy who did mine took forever, but he did an excellent job on it. Other than the time it took, I have absolutely no complaints. And I am in Colo. Springs, not too far south to save you some cash. I don't know if that guy still works at the same shop, but you can definatly have it done for less than what you are being quoted.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948