Love the 78-79 style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Sorry Johnny, We actually had 4 for a while, Mine and each of my boys owned one.
My middle son traded his off on a 55 TBird project.
And sorry, not for sale.;)
You sure do know how tp make a grown man cry. Don,t you? hahaha Their was a guy about 10 miles from me.That had about 5 ot the 55 t-birfds. Then he passed away and I don,t know what happened to his cars---he had several others .including a 64 Galaxie with a 4 speed. Black and looked solid. I don,t know if they are still their or not.

chrlsful

Reaction score
post #4 sez it all 4 me. Altho I ran '50s/60s contential sports cars (rest0mod from any where a kid could aford like Goldie's JY, Quincy) during the muscle era - my fav lookin vehicle is the 6th gen Ford F-250 Short Bed, step side 4WD w/2 18 inch race stripes ('73/9).
A 2nd gen bronk is in there too. Even w/that I (not we) laughed at the 2nd gen as it lumbered dwn the st ("What a pig. Dat car isa real gass hog!"). Now I know the 400 M as the largest production "square motor" in production,a remarkable stat.
I still daily the shifty Itialian 1.6, 2.0 buzz bombs but have my 1st gen bronk for wrk , a mt top beer at sunset 2, 3 X a yr and my major project. Going to the local 1Xyr bronk round up I **** after the restored (not modded) 2nd gen in the 1 color maroon. It's a lill different than the F250 I love but it's real close...
The FE and the 385 serries (390, 428, etc) & are 2 w a y different things all together. Ford, unlike cheb, had families, no SB & big blk (ie ThriftPower or "falcon engines" - 6 of 'em like my 250/4.1L bronk; bent 6: calogne, essix, vulcan, sho etc, etc; Y block, MEL; windsor. clevland, modular...)

Last edited:
OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Man I love old cars, my Broncos. Enjoy riding in the new ones, but the old ones are still my favorite. My grandsons really enjoy my Bronco’s. They sit in my lap and drive one likes driving around the woods, another one enjoys driving in the hayfield, another doesn’t care as long he is riding along. Memories

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Man I love old cars, my Broncos. Enjoy riding in the new ones, but the old ones are still my favorite. My grandsons really enjoy my Bronco’s. They sit in my lap and drive one likes driving around the woods, another one enjoys driving in the hayfield, another doesn’t care as long he is riding along. Memories
Well its nice you have kids to enjoy and take the same interest and you .

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Those early years are definitely head turners for sure.

Give me a 1996 Bronco with mass air and OBD II any day of the week. Still got that bad ass OBS body style ... 8 cylinder muscle.... and just enough of the electronic bells and whistles.

I'm sure you can restomod any early year ride to make it handle like a 1996 Bronco ...... but why try and put a 302 in a pinto?

I'm talking about buying one already completed. If you want to restomod the **** out of your ride ... go for it... if you looking to buy a restomod.... why not get a year that already has the features you want?

Soooo many people want to try and turn their gas sippers into muscle cars ...... just buy the dam muscle car if that is what you want.

If you love a 1966 Bronco .... don't turn it into a air conditioned, power steering, power brakes, fuel injected ride...... enjoy it for what it is... and how it was built.

johnnyreb

Reaction score

Give me a 1996 Bronco with mass air and OBD II any day of the week. Still got that bad ass OBS body style ... 8 cylinder muscle.... and just enough of the electronic bells and whistles.

I'm sure you can restomod any early year ride to make it handle like a 1996 Bronco ...... but why try and put a 302 in a pinto?

I'm talking about buying one already completed. If you want to restomod the **** out of your ride ... go for it... if you looking to buy a restomod.... why not get a year that already has the features you want?

Soooo many people want to try and turn their gas sippers into muscle cars ...... just buy the dam muscle car if that is what you want.

If you love a 1966 Bronco .... don't turn it into a air conditioned, power steering, power brakes, fuel injected ride...... enjoy it for what it is... and how it was built.
To get the gas to run one--will cost a good bit. This ethanol is not fit for anything. Its the cause of most vehicles problems and the auto makers are afraid to speak out against it.

L\Bronco

Reaction score

You said it with your first line!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
2 are 390GT cars and one is a 289.
Ok, I have a question. The 390 in my bronco. It has a complet new tune up. Includeing carb and fuel pump and line. I adjusted the carbout to 1 and 1/2 turn on both adjustments . I would start easy--ran nice. Next day went back to the same way. You can look down the carb and see plenty of gas going into the motor and it won,t start------but you can pour a little down and she will start and run perfect. Anyone have a answer?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
When you start it, how many times do you pump the pedal while or during cranking?

Is the choke set on it?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
When you start it, how many times do you pump the pedal while or during cranking?

Is the choke set on it?
The choke is set and working. I have tried starting it without touching the pedal(had a chevy if you did it would not start.) You can pump it 1 time--5 time or 10 time and it will not start and see gas going into the motor. When you pour a little out of a can--it will start. Now I have a Holley 4 harrel on it. With one of those 2 to 4 barrel adapters on it. When it starts. It runs fine and it has been timed.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
The choke is set and working. I have tried starting it without touching the pedal(had a chevy if you did it would not start.) You can pump it 1 time--5 time or 10 time and it will not start and see gas going into the motor. When you pour a little out of a can--it will start. Now I have a Holley 4 harrel on it. With one of those 2 to 4 barrel adapters on it. When it starts. It runs fine and it has been timed.
The only thing I can think of, based on your info here, is that the fuel in the tank could be a bit old. Old fuel, (especially todays stuff), loses its volatility as the ethanol flashes off, and with the colder weather, It wont evaporate fast enough to fire a cold engine until its running.
Does it re start ok after its been running for a bit? (When you prime it to get it started.)
Hope that helps Johnny
Cheers

johnnyreb

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of, based on your info here, is that the fuel in the tank could be a bit old. Old fuel, (especially todays stuff), loses its volatility as the ethanol flashes off, and with the colder weather, It wont evaporate fast enough to fire a cold engine until its running.
Does it re start ok after its been running for a bit? (When you prime it to get it started.)
Hope that helps Johnny
Cheers
After it warms up--it starts good--now the gas is fresh gas. I never seen anything like it. I,m begining to think it might be possesed.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Plus it has the 100% gas--NOT ETHANLO. UNLESS SOMEONE IS CHEATING WITH THE GAS. I have noticed you can,nt clean part with it like regular gas you could.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Otherwise something happened to the accelerator pump and it is no longer moving enough fuel. Like binding, or was dry rotted from sitting on the shelf maybe?

Just went through something like this on my corvette. Which I hate. LOL But Last spring I rebuilt a Carter AFB I had laying around. Ran great on a 460 I had. Built it, added the electric choke to run on this vette.
Ran pretty good except the accelerator pump or squirters were not allowing enough fuel so it had a big dead spot. Rather than try to size them differently I decided to just rebuild the qudrajet and throw it back on.
I rand this Qjet through the ultra sonic cleaner a couple times, because the machine was new and we wanted to play with it. Then I did the usual blow air through all the little ports.
Put it on, ran great. Tunned it a little. Shut it off. Went back out the next day, now it is not pumping fuel out the squirters. Somehow after all that the accelerator pump circuit was plugged.
had to tear it apart, again, clean it out and now it is working.

When the engine is cold I turn the key on so the electric pump and charge the system, then pump the pedal 4 times. Seems to work great for this car anyway. Everyone is a little different.

Since you are adding fuel then you don't have enough being shot in for some reason. Maybe try pumping the pedal 10 of 15 times and see if it will start.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Otherwise something happened to the accelerator pump and it is no longer moving enough fuel. Like binding, or was dry rotted from sitting on the shelf maybe?

Just went through something like this on my corvette. Which I hate. LOL But Last spring I rebuilt a Carter AFB I had laying around. Ran great on a 460 I had. Built it, added the electric choke to run on this vette.
Ran pretty good except the accelerator pump or squirters were not allowing enough fuel so it had a big dead spot. Rather than try to size them differently I decided to just rebuild the qudrajet and throw it back on.
I rand this Qjet through the ultra sonic cleaner a couple times, because the machine was new and we wanted to play with it. Then I did the usual blow air through all the little ports.
Put it on, ran great. Tunned it a little. Shut it off. Went back out the next day, now it is not pumping fuel out the squirters. Somehow after all that the accelerator pump circuit was plugged.

When the engine is cold I turn the key on so the electric pump and charge the system, then pump the pedal 4 times. Seems to work great for this car anyway. Everyone is a little different.

Since you are adding fuel then you don't have enough being shot in for some reason. Maybe try pumping the pedal 10 of 15 times and see if it will start.
Well you can watch down the bore and see its getting gas really good. Its always a steady squirt. Also this the the first time I had use a 2-4 carb adapter. Have you had any dealings with them?

johnnyreb

Reaction score

I tried and pumped it 10 times. Later on today--I,ll try 15 times.haha