Love the 78-79 style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Well you can watch down the bore and see its getting gas really good. Its always a steady squirt. Also this the the first time I had use a 2-4 carb adapter. Have you had any dealings with them?
The biggest problem with any adapter is another mating surface. So another chance for vacuum leak or baseplate deformation.

If it is sucking a bunch of air someplace other than the throat of the carb that can cause you starting issue.

Today's parts are much better than what we had it the 80's so don't see it near as often. But then now we have the influx of chinese parts and you just never know what you get.

I have a vacuum leak. Not on the carb, not on the adapter. I have gone so far as to remove every vac line. So I am left to believe it is the intake to head mating surface somewhere. How do you find that? LOL I hate this car. It is a brand name intake but made in china and it did seem to fit "funny" when I installed it.
Never the less it does run well. Even with the leak. So maybe I will sell rather than fix.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
The biggest problem with any adapter is another mating surface. So another chance for vacuum leak or baseplate deformation.

If it is sucking a bunch of air someplace other than the throat of the carb that can cause you starting issue.

Today's parts are much better than what we had it the 80's so don't see it near as often. But then now we have the influx of chinese parts and you just never know what you get.

I have a vacuum leak. Not on the carb, not on the adapter. I have gone so far as to remove every vac line. So I am left to believe it is the intake to head mating surface somewhere. How do you find that? LOL I hate this car. It is a brand name intake but made in china and it did seem to fit "funny" when I installed it.
Never the less it does run well. Even with the leak. So maybe I will sell rather than fix.
Well I have a vaccum gauge hooked up and it reads 22. Steady and read where its good. I don,t know anything about the gauge. First one I had hooked up. Now about the parts made NOW DAYSand a person buys alot of half ass made parts is true. We know who to blame their--they live in the east in that big white building.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Well you can watch down the bore and see its getting gas really good. Its always a steady squirt. Also this the the first time I had use a 2-4 carb adapter. Have you had any dealings with them?
I've used them a lot without issues, but as Tiha said, watch for leaks, depending on which baseplate is on your holley, things might not always match perfectly underneath.
Cheers

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I've used them a lot without issues, but as Tiha said, watch for leaks, depending on which baseplate is on your holley, things might not always match perfectly underneath.
Cheers
We have been keeping a close eye for gas leak.Since my accident and so far.We have NOT seen any. Now the vacuum leak aroung it--I will have to chek on that. Thanks--brb

johnnyreb

Reaction score
We have been keeping a close eye for gas leak.Since my accident and so far.We have NOT seen any. Now the vacuum leak aroung it--I will have to chek on that. Thanks--brb
Tiha,guess what ? I tried pumping the gas 15 times. Hit the switch and it took off and took gas good. Looks like I,ll have to open the jets more.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Tiha,guess what ? I tried pumping the gas 15 times. Hit the switch and it took off and took gas good. Looks like I,ll have to open the jets more.
Cool, that is progress. So couple of things.

Does it have a dead spot if you smash the pedal in park?
Does if have a dead spot if you smash the pedal in drive?

You can buy larger squirters to increase the amount of fuel, but if your problem is just start up and in park I think an accelerator pump or pump lever cam would do what you need.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I tried and pumped it 10 times. Later on today--I,ll try 15 times------well I just tried 15 pumps and it took off and running good. Guess I,ll have to adjust the jets out some. Start with a 1/4 at a time and see what happens.

Cool, that is progress. So couple of things.

Does it have a dead spot if you smash the pedal in park?
Does if have a dead spot if you smash the pedal in drive?

You can buy larger squirters to increase the amount of fuel, but if your problem is just start up and in park I think an accelerator pump or pump lever cam would do what you need.
Well I haven,t test drove it yet. I,ll have to re-new the tags next week to do that,but just sitting (its manual) it doesn,t back fire or anything.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well I haven,t test drove it yet. I,ll have to re-new the tags next week to do that,but just sitting (its manual) it doesn,t back fire or anything.
I did adjust the jets out about a fourth a turn and it back fired.So I screwed the all the way back in and backed them out 1 and 1/2 turn and it stopped back firing.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
You are adjusting the idle mixture correct? Those you want to adjust to get the highest rpm. Or highest vacuum reading on your gauge. From there they should be fine, but you can also open then another 1/8-1/4 turn.
That will help if you want squirters that are too small, or an accelerator pump that doesn't deliver enough fuel per stroke.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a So So video on tuning.
Covers part of it. Might give you a few things to think about.

Holleys are great for all of the different adjustments you are able to make, but dang there are a lot.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Here is a So So video on tuning.
Covers part of it. Might give you a few things to think about.

Holleys are great for all of the different adjustments you are able to make, but dang there are a lot.

Yes they are. This 4 barrel is alot different then the double pumper 650 I had on my Fairlane. If I recall right. The floats on it had to be adjusted all the time.. I was looking for a Holley 2 barrel,but they were asking over $500 for them and I could see that and this 4 barrel was about half price.Which I couldn,t believe that. So much China junk on the market now. Reminds me of the 50,s and 60,s with then--Japanesse junk. They finally learnt about quality control. I guess next Americans will be going to China and teaching them.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Cheers
Last night I thought up a idea. Extend the gas nozzle. I tried starting it this morning,but may have flooded it .So I quit. I went to the parts store today and got some small gas retardent vaccum hose. I figure if I can extend it past the base plate it should work out good. When it warms back up. I,ll try it. We got a light dusting of snot hear last night and its cold.