Ignition Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom G.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. How do I remove the ignition switch on my 88 Bronco. When I tried to start the truck today the ignition switch kept turning. Never was able to get it started. Thanks for any help.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Depends on which steering column you have, tilt or non-tilt. Also, the problem is not likely the ignition switch, it is more likely the metal dog that attaches it to the push rod. The rod is what actually operates the switch which is mounted on top of your steering column under the dash. You could temporarily remove the column shroud and operate the push rod by hand. Pushing all the way down puts it in the START position, letting go of it after the engine starts puts it in the RUN position and pulling it back from the RUN position will put you in OFF or ACCESSORY depending on how far back you pull the rod.

If the rod thing works then the problem is the gear on the end of the cylinder, upper rod actuator or the lower rod actuator.

peace.gif

OP
OP
T

Tom G.

Reaction score
Depends on which steering column you have, tilt or non-tilt. Also, the problem is not likely the ignition switch, it is more likely the metal dog that attaches it to the push rod. The rod is what actually operates the switch which is mounted on top of your steering column under the dash. You could temporarily remove the column shroud and operate the push rod by hand. Pushing all the way down puts it in the START position, letting go of it after the engine starts puts it in the RUN position and pulling it back from the RUN position will put you in OFF or ACCESSORY depending on how far back you pull the rod.

If the rod thing works then the problem is the gear on the end of the cylinder, upper rod actuator or the lower rod actuator.

peace.gif
Thanks. I'll try that first

OP
OP
T

Tom G.

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll try that first
Got access to the rod. Rod is moving all key selections. What I did notice was the key does not come back to the run position after turning key to the start position. Truck start by old fashion way, shorting out solenoid.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Got access to the rod. Rod is moving all key selections. What I did notice was the key does not come back to the run position after turning key to the start position. Truck start by old fashion way, shorting out solenoid.
Does the key move the rod? ie. when you turn the key, the rod should move with it. If you can manually push the rod to the START position and it doesn't return to the RUN position when you let go, then the switch that is mounted on the top of the steering column is bad. It should have a spring in it that pushes the rod back from the START position to the RUN position. The switch on top of the column looks like This http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=151 number 28 . While you are down there looking at the switch, make sure that it is properly secured, the bolts may have come loose causing it to shift out of position and not function properly.

Also consider that you may have more than one problem and that you will have to fix one thing at a time.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

Tom G.

Reaction score
Got the switch out today. ver touched the cylinder and lockYou were right, the switch internal spring wasn't working. I didn't change out the cylinder and lock being that the switch seems to be the problem. Will hit autozone in the morning for a switch.

OP
OP
T

Tom G.

Reaction score
Got the new part from AutoZone. The shipping pin was laying in the bottom of the box. Isn't the switch suppose to be under spring tension. This switch slides back and forth with no spring tension. Bad part from AutoZone? Need help. Thanks Seabronc for all the input so far.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Just my 2 cents.....I have had alot of problems with A-zone parts....ALOT.....Try to avoid them. I have good luck with Advance, and they go out of their way to get me what I need asap. They just got me a gasket for my Lincoln in 1 day from Kentucky...I'm in Florida! $12.00 part had no problem overnighting it and charged me nothing for shipping.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23