Ignition coil wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikePic30

Reaction score
Ok, my first post so be gentle.
Bought a 79 a couple of years ago. Lately I have been having problems with the coil wire leading to the distributor heating up and causing it to run very rough.
I have replaced the coil wire 3 times. Afterwards it will run for a while then act up again. Switching out the wire seems to help temporarily.
When I bought it she had an early 70's 460 installed, only ID on the block is what is clearly an aftermarket plate on the lower left side with "72-79 FD 460" stamped on it. I also was able to locate "D1VE-A2B" cast into the block. From what I can tell it came from a 71 Lincoln.
The distributor has been switched over to what appears to be a 78-78 pointless unit; has an after market Accel coil.
Only two wires feed to the coil, one red going to the neg terminal which appears to come from the ignition module and one green coming off the positive terminal which appears to go over to the starter relay.
During my investigation of the ongoing issue I have found that with key on / engine off the negative side of the coil is hot. Is this correct?
Any suggestions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBroncoBob