dissum ol' bull sh**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walnuts75

Reaction score
Have you seen an 80s model chevy S-10 or blazer? Those rust out even worse. Rusting has to do with what part of the country you live in. Have you ever been up to Michigan, all makes of vehicles seem to rust out the fastest up there. Its not just a ford thing.

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
Have you seen an 80s model chevy S-10 or blazer? Those rust out even worse. Rusting has to do with what part of the country you live in. Have you ever been up to Michigan, all makes of vehicles seem to rust out the fastest up there. Its not just a ford thing.
this is true... i wasent saying that fords rust worse than other brands. i was agreeing that they will run for ever and it would be great if they just didnt rust so bad. most of us are not the original owners so we have to deal whith what previous owners have left us.

walnuts75

Reaction score
this is true... i wasent saying that fords rust worse than other brands. i was agreeing that they will run for ever and it would be great if they just didnt rust so bad. most of us are not the original owners so we have to deal whith what previous owners have left us.
Oh I see what u mean. Yes then I agree! I wish they wouldn't salt the roads during the winter, then vehicles would rust so bad. Wintertime driving would also be a lot more exciting!

OP
OP
Y

yusuebronko2_86

Reaction score
well it's been on 2 tanks of gas now, ruling out bad gas (shell was one tankful). the cam was installed some time ago last year, and it was running fine. somehow or another, it's acting like it's getting too much air and not enough fuel. granted an ecm tune would help compensate for it, it should have started doing it as soon as the cam was installed. all the parts currently on the engine are oem spec except the cam and thermo, which was swapped with a 180 due to faulty 160. 02 was reconnected, functioning right, tps is in range, heat is in range, etc.

recently, it's been doing ok, running fine until i get where i'm going to, but sometimes it will throw a fit within the first 2 minutes of driving. now whenever it starts that ***** i just pop it in neutral, turn it off, start it back up, and it runs fine for another minute or two.

BTW, the thing we hate about fords, is you can change every single part related to the problem, and not fix the problem.

oldtimer

Reaction score
i live in michigan man every thing up here is rust brown HaH lol

OP
OP
Y

yusuebronko2_86

Reaction score
ok, so after inspecting everything under the hood, the next step was to pull off the fuel filter

on the engine side, clear and cleaner than what comes out of the pump\

on the tank side, a nice healty mocha color (sarcasm). yeah, there were little chunks of rust and a nice brown tint to the fuel. kinda looked like chocolate milk with cinnamon powder floating in it.

eureka....

Yardape

Reaction score
ok, so after inspecting everything under the hood, the next step was to pull off the fuel filter
on the engine side, clear and cleaner than what comes out of the pump\

on the tank side, a nice healty mocha color (sarcasm). yeah, there were little chunks of rust and a nice brown tint to the fuel. kinda looked like chocolate milk with cinnamon powder floating in it.

eureka....
Guess you found your problem. haha

OP
OP
Y

yusuebronko2_86

Reaction score
:rolleyes: well evidently my old man neglected to tell me the reason for installing a new fuel pump and filter some few months ago. apparently, the tank was full of rust and clogged the original pump and filter, and is still not done taking a huge crap on my checkbook $-) .... or schedule.

now i have to change the filter AGAIN :angry: , 2nd time this week, because it's falling flat on its face within 1 minute of driving, sometimes before i even get to the end of my street.

this all brings me to a very interesting subject: :mellow:

Does anybody have an original or replacement rear center mount fuel tank for a 1990 F150 lying around? :huh: we have one, but it's not the same year, and has a different sending unit interface. ours has a round type of plug, and this one has a row of wires to plug into, like this---> (0-0-0-0)

maybe this weekend i can drop and clean the tank and exchange the pump (lifetime warranty FTW), and fix my b2200 as well.

BTW, if the motor in that B2200 doesn't have any balls, or doesn't run very good, the 86 B2's 2.9 will be shoved in THAT instead of the nissan. >:)

Ford Iron FTW. B)

vincendebbie

vincendebbie
Reaction score
86-- Don't know if this will help but I do have a good tank in my 94 that I may be able to get to ya. Don't know if it will fit but it is currently rear center on mine. PM me. --Vince

shift1313

Reaction score
if this still doesnt go away you may want to check your tank vent and your fuel return line. Its possible you are vapor locking it. also get a warmer tstat in there. 160tstats are only around as a band aid for ill cooling systems. the thing needs to be in the 185 range to operate properly or it will keep trying ti dump extra fuel for enrichment. CTS is very important piece of the mix as well. a bad coolant temp sensor can cause all kinds of problems. also running an o2 without cats could weigh in on the situation as well. the pcm looks for certain data from certain sensors, if it doesnt get what it wants it will keep adjusting things.

on the issue of rusting. The way some of the joints were designed on these bodys leads to rusting problems. Its like my camaro, the engineers actually designed them to have air flow come through the fenders, through the doors and out under the rear 1/4s to dry the water that accumulated through the window seals. The problem was pine needles would get blown into these areas and hold moisture. If you drive your truck every day chances are you wont have a problem but if they sit(especially on gravel) you are creating a science project. Also the fact that my truck came with a rubber floor mat(not carpet) but still had the juke padding underneath that held moisture which the rubber wouldnt let evaporate made a nasty mess of my truck. If you look at toyota trucks they rust real bad at their mid seam because of the way the trucks are built, moisture and mud gets stuck and held in that seam. No amount of cleaning can ever get it usually.

For your gas tank you can get plastic ones for not much money. I had my front tank out of my 89 to work on a brake line, and as i was putting the straps back on the tank it starter leaking!!!!!!!! i had the way these tanks rust out because the rubber never stays on the straps.

92bronco_in_progress

Yeah its a 92 bronco
Reaction score
:rolleyes: well evidently my old man neglected to tell me the reason for installing a new fuel pump and filter some few months ago. apparently, the tank was full of rust and clogged the original pump and filter, and is still not done taking a huge crap on my checkbook $-) .... or schedule.
now i have to change the filter AGAIN :angry: , 2nd time this week, because it's falling flat on its face within 1 minute of driving, sometimes before i even get to the end of my street.

this all brings me to a very interesting subject: :mellow:

Does anybody have an original or replacement rear center mount fuel tank for a 1990 F150 lying around? :huh: we have one, but it's not the same year, and has a different sending unit interface. ours has a round type of plug, and this one has a row of wires to plug into, like this---> (0-0-0-0)

maybe this weekend i can drop and clean the tank and exchange the pump (lifetime warranty FTW), and fix my b2200 as well.

BTW, if the motor in that B2200 doesn't have any balls, or doesn't run very good, the 86 B2's 2.9 will be shoved in THAT instead of the nissan. >:)

Ford Iron FTW. B)

go with a new tank, its worth it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23