brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
With what new calipers cost I wouldnt even try to replace the seal it fits sooooo tight that you will probably shear a few trying to get it back together . The tight fit and durometer of the oring is why it works the way it does is that oring softens up is has les ability to pull the piston back when it goes back to shape . Ya know Im not exactly sure I think I know the kind your talking about my 83 F250 had that kind a steel bar shaped like a T with a couple cutouts where the retaining bolt goes in and a bent piece of metal that acts as a sort of spring lays on top of it when you hammer it in . I actually havent seen that on 80,s 1/2 tons but I know I relaced the brakes on an 86/87/89/91 and they had the metal pin with the rubber in the middle . And my 94 bronco and my 95 F150 had the foating pin style . So I guess I dont have a set answer for you on that one but the 79/79 axles use that system your talking of so must be around mid 80,s must be when they went to the other kind . The steering knuckle is actually different between the differnt versions of brakes as well so anyone having to change one would have to pay attention to that as well . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

shift1313

Reaction score
h5515-1.jpg

thats whats on my 85 bronco, TTB dana 44 front end stock.

maybe the 86 i was confused about an 85 was the last year they ran that style.

Here are the rubberized centered pins for th e89

h5554-1.jpg

I agree with blade. I think i paid $16 for rebuild calipers. Its not worth the time to rebuild them. When you replace calipers i also recommend replacing the rubber lines going to them to ensure you have a good sealing surface between the caliper/brake line. Ive had issues there before and its much easier to get all the parts at once.

Joe, uneven pad wear doesnt mean the pistons are sticking or the orings are worn necessarily. Nor does it mean that the caliper isnt sliding properly. Your pads will always contact the rotor and when you let off the brake and your caliper retracts your pads are still contacting. If you have warped rotors then your pad may be hitting more at one spot creating additional wear. I would start by lubing the slide if you think its a problem.

shift1313

Reaction score
i pulled those off of partsamerica.com but it wouldnt let me put in another vehicle and kept asking me to sign up. since im on a different computer now here you go:)

h5623-1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23