Any news on soft tops for the fourth and fifth generation Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
Hello fellow Bronco lovers! I want a full soft top for my 1994 so bad I can taste it! I wanted to start some conversation.

I had a Kayline for my 1986 Eddie Bauer years ago and since I have owned a 1992 Custom which I would just leave the top off all summer and let the rubber mat drain out. Now I own a '94 XLT with plush carpet and cloth seats so I really want a soft top that has the snap style like my Kayline so I can rig it safari style. Like the photo. I have been entertaining the thoughts of having a trim shop sew up some fabric to match my own homemade bows. I have even been having the fantasy of buying an old fiberglass shell from a 1980-1996 and cutting/building the body ring for a soft top from that so that I could use the interior trim and not need to drill directly into the body of the cab and tailgate.

I would like to start the discussion for all of us who want full soft tops (not that fastback or flat thing!) and any info would be great, honestly lets talk!

lbonclg.jpg

BroncoJJG

Reaction score
I've been looking for soft-top but have not yet found one. keep us posted if you do find it, or let us know how your conversion goes.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Skyler is out of business

Soft Top, STC (Specialty Top Company; OUT OF BUSINESS)

btw, STC (Specialty Top Company) - is NOT Soft-Tops.com; (STC purchased Kayline tooling & patterns) - Bronco Fasttrac Zipper Top; Cab Curtain Tonneau Cover; Snap Top - out-of-business and no longer carried by at least 2 vendors - 1 DEC 06

Soft-Tops (is NOT STC - Specialty Top Company) - Bronco Fastback Convertible Top

1980 -1996 Ford Bronco Fastback Convertible Top

and I have a post in here about a new company;

Classic Roadsters - kit roadster building & Bronco "no-drill" tonneau/full tops w/Haartz nylon material in development

"1980-96 Bronco Soft Tops

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Bill of Classic

Classic Roadsters II, the company I work for, is going to start making a tonneau style and possibly a full size soft top for the Bronco. We have our own upholstery shop that has been in business for about 28 years and have produced soft tops for our cars as well as full interiors so experience is top of the line here. I am just trying to find out how much interest there would be in these. We are going to make them out of Haartz nylon material, this is a very high quality material, and it would come with either a clear or tinted window. The top will mount using your existing hard top holes, so you will not have to drill any holes, the tailgate section will be secured with an industrial strength velcro, so no drilling will be necessary there either. The tonneau style top will cost $375.00, and the full soft top will be $500.00

Please give me some feedback I would really like some opinions from some true Bronco lovers like myself."

----------------

However Bill of Classic told me recently that they are offerring just the Tonneau version.. has a model done for his Bronco now..

some pics by Bill;

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/516317/...ze/bronco-1.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/516321/...ze/bronco-5.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/516319/...ze/bronco-2.jpg

-

Latest news from Bill

06-20-2007,

"Sorry it has been a while since I have updated out here, we got our prices on getting our mounting pieces made and we are looking at about $500 for the cost on the top. This is higher than we had expected, but we did not want to use cheaper materials to bring the price down, this is still not a solid figure and we may end up being able to do it a little cheaper, but as of right now this is the price we are looking at.. 4drbronko we will be attaching the rear portion with velcro as well, but I do like your idea and will definately look into something like that. Jackstraw, we have not done anything for a center support, but it would be very simple to add a bar across the middle to keep the water from collecting there. Thanks for all the input guys!! Bill"

OP
OP
Tennessee Jed

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
Tell Bill to count me in as interested! I have browsed their site from a google search. Once more count me in!

craiganblank1

Reaction score
Count me in too. I would love to have a full soft top that would let me use the back seat. WEll worth the $500.00. I have an 1989. Would it fit that year? Please message me if they make these.

Broncolaxman307

Reaction score
i have a 1995 Bronco XLT, I have been looking for a soft top also. I can't find anything. I found Kayline, but it appears that they are out of business, also they dont recommend the soft tops for the models after 1992, because of the third brake light and the seatbeat mounts. where can i get a soft top????

bidibronco

Reaction score
What says I can't get seatbelts from a pre 92 and put them in my 94. Also, how many cops know what years the Bronco had the 3rd brake light and what they look like?

OP
OP
Tennessee Jed

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
If you find a soft top that says it is for a 1980 or later bronco it will fit because the fiberglass shell was almost the same except in 1992 (fifth generation) they added the brake light and shoulder belts and those annoying little security torx bolts.

Y'all correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
Tennessee Jed

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
I sent a letter to Bill at Classic Roadsters...keep your fingers crossed!

I sent it here: [email protected]

Y'all send him one too. Lets show them they will make a few dollars if they produce this product.

mjkabc

Reaction score
as far as the seatbelts and brake light go, you can take the seatbelts out of a later model bronco and as long as you add lap belts it will be legal, and you dont legally need the third brake light. At least its like that in virginia.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I have two softops for sale (see classified forum), both are the fastback style. TheSkyler top does use a couple snaps on the sid and top of the cab, but seals with velcro all around, and the brackets mount in the existing holes for the factory hardtop. They also made a safari-style top, similar to the pic of the kayline/STC top. Keep an eye on ebay for those. A cheap way to make your own hardtop lighter is to remove the sideglass, so you have plenty of airflow. If rain is a concern, canvas cloth with snaps works fine. JSM84

noahsdad86

Reaction score
How come as many broncos, as I see on the road and in the mountains and no one carries a good soft top that will allow use of the back seat, Stupid jeep people get their choice of like 80 different tops for their ***** little car, we get hard top or no top.

MonsterTrukz7

Reaction score
Like everyone else here, I am in the market for a soft top for my '87 Bronco. For the same reasons, I want a full sized top so the back seat can still be used. Living in Northwest Washington, I know the second I take the hard top off it'll start raining, so it would be nice to have a soft top to keep my interior in somewhat decent condition. If the guys at Classic Roadsters start making them, I would definitly buy a full length top. Hopefully it will have runners that bolt into the factory holes so no other drilling or snaps need to be drilled into the body (thats the reason I havn't bought one yet). Does it seem resonable that production is in the not too distant future??

iridebig55

Reaction score
Its been a long time since anyones posted on this forum but I have a 1995 Bronco and I would **** for a full soft top so if anyone has found one or has one for sale please email me.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Unfortunately NO, the best advise is the same now as it was back then: keep an eye on Ebay and Craigslist. BidiBronco has had unbelieveble luck tracking them down (to be honest I think the guy is sacraficing chickens in his basement but don't tell anyone I said that) but he's been pretty religious about watching both sites and I think that's about the best advise you'll get if you don't like the fastback tops and you don't want to ck w/the local upholstery shops. It seems to me like it would be a large enuf market that someone could make an honest dollar selling them but for some reason the simple/easy & cheap fastbacks are the only option available. To be honest I'm simple glad that SOME form of softtop is still available and I'm not shy about mentioning the fact that I *prefer* the fastback over the squareback, but hey, that's just me.

shift1313

Reaction score
not exactly the same thing as you guys, but has anyone ever bought a tonau cover for an f150 and made it work on a bronco? A guy i work with just cut up a bronco II and this is how he made his top. When its on you cant use the rear seats but it is a pretty neat idea. You can pick them up for under $100 and have an upholstery shop put a window in for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23