95 Differentials?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mav

Reaction score
Open Diffs from the factory? Tried to climb a sand hill after installing Warn manual hubs and new tires and only the left front and rt rear would spin :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yes, it's possible your Bronco has open front and rear diffs. Check the axle code on the driver's door safety sticker, should read something like "I9" for open 3.55 gears.

OP
OP
Mav

Mav

Reaction score
Yes, it's possible your Bronco has open front and rear diffs. Check the axle code on the driver's door safety sticker, should read something like "I9" for open 3.55 gears.
says H9

OP
OP
Mav

Mav

Reaction score
H9 means 3.55 LS
Does this mean front and rear is Limited Slip? Or just the rear?

I've been doing some net research... It would have to read "H92" in order for the front and rear to both be LS, otherwise "H9" is the rear leaving the front to be an open diff. Is this correct? Anyone?

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Correct. H9 is 3.55 with rear L?S, and open 3.54 front axle. That tis the most common on 83-96 Broncos with the Ford 8.8" rear axle. Now, if you were offroad and only one rear tire spun while the other didn't move, it's very likely your factory L/S isn't working. It's a Trac-Lok limited slip that uses clutch packs which often wear out. JSM84

OP
OP
Mav

Mav

Reaction score
Correct. H9 is 3.55 with rear L?S, and open 3.54 front axle. That tis the most common on 83-96 Broncos with the Ford 8.8" rear axle. Now, if you were offroad and only one rear tire spun while the other didn't move, it's very likely your factory L/S isn't working. It's a Trac-Lok limited slip that uses clutch packs which often wear out. JSM84
Thanks. I think it's working fine. I was at the beach and both rear tires spun (this is when I found out the auto locks didn't work and I got stuck :wacko: ) and if I hold the brake on pavement, both rears smoke'em.

The thing that worries me is the one front wheel spinning. I did some research and wikipedia explained "open diff" as follows:

Note that an observer will simply see one stationary wheel and one spinning wheel. It will not be obvious that both wheels are generating the same torque (i.e. both wheels are in fact pushing equally, despite the difference in rotational speed). This has led to a widely held misconception that a vehicle with a differential is really only "one-wheel-drive". In fact, a normal differential always provides equal torque to both driven wheels (unless it is a locking, torque-biasing, or limited slip type).

This worries me. I'd rather have them lock. Seems to me I'll get stuck easier, especially on the beach, with the "open diff" in front.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
You're right, when an "open" diff encounters loss of traction, one wheel gets ALL of the torque/power. That's why one wheel spins and the other does not move. And it's true that you can fight this on the rear with use of the brakes or parking brake, but you have to feather the front brakes in 4WD to get traction. It's really noticeable on a sidehill incline, since the wheel on the low side will spin. That makes it dangerous and causes the front of the rig to slide down the incline. If you suddenly get traction, it's much easier to roll over. And driving on sand is a skill that fewer folks have than other types of terrain. If the sand is wet, it's easy to drive on and much like hard ground. But loose, dry sand will bury you to the axles if you spin the tires. I drive the local beach quite often, and see 2WD trucks buried to the rear bumper right at the entrance. A slow, steady throttle will get you thru more often than rompin' it. BAck to the open front, I've run a full spool to lock both axleshafts together. Since you only use 4WD off pavement, the only concern you have is extra stress on the shafts and u-joints from the spool itself. JSM84.

OP
OP
Mav

Mav

Reaction score
What's a full spool?

And I'll be driving on the beach several times per year. One of the main reasons why I bought it. Will stock diffs surfice?

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Search for "full spool" and "min-spool". A full spool replaces the stock carrier and locks both axleshafts all the time. If you have to use 4WD where you travel on the beach, some type of traction aide in the front axle will be a big benefit. I don't really have that option with the IFS on my 98 Z-71 or 06 Dodge, but both have rear L/S. I drive about 20-25 miles round trip on the beach. While part of it is flat sand, the area I fish has alot of shell cliffs and huge trees washed ashore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23