78 problems completely had it!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeshmo

Reaction score
ok so i have a 1978 bronco with a 351m that i bought that had sat for 3 years witout running. i had the carb rebuilt put new fuel lines on with sending unit, fuel lift pump, cleaned and gapped spark plugs, replaced ignition coil, and threw a new battery in. well i drove it for about 2 weeks then it just died. well i can turn it over and it will fire and run for about 2-3 seconds then stall and wont start for about another five minutes then it wont hold an idle...well its getting fuel and the only thing i can think of being the problem is the i c u....is that correct?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Joe.,

In sooo many cases like this., (older veh.) it's a sloppy timing chain & gears.

Or could have even jumped a tooth. Also., is the dizzy in good shape.?

A quick test for timing chain is to use a long handle socket on the crank/pully nut. Rock it back & forth & watch the rotor to see how long it takes for it to move. :unsure:

And ya.., early on Ford had some issues with their elect. ignition. Could be the module is failing. :glare:

HTH

B

Seabronc

Reaction score
As Bully Bob mentioned, the ignition system maybe at fault. If it is a Duraspark II ignition, one common failures is in the pickup inside the distributor, it shorts out. If it is a Duraspark II system, here is a procedure to determine if it is the ignition module or the pickup.

This is from the 83 EVTM, but if it is a Duraspark II system this will work for you.

Good luck,

:)>-

PG18.jpg

PG24.jpg

PG25.jpg

PG26.jpg

OP
OP
J

joeshmo

Reaction score
well i dont think it jumped timing because wen it starts up it doesnt miss a lick then it just slowly dies so i know its not timing....but for the ignition like you guys are talkin about on the pickup is it difficult and expensive to change??? or could it just be cleaned up and saved??

Seabronc

Reaction score
well i dont think it jumped timing because wen it starts up it doesnt miss a lick then it just slowly dies so i know its not timing....but for the ignition like you guys are talkin about on the pickup is it difficult and expensive to change??? or could it just be cleaned up and saved??
No, you will need a new one, but it isn't very expensive. If you think you are going to change it, I'll give you a few pointers when you are ready to do it. First though, go through the isolation procedure, it could save you money bu putting in the right part the first time instead of just throwing parts at it.

Part number 9 in the attached page from LMC Truck, or a local professional parts supplier, DO NOT get it from a big box auto parts chain.

Good luck,

OP
OP
J

joeshmo

Reaction score
well im ready to do the swap on it...is there a specific part number from a bigb bin parts dealer i could get it from because i cant wait a weeks worth of shipping from lmc and dont have a local professional dealer but oreilleys is there a motorcraft part number?

Seabronc

Reaction score
I don't have the part number, but you should be able to go to a professional parts distributor to get one. A local Ford dealer may also have them. Just tell them you want a "pickup coil" for the inside of your distributor, I'm sure they will know what you are talking about. You have to pull the "reluctor" on the end of the shaft to change the pick-up. Be careful, there is a very small roll pin that keeps it from slipping around the shaft. If you loose it, you may have a hard time finding a new one. It is only about 1/4 inch long and about a 1/32 inch in diameter.

Good luck,

Duraspark II Distributor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat