68 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

all4him

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a Bronco for my husband's 50th Bday. I looked at a nice 1968 1/2 cab today that is listed for 12,500 in the classfifieds. When driving it it seemed as if he had a hard time getting it into 4 wheel drive and when accelerating it it had a kick back. are these normal kinks for a vehicle of this age? the 302 has less th10,000.00 miles on it. I did notice some Bondo on lower door panels but all in all it looked like a sweet ride.

Is there some type of buying guide or a better gauge for me to know what to pay. This is a surprise and I certainly want it to be a nice surprise. He had a 69 before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
This website has a "JBG" classifieds with 100's of comparisions.

(same for "Classic Broncos" website)

"are these normal kinks for a vehicle of this age?"

These rigs are sturdy as a rock., when maintained correctly.

The only kinks would be those created by individuals taking short-cuts., etc.

"seemed as if he had a hard time getting it into 4 wheel drive "

Again., this is somewhat normal.., & normal maint. will likely cure it.

Not sure what kick-back is but it should start., stop., turn., accelerate., etc. just like any other veh.

Good luck with your search & geographical location also comes into play @ value.

BTW.., the '68 had a 289...so if it's a 302, it's been swapped out.

Lastly...., I'm trying to put myself in his place.., & I must say., I would rather pick my own rig., with the eng., trannie., mods, etc. that I prefer., (The surprise only lasts 10 min.) but., that's just me.

Bronc76

Reaction score
As Bully said, the classifieds should be the way to go for comparisons. You can also try hemmings or autotraderclassics. If you want to know if its an original 1/2 cab, check the first three characters of VIN number on drivers side door and glove box, (U14- 1/2 cab, U15- wagon), if thats not important, dont worry about it. You can also check for other places for bondo such as quarter panels and tailgate with a small magnet. (it might help in lowering price)

OP
OP
A

all4him

Reaction score
Thanks Bully:

I know it would be better for him to pick it bu he would never buy anything for himself like this. I here his stories about the 69 he had growing up and how much he loved it. So I gathered bits and pieces of info, like cut/or uncut, 4 wheel drive, tires, headers etc. I think I have a good idea but I am at an extreme disadvantage as I know nothing about this kind of stuff.

I have since emailed the seller and asked if I can bring a mechanic with me to look at Tran/4 wheel drive and rust/bondo. There are not too many in Florida so I am limited in my search options.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"I have since emailed the seller and asked if I can bring a mechanic with me"

This is pretty much a "must" ...good to see ya doing that. $12.5k seems a bit high.....but could be well worth it.

These rigs get their prices "inflated" as un'knowledgeable folks get hold of them (mask a few problems) & think they're going to make a ****'n..!

You'll do fine.., do your homework & give it a "close" look.

---------I just noticed it has an auto trans....if that's what you mean @ "kick-back" shifting.., then it may have a "shift-kit" in it.

Some folks like them., some don't.

P.S. you don't have any sisters do ya...??? :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
A

all4him

Reaction score
I sent the email and the seller has come down considerably on price. It has the c-4 auto trans dual magna flow chrome headers as well as p/s p/disc brakes and the 302 has less than 30k on it. It also has nice 35 inch tires with less than 400 miles on them. I am thinking that I may purchase. Yes, I have 5 sisters and no...... you dont want anything to do with them :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The new price is "as is"

"I have since emailed the seller and asked if I can bring a mechanic with me"This is pretty much a "must" ...good to see ya doing that. $12.5k seems a bit high.....but could be well worth it.

These rigs get their prices "inflated" as un'knowledgeable folks get hold of them (mask a few problems) & think they're going to make a ****'n..!

You'll do fine.., do your homework & give it a "close" look.

---------I just noticed it has an auto trans....if that's what you mean @ "kick-back" shifting.., then it may have a "shift-kit" in it.

Some folks like them., some don't.

P.S. you don't have any sisters do ya...??? :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"Yes, I have 5 sisters and no...... "

Ahhhh..., was hoping I could talk one of'm into buy'n me another Bronco..!!! :lol:

---Oh well., -----

A few other things to ask about would be;

The wiring...hoping it's not too chopped & patched.

What gearing in the front & rear axles...? should be at least 4:11's

What lift kit was used..?

P/s & disc were not stock in '68., so what kit/supplier was used...?

---Sounds like it may be a "keeper" ---

hope this helps., good luck,

Bob

S_bolt19

Reaction score
What did they come down to if you don't mind me asking? FLA & CA tend to have inflated costs on the EBs. If he has come down even to 10k I might have a tough time buying that. I go off of mine for a price range because of the modifications I have don, which are substantial. In this economy I would have a tough time getting 10-12k for mine, but 3 years ago, I could have asked and probably gotten in the 17-18k range.

Take a look at Craigs List in Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Wyoming and other western/landlocked states (not the Lake states). Reason being is that #1 You might be able to find a better deal, even with shipping than what you have & #2 they are typically in better shape than coastal/lake state Broncos. I sold an EB that was a 1970 last summer that was in amazing shape for $1500. The only thing that was glaring was that it needed new floor pans, a new shift kit, some minor electrical work and the carb needed rebuilding. The body was in better shape than my other (daily driver) EB is and I had a hard time selling it. I had to drop the price 2x from $2000. If your hubby wants the work done for him, then, ok, I might look at that 10k price range, but if he wants to do the work, you can find a really good base in the $1500-3000 range and build it for less than the original $12.5k asking price.

OP
OP
A

all4him

Reaction score
just under 10k

What did they come down to if you don't mind me asking? FLA & CA tend to have inflated costs on the EBs. If he has come down even to 10k I might have a tough time buying that. I go off of mine for a price range because of the modifications I have don, which are substantial. In this economy I would have a tough time getting 10-12k for mine, but 3 years ago, I could have asked and probably gotten in the 17-18k range.
Take a look at Craigs List in Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Wyoming and other western/landlocked states (not the Lake states). Reason being is that #1 You might be able to find a better deal, even with shipping than what you have & #2 they are typically in better shape than coastal/lake state Broncos. I sold an EB that was a 1970 last summer that was in amazing shape for $1500. The only thing that was glaring was that it needed new floor pans, a new shift kit, some minor electrical work and the carb needed rebuilding. The body was in better shape than my other (daily driver) EB is and I had a hard time selling it. I had to drop the price 2x from $2000. If your hubby wants the work done for him, then, ok, I might look at that 10k price range, but if he wants to do the work, you can find a really good base in the $1500-3000 range and build it for less than the original $12.5k asking price.

OP
OP
A

all4him

Reaction score
ad says 3-1/2 james duff lift half cab. Wiring under dash does looks very messy, he said all work was done professionally and he has owned for a while. He seems pretty nice. I guess you never know but I got the sense that he was a pretty honest guy. Great question about the gearing, I have been told 4:11's. When I asked about The power steering he said the front axle of a 76 front end? and the Disc brakes and master cylinder from Jegs. This is way above my pay grade

"Yes, I have 5 sisters and no...... "Ahhhh..., was hoping I could talk one of'm into buy'n me another Bronco..!!! :lol:

---Oh well., -----

A few other things to ask about would be;

The wiring...hoping it's not too chopped & patched.

What gearing in the front & rear axles...? should be at least 4:11's

What lift kit was used..?

P/s & disc were not stock in '68., so what kit/supplier was used...?

---Sounds like it may be a "keeper" ---

hope this helps., good luck,

Bob

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"This is way above my pay grade"

(HA.!) You're doing great..! ...Duff's is good.

Sounds like P/S came off a '76.., that's good.

Didn't know JEG's was into those items but they're a good company.

4:11's are OK...456's would be more suited to off-road use.

The stock wiring IS messy under there...as long as it isn't all chopped up & "Rube Goldberged"...

OP
OP
A

all4him

Reaction score
Ok, I must confess I had to google Rube Goldberg, I laughed pretty hard!!! I appreciate all of your help.

"This is way above my pay grade"(HA.!) You're doing great..! ...Duff's is good.

Sounds like P/S came off a '76.., that's good.

Didn't know JEG's was into those items but they're a good company.

4:11's are OK...456's would be more suited to off-road use.

The stock wiring IS messy under there...as long as it isn't all chopped up & "Rube Goldberged"...

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"There are not too many in Florida so I am limited in my search options."

I just checked ebay...., there's several in Fla. & Georgia that are "nice" ...!

Especially the "Gator" orange one...

OP
OP
A

all4him

Reaction score
Thanks. I am suppose to buy this bronco on Thursday for 9K I just got the 1st 3 letters of the vin and they are U15 so if the other post is right this is truly not a 1/2 cab ? what does this mean? Ia m getting a little nervous :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

"There are not too many in Florida so I am limited in my search options."I just checked ebay...., there's several in Fla. & Georgia that are "nice" ...!

Especially the "Gator" orange one...

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"what does this mean? I am getting a little nervous"

Not to worry.., doesn't mean much & this owner may not know the diff.

U-15 means it came fr. the factory with a full hardtop.

U-14 means it was a pick-up style with the 1/2 cab...& had a bench seat among a few other differences.

---- Along those lines.., I strongly advise you to check the title against the complete vin#...!!!!!

Do this with ANY vehicle....

Stolen or built fr. 3 diff. trucks is common .... with a fake., or no title/paperwork.

Again, if it's a 302 eng. it's been installed to replace the 289 that was orig.

The Vin# should be on the top of the frame (Pass. side) in the area of the starter..OR a tag on the glove-box door., OR on the driver side kick-panel....by the foot pedal emergency brake....or a combination there of.

4Sid

Reaction score
Had to change stuff could not log on. I bought the 68 Bronco, we had to drive it 80 miles and it ran really well at 65. Do you know where I can get a hard top that is is in good condition? I am going to try to post a request. You have been awesome , thanks.....

"what does this mean? I am getting a little nervous"Not to worry.., doesn't mean much & this owner may not know the diff.

U-15 means it came fr. the factory with a full hardtop.

U-14 means it was a pick-up style with the 1/2 cab...& had a bench seat among a few other differences.

---- Along those lines.., I strongly advise you to check the title against the complete vin#...!!!!!

Do this with ANY vehicle....

Stolen or built fr. 3 diff. trucks is common .... with a fake., or no title/paperwork.

Again, if it's a 302 eng. it's been installed to replace the 289 that was orig.

The Vin# should be on the top of the frame (Pass. side) in the area of the starter..OR a tag on the glove-box door., OR on the driver side kick-panel....by the foot pedal emergency brake....or a combination there of.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"Do you know where I can get a hard top that is is in good condition? I am going to try to post a request. You have been awesome , thanks....."

----Your welcome., -----

& welcome to the Early Bronco sickness...!!! You can look forward to many years of "FUN" ..!

You'll have to shop & be patient for a top. There's this site., ClassicBroncos.com & a few others you can post on.., as well as eBAY, etc.

Of the 6 rigs I've had...I prefer the "rag-top." If I lived in the North Tundra., I'm sure I'd go for the wagon full top.

Again congrats..!! enjoy the ride.. & let us hear your progress now & then.... (Is hubby grinn'n :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ?)

Bob

4Sid

Reaction score
He is grinining, but he wont know about the Bronco until November, the big 50. I think he has an idea. Thanks , I think it is going to be a great event for him. We live in a very tropical climate, so maybe he mentioned the hardtop to keep the spiders and rain out. The Spiders are gynormous...... The soft top on it now came off a Jeep and fits well which was surprising to me.

You are right though, this is madness and I was probably crazy to buy this ride but I believe that life happens fast and when your in love nothing seems crazy! I prayed about it alot too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Good Luck in all you do and I am sure I will bend your ear soon :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

"Do you know where I can get a hard top that is is in good condition? I am going to try to post a request. You have been awesome , thanks....."----Your welcome., -----

& welcome to the Early Bronco sickness...!!! You can look forward to many years of "FUN" ..!

You'll have to shop & be patient for a top. There's this site., ClassicBroncos.com & a few others you can post on.., as well as eBAY, etc.

Of the 6 rigs I've had...I prefer the "rag-top." If I lived in the North Tundra., I'm sure I'd go for the wagon full top.

Again congrats..!! enjoy the ride.. & let us hear your progress now & then.... (Is hubby grinn'n :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ?)

Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23