1st Bronco...need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColdCut

Reaction score
Hi everyone...I just bought an '85 Bronco Full Size w/ 300 V6 and 100,000 miles on it . When i put it in 3rd gear it acts like it wants to cut out and starts sputterin...any suggestions as to what my problem might be. I'm brand new to the big rig bussiness, just sold my 98 Kia Sephia because I'm tired of crappy little foreign cars.

Needs new spark plugs and new air filter bad...also 1.5" hose from bottom of air filter housing to engine is not connected to air filter housing, would any of the above stuff be reason for sputtering and cutting out when in 3rd gear?

Another thing is that it is 4wd and it has a the shifter for it starts at 2hi at the top then 4hi, N, 4low at the bottom...im going to use it as a daily driver

so shoud i keep it in N...also it shifts freely from top to bottom so i never really know if im in 2hi, 4hi etc., do you have to move the shifter to right to get it into gear...sorry i sound so dumb but i have never owned a 4wd before. Thanks :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gunner

i had the same problem with my 1982 5.0 V8 i got to 45 miles an hour and the engine was begging for fuel. i started sputtering and everything. i took everything apart to see what the **** the problem was. and in the end all i needed to do was change out the three fuel filters that are on there and put one bigger one and i have all my power back. not saying it will fix yours but it did the job for me.

Jes4Kix

Reaction score
I had a similar problem on a different truck, turned out to be a vacuum line.

You want to leave your transfer case in 2 HI for DD. Don't run 4 HI or LOW on dry pavement for any length of time, personally I don't recommend it at all but there are time it's unavoidable. I suggest you find some dirt, mud, sand somewhere so you can experiment. Lock your hubs shift to 4 HI and see what it feels like then come to a complete stop and drop into 4 LOW. If I remember right you can shift from 2 HI to 4 HI on the fly under 40-45 mph. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. When you are all done shift back to 2 HI and don't forget to unlock your hubs.

OP
OP
C

ColdCut

Reaction score
put new plugs, air filter, and connected the hose today and now it does alot better.

but after i turned it off after driving around for about 10 min. i noticed some smoke coming from the engine. I popped the hood and there was kind of a blueish

white smoke comin from the carburator and underneath the carburator. This this has been sittin in the snow for about 2-3 months. Think its just burnin the crappy slush gas out of it? Thanks for the above help...when u shift with the 4wd shifter do you have to slide it to the very top and to the right to get it into 2hi or just push the shifter to the top and thats it?

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
going by memory here since not up to date with any of the newer Tcase, just the old NP205's. but 2hi and 4hi should be inline with each other. only side travel is down to 4lo as a saftey to keep from hitting 4lo on the move. with your truck at park with the motor off shift thru your Tcase gears this way you can feel when you hit the gears easy. you should also have a 4x4 light in the row of lights at the top of the dash that lights up when in 4wd.

azrockrat

Reaction score
get a new gasket for the carb and clean the carb with cleaner that should help some and the 330-6 is a inline not a v

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula