1995 FORD Bronco: Good or Bad Truck???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outkast

Reaction score
All stock trucks have a downside but it all can be resolved

The Bad:

- Fuel economy the worst(With gas prices like they are now I think everyone in the world is ****** with their fuel economy)

- Lack of torque (doesn

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Joe, Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a 5.8 have more horse than a 5.0?
Jetset

One would think so, but if you look at the page I linked to, (which is pinned in one of the sections here) one can see that the HP numbers jump around a bit from year to year. Usually the HP numbers are pretty much the same or the 5.8 has a *little* bit more. It just so happens in the example I gave, (WPW Bronco's '92 year had a relatively low HP rating that year, whereas the '95 they had a realtively high one) I wasn't trying to be cute to make a point, I wanted Juan to see that his engine (the '95) should be pretty much as good as the '92 5.8, and that WPW bronco has no torque issues. Also I wanted to make the point that he needn't add headers or whatever, that he first needs to get his engine running properly.

I think that if you refer to the specifications page, one will find that the torque for the 5.8 is typically about 10% higher than the 5.0 but at a higher RPM. There isn't a listing for what the torque is for either at the lower RPM range, like down at 1000 RPM where one is trying to pull himself up a hill from a dead stop in 4X4 high.

It is my understanding that torque is overall more important to the feeling of power, and that different engines have different torque curves. Some (like diesels) have a lot of low end torque, and others generate their most torque at the high end of the RPM scale.

ms_jetset

Redneck & The Bronco
Reaction score
JetsetOne would think so, but if you look at the page I linked to, (which is pinned in one of the sections here) one can see that the HP numbers jump around a bit from year to year. Usually the HP numbers are pretty much the same or the 5.8 has a *little* bit more. It just so happens in the example I gave, (WPW Bronco's '92 year had a relatively low HP rating that year, whereas the '95 they had a realtively high one) I wasn't trying to be cute to make a point, I wanted Juan to see that his engine (the '95) should be pretty much as good as the '92 5.8, and that WPW bronco has no torque issues. Also I wanted to make the point that he needn't add headers or whatever, that he first needs to get his engine running properly.

I think that if you refer to the specifications page, one will find that the torque for the 5.8 is typically about 10% higher than the 5.0 but at a higher RPM. There isn't a listing for what the torque is for either at the lower RPM range, like down at 1000 RPM where one is trying to pull himself up a hill from a dead stop in 4X4 high.

It is my understanding that torque is overall more important to the feeling of power, and that different engines have different torque curves. Some (like diesels) have a lot of low end torque, and others generate their most torque at the high end of the RPM scale.
Bronco-J, I apoligize, I did not see a section for that pinned. I'm sure you are right. Still friends? :lol:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score

shift1313

Reaction score
I havent read through everything yet but ill put up my opinion as well.

My bronco is an 85, inline 6cyl(4.9l) with a 4speed manual. Since it only has a single barrel carb on it, gas mileage is great. 18mpg in town is not uncommon. The interiors are a good bit different and i know that 87+ interiors tend to creak and rattle a bit more. Mine has always been rock solid but its also pretty basic. Manual locks, windows, rubber floors, no headliner. no tilt ...

as for torque, my 6 cyl going up hill could probably lift the front tires. okay maybe not but its got torque to spare. i think the I6 was rated at 250ft lbs and with my 1st gear being 6.7:1 i have tons of get up, not so much go.

Off road as long as the truck isnt too wide, it will go anywhere. As long as my front tires can touch the hill before my bumper it will go up. The only down fall ive ever had off road is ground clearance and that was my fault.

Ive had an 86 truck with a 5.0 and a manual and it could spin 35" tires so im thinking something isnt right with your truck or your gear ratios are 3.08:1.

my 89 truck with a 5speed 6cyl will start up hill no problem as well.

OP
OP
J

JUAN C

Reaction score
Thanx BroncoJoe19 for your advice I will try to do that!

I replaced the clutch and plate like 6 months ago and I put a Heavy duty 11" LUK clutch, so I don

DSC02501.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Thanx BroncoJoe19 for your advice I will try to do that!
<snip>

I have a question, I was looking for some engine performace products and I found this "hypertech" module programmer and it is suposed to make big improvements of Torque, HPs, towing, etc, My qyuestion is : Does it really works like they say?

You know I

muddridder

Reaction score
I have to agree with the other's. I have a 95 Bronco XLT with a 351w though. It is absoulutlly the BEST off-roading capable vehicle I've ever taken off road. Never been stuck, never broke down and never hesitates to get me where I want to go. And torqe..it's got it baby! Sound's like you need to give it a once over.
I have a 1995 Eddie Bauer lifted on 35's and I love it!!!! If your worried about gas your driving the wrong truck.Go get a Susuki Samari or somthing. :lol:

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
Juan i like that set up on that truck as far as lift to tire ratio... is it lifted, i think you mentioned what size the tires are but i'm to tired to read back through and see haha. are they 33's? as for the original topic every truck in the world new or old has there ups and downs. as long as the goods out weigh the bad then you must be driving a ford :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

96fred

Reaction score
I have a 96 Ilove it had 81 liked it too mpg 13-17 intake mod jet chip Gibson exhust 5.8 :rolleyes:

Rednek

Reaction score
In a bronco the "Fuel Economy" is nothing anyone should ever consider. That might sound dumb but for most people its not a daily driver its a fun truck...

Lack of torque? idk what the difference between your 5.0L and my 5.8L is in ft lbs or torque and hp but i have NO complaints about my broncos power. when i first got it it was bad but it was cuz it wasnt gettin fuel...

you say theres no tow hooks... or somewere good to use to pull... hmm well thats not a very good point to argue about seeing that it doesnt take too much to put one on it.. idk it seems easy for me... after all im a welder...

what made me start thist reply is your point about it not being a good offroad vehicle... i dis-agree completly. I have a stock 83 bronco with bald 31" mud king tires and it gets through more mud than a 79 jeep with 3" body and 3" sus lift. 32x11.5"... my 92 is absolutley fantastic in the mud ive gone through small ponds and huge ditches. its crazy how good they are in mud and also on the road.

the limited vision is correct.

ive got ****** headers and a duall aero chamber exhaust system so i cant hear none of the noises... even if it did i wouldnt be turned down by it.

and the "rear windshield wiper" wow... idk i carry a towel with me seems easy enough.

i give it a 10/10

thats it. no hard feelings if i was a ****

I have a 1995 Eddie Bauer lifted on 35's and I love it!!!! If your worried about gas your driving the wrong truck.Go get a Susuki Samari or somthing.
hahahahahahahaha nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I wish Juan C would write back. (He hasn't been back here for two weeks at this time.) I'd bet that if he took it in and pulled codes he would have had a couple of issues to correct, and that once he had a well tuned and properly running engine he would be as delighted with his bronco as most of us are with ours.

Redneck, remember how poorly yours ran? It couldn't make it up a 3 foot incline without a running start. Imagine if you didn't have your '83 to compare it to. I suspect you would have been bad mouthing bronco's from here to the dark side. I'm glad that you got it fixed, and you are now delighted with your truck. Personally I know that mine was a little bit of a dog until I replaced my TPS. Now... it is a delight to drive. The funny part, is that neither I, nor my son knew that there was anything wrong with the engine until I pulled codes - just to see (my check engine light hadn't come on!).

Lonnie's 88custom

Reaction score
From the first day my DAD brought home our 88, I have always felt that it was the "Cadillac" of four wheelers. I bought it from him in 1992 and have had it ever since. Some of the things I've done with it still blow my mind to this day. One that comes to mind was when I backed it into Lake Powell (Utah) to rescue my uncle's pontoon boat(the motor died six miles from the marina). Water was up to the doors, motor revved to keep water out of the exhaust. I backed the boat's trailer out, winched the boat on and powered out in 4L like it was nobody's business. There were over 100 people on the shoreline cheering as the Bronco powered out of the water, across 100 yards of sand up the beach and finally onto the hard pack dirt, all while pulling a fully loaded 32 foot pontoon boat. Torque? Are you kidding me? It was awesome.

I'm sure I'll have mine forever, regardless of fuel costs.

Lonnie

B)

Rednek

Reaction score
nice story lonnie. sounds much like mine but only it was a ford escape. and it wasnt up to the doors and it was pulling out a chevy from a little pond. like 20 ppl i didnt know were cheering as the front wheel drive spinnin tore that chevy 1500 out of the pond....

it was cool lol.

Lonnie's 88custom

Reaction score
nice story lonnie. sounds much like mine but only it was a ford escape. and it wasnt up to the doors and it was pulling out a chevy from a little pond. like 20 ppl i didnt know were cheering as the front wheel drive spinnin tore that chevy 1500 out of the pond....it was cool lol.
Nice. You gotta love pulling out the "competition", especially with a smaller truck. LOL.

That trip I took to Lake Powell was just something else. The day before, before my uncle's boat died, (in fact all his toys broke on that trip, boat, jet skis, motorcycles, etc...) we were sitting on the beach having a few beers in the late afternoon and watched this kid in a Jeep venture out during low tide into the mud. We thought, cool, until we heard a u-joint snap. We were thinking "bummer dude". Then we watched his friend take his Jeep out to rescue him. The next thing we knew, they were both stuck hard and the tide was coming in. They came over and begged me to pull them out. They offered me $100.00 to pull them out. I just couldn't do it. I explained that I was over 700 miles from home and the Bronco was my only ride back. If I broke the Bronco I would be worse off than them, and $100.00 would not be enough to get me home. All around me everything was breaking except the Bronco. Everyone watched as the Jeeps went under for the night. The guilt was brutal but I just couldn't risk it. As it turned out, I needed the Bronco to rescue my uncle the next day. If I had broke the Bronco pulling them out we'd probably still be there going ***.

Leadsled

Reaction score
Nice. You gotta love pulling out the "competition", especially with a smaller truck. LOL. That trip I took to Lake Powell was just something else. The day before, before my uncle's boat died, (in fact all his toys broke on that trip, boat, jet skis, motorcycles, etc...) we were sitting on the beach having a few beers in the late afternoon and watched this kid in a Jeep venture out during low tide into the mud. We thought, cool, until we heard a u-joint snap. We were thinking "bummer dude". Then we watched his friend take his Jeep out to rescue him. The next thing we knew, they were both stuck hard and the tide was coming in. They came over and begged me to pull them out. They offered me $100.00 to pull them out. I just couldn't do it. I explained that I was over 700 miles from home and the Bronco was my only ride back. If I broke the Bronco I would be worse off than them, and $100.00 would not be enough to get me home. All around me everything was breaking except the Bronco. Everyone watched as the Jeeps went under for the night. The guilt was brutal but I just couldn't risk it. As it turned out, I needed the Bronco to rescue my uncle the next day. If I had broke the Bronco pulling them out we'd probably still be there going ***.

Carma is a mother focker!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23