Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fatjoe36

Reaction score
Rumor has it that the tops on the '78-'79 Broncos are a little cumbersome when taking off and putting on, is there any truth to this?

FatJoe

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Well, I'd say the word "cumbersome" is relative. If you're trying to do it alone I think most guys would just take a look at the thing and say "well THAT's not going to be easy to do by myself". It's not heavy but it's large & akward, maybe Shaquille O'neal could just grab it & pull it off but *I* sure can't. One man CAN do it alone but yes, it's cumbersome. With one other person to help it's downright easy and with two people to help it's actually effortless (well, effortless for ME anyways since I'll just stand back and tell the other two how to take it off) and with three people to help it's a good ole' time because while I'm telling the first two guys how to remove the top I'm sending the 3rd one inside to get me another beer.

A lot of guys rig a pulley to a joist in the garage and pull it off that way and having done that at my last house I can attest that it makes the one-man version a whole lot easier and I've also seen pulleys mounted to tree branches & A-frames so there are a number of ways to easily fab something to help pull the top. The garage method has the advantage of also being usefull for storing the top as long as you rig it well when removing it and ***** in a cleat for the line somewhere nearby.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandcole73

Reaction score
Bill is exactly right! I don't think my 78's is any different than my 95's top. Large and just a little too heavy to do it alone comfortably. I have taken the 95's off alone. (once) I got inside and lifted it up on my back, scooted it toward the back and then leaned it down to the ground. Once was enough, get a friend and some beer!

offroadfury

Locked And Loaded
Reaction score
I unbolt mine and lift it up with my back and slide in two 2x4's underneath. The 2x's raise it above the pins toward the back of the bed and make it slide easier towards the back then I just get under it again and put it on my back and rest it against the wall. The 2x's also make it easier to get your hands under the top if there are 2 of you removing it. If I had a dedicated spot for my Bronco inside then I would probably leave the top off all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

cowboydan

Reaction score
i take mine off all the tim by myself. i just lift up on the back to clear the rubber seals and it slides easy, drop the back on the ground and flip it on it's roof. it's a bit harder to put it back on but it's mostly just keeping it in the grooves that makes it hard.

BroncoBrett913

Reaction score
I have a 79 and I take the top off frequently. It sounds like all the best methods have already been discussed. When I do it by myself, I lift it up from the back to release the seals and then give it a quick jerkt o get it past the posts. Once you get it off the posts its not hard to slide along the tailgate. Use a piece of wood or something to slide it down to the ground. I try to set it on some 4 wheel furniture movers so I can move it around all the time when I need to. (Makes it a lot easier to slide it around) However the best way to do it is just get two guys and muscle it off. Good Luck!

brandcole73

Reaction score
Summer's almost here! Well, nice weather at least. Have you figured out how to get it off yet? Luckily I have a barn to park mine in and leave the top off most of the summer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK