Trouble shooting oil leak with UV dye

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Keep us posted on what you find out. i was reading through my 460 swap thread, since i also had an oil leak on it due to a bad rear gasket on the lower intake manifold. There's also a pic or two and text about my broken exhaust bolt repair woes. That would be alot harder to do if the engine was still in the truck, JSM84

OP
OP
T

tonyp0811

Reaction score
I could imagine... I had a 460 stuff in that 69 mach1.... I know how much of a PITA everthing was on that swap...

Well good news.... Not the Manifold... not the Distrubutor...... All that oil from one the Timing chain cover bolt...

I ran the truck 12 miles... Figured that would have everthing nice and warmed up and leaking,....

Got home with the truck stull running i disconneted the Air Filter intake tubes, and started to lean on the Trottle

not sure the RPM's thinking about 3k-3500 I start to see a little oil pushing up from the timing chaing cover just

to the right of the distributor... Press on the trottle a little more "and out of the cover came the bubbling crude!!"

lol

So I turned the motor off an found me one of my handy ratch/box end wrench 1/2 and sure enough a little on the loose side.

Tightend, and fired her up again.... reved up again... No bubbling out a little seep.. So I will have to clean and try again...

mymach.JPG

revisedeng01.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Ahh, should've went with my first instinct on the loose bolt. Hope that cured your leak, as it's no cost involved. Since you're a Mustang guy, I have a few questions that I'll ask about a 66 that I need help with. Will send you a PM, JSM84

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23