Rhino Liner! (And Clones)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bebop Man

Reaction score
Damn man, thats pretty cool, how hard was it do? Also do you think it would cover small hole where trim fell my truck, or its it not heavy enoght?
By itself, it's not that heavy. But what I did was use a little dab of that weather seal adhesive to dab in there, and let that set for a little bit, then I just rolled GG right over it. You can't see any of the little pinholes I had in the fender from before I started.

OP
OP
B

Bebop Man

Reaction score
Sort of a 4x4 rat rod. Simple, cheap, basic & effective. That's a hard combo to beat. It's something that almost anyone can do at home without needing to shell out $3K to a shop.
I did some concrete work last fall for a guy that does auto body repair. We had a few beers and I picked his brains over what I needed to do.

Basically, I spent half the day masking around the windows, bumpers, removing the grill and headlight bezels, taillights and mirrors. Prep was simple, wash, dry, then scuff it with a greenie pad soaked in xylene. Dab in some rust-x to chemcially stop any rust, and some weather seal adhesive to fill in the pinholes.

I rolled on the first coat, that took about 2 hours and a gallon of paint. That's where I left it for the first day. On the 2nd I used up another gallon and laid on a 2nd coat, then touched up a few little places with some stain brushes. about an hour later it was tacky to the touch, and I pulled off all the masking, then went around with another touch up coat, and did the insides of the door (around the hinges and door stricker / jambs.

I rolled on a 3rd coat on the leading edge of the hood, along the rocker panels, and around the fender wells, thinking those areas would see the most abuse.

Two days in a garage, and this is the result. I'm pretty happy with it.

If you can slap paint on a bedroom wall, you can do this.

OP
OP
B

Bebop Man

Reaction score
How would you think it would do as a sound deadener? My thoughts is to use it behind all the panels and under the carpet to cut down on the road noise.... How thick is it??
I'd figure it's around an 1/8th of an inch thick, maybe a little less. Fairly dense, too. It does a pretty good job of cutting down the road noise, and it'll only make it better when I get around to doing the inside.

Big Ben

Reaction score
Yeah so oddly enough this fits in with a conversation I had with my boss today. I'm looking at repainting my baby and I was talking about how much it would cost to get a full color change on my bronco. He knows more about this stuff than I do. He literally told me not to bother getting it painted here in canada because nobody knows how to do a good paint job (something about all the cars being rust buckets so everyone seems to think an average paint job looks incredible). Since I want a solid paint job he said I could probably get a way better one by driving to cali (yeah, because you know, taking my bronco coast to coast will be cheap....) and it'd cost me the same as the 'ok' paint job that I'd get here.

Then we got in to talking about how to get a good paint job for cheap and he actually told me you can paint a truck with a roller and some tremclad. Something about tremclad being an enamel based paint so you don't need the undercoat or clearcoat. You just sand down your paint job, scuff up your ride a bit and get to painting it on with a roller. Sand between coats really well to get rid of any drip marks and by the 5th coat or so apparently it turns out really nice. Judging from what you've been saying it's about a gallon a coat. You could probably roller a whole vehicle for easily less than a grand (that's ALL the materials included) and because it's enamel based paint you get that nice shine to it without a clear coat. Even if it chips it's easier to patch than if you had a base coat/clear coat job too. Only problem apparently is that darker colors show the imperfections but for brighter colors it's apparently hard to beat.

I also find it odd to see Jessica washing the general lee in this thread because it's one of the ways I had thought about painting up my bronco. Kinda like a General Lee in bronco form since most people tend to go blues/blacks and whites I'm tempted to go with different and orange is definitely different. Was contemplating rhino lining the rear interior but i'm still out on that one.

DesertRatt1322

Reaction score
I've got a 91 that has been painted over twice before i got it, I am looking into monstaliner but not liking the colors they have.

How is this product holding up? 

OP
OP
B

Bebop Man

Reaction score
Pretty good.  I did end up touching up the color in 2013.  I just used Rustoleum rattle-can.  Outside of that, I haven't had to do any maintenance on it.

IMG_20130922_153059_432.jpg

Grizz

Reaction score
I just replaced my tailgate which is red.  and I have the O.J. White Bronco,  I used that Plasti-dip paint to make it look like the rest of the truck I liked how easy it was to apply and use.  down side is that it isn't very durable. 

here in cali if you change your vehicle color your bound to be stopped by every cop that passes.  I have been looking for a better paint and something that is simple to apply.

if you can roll that paint and it lasts as long as it has for you bebop then this is the way to go. 

is the rhino or grizzly liner have a way to make your own color? 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23