remove doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fatcatrog

Reaction score
anybody know how to remove the doors off 1995 bronco without tearing them up? thanks alot.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Sure, no big deal. You can go at it two ways. Either remove the 6 bolts that hold the hinge to the body OR remove the 4 bolts that hold the door to the hinge. You'll have to cut the wires going from the body to the door but there's really no way around that one. I like to use small trailer connectors there. Install the male connector on the wires coming out from the body & the female connector on the door wires (or do it the other way around, doesn't really matter). The 4 bolts on the door are easier to reach so you might want to take them out first.

bidibronco

Reaction score
SAWZALL MY MAN! Okay, I guess that defetes the question huh? Yup, just like Broncobill said.... easy as pie!

OP
OP
F

fatcatrog

Reaction score
Sure, no big deal. You can go at it two ways. Either remove the 6 bolts that hold the hinge to the body OR remove the 4 bolts that hold the door to the hinge. You'll have to cut the wires going from the body to the door but there's really no way around that one. I like to use small trailer connectors there. Install the male connector on the wires coming out from the body & the female connector on the door wires (or do it the other way around, doesn't really matter). The 4 bolts on the door are easier to reach so you might want to take them out first.
thanks. i'll give it a shot tonight.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
No problem, I'll be glad to help. It's easy to take the doors off, all you need to do is unplug the wiring connectors if you have pwr windows and locks. The connectors are located behind the lowewr kick panel at the bottom of the A-pillar, or the bottom-front where the doors hinge to the body. There are a total of six bolts for each of the two door hinges. These are 10mm bolts you just loosen with a socket. The first time you do this, they will be tight. I find that it's better to remove the bolts from the body part of the hinge rather than the door. It will be easier to align the door this way when you put it back on. the door weighs about 80 pounds, so it's best to have at least one other person help you. The hard part is to re-align the door with the cab, rocker panel and front fender when you put it back on. That can take a few minutes, or a couple of hours. The holes for the hinge bolts have inserts that will move around in all directions to allow adjustment. I ususally get one bolt per hinge tight enough so it doesn't move around, then check alignment. IF the door isn't centered, it will rub on the rear edge of the fender or the top of the cab or won't align with the door striker. The door striker is adjustable, too. It uses a T-50 Torx bit. IF you plan to take the doors off and on during the Summer, I suggest doing the quick-disconnect pin mod I mentioned in a recent post. This will let you take the doors off and they'll be aligned when you put them back on. Instead off removeing the hinges from the body, you just split them in half with a regular 3/8" bolt in place of the stock pin.

JSM84

mongo

Reaction score
Dumb question why are taking the doors off ? I know on my Wrangler we take the doors off in the summer with the top off to drive around in.If that is why you are doing it COOL ,But what about the side mirrors ?

OP
OP
F

fatcatrog

Reaction score
i just want them off for summer riding. here in south carolina it's almost summer year round. i just need to find out if it's legal or not. anybody know???

mongo

Reaction score
i just want them off for summer riding. here in south carolina it's almost summer year round. i just need to find out if it's legal or not. anybody know???
Like I said here Michigan we ride with the doors off our wrangler in the summer but I have to buy side mirrors that mount on the hinges for when I have the doors off ,I haven't had any problems with the police ( knock on wood ) ,But it is a trip looking on the side mirrors and there aren't any.

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
I dont think its illegal anywhere to have no doors, just some states you have to have atleast a driver side mirrior. I live in colorado and in the summer i see all kinda Broncos, Blazers, Jimmys, CJs **** even Ford and GM pickups with no doors on them or mirriors

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
mongo, good question. I take the doors off of my Broncos for several reason. HEre in South Texas, it can get real hot, even with AC. Removing the top and the doors cools off the Bronco interior. Another reason-I like to lean out the window to look at the front wheel to see wher it's tracking. I have several shirts with mud stains on the left shoulder to prove this. By removing the door, it's easier to lean out and see where you're going. Lastly, if you have manual hubs and need to lock or unlock them for some reason, having the doors off makes this much, much easier. I run a full spool in the front axle, and it's sometimes necessary to unlock one hub to make a tight turn. If you're trying to reduce the overall weight of the Bronco for a mud run, removing both doors takes off about 150 pounds. Add that to the 120# hardtop and 100# tailgate, and you've shaved off about 500 pounds of dead weight to make the Bronco a tad faster. As for the legality of running doorless on the road, you'd need to chekc your state regs on that. My Broncos are offroad-only, JSM84

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
I used to be a Police Officer in Upstate SC near Clemson, its legal but like the other guys said you need to figure out something for your mirrors. You do need those.

Rick in Orlando

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
So you need side mirrors??
You cant just get away with the rear view??
Yeah you need the side mirrors. No one may say anthing but the HP up there is prone to addressing issues like that. You can mout them on the posts, I have seen that on the net but you need something to keep from getting snagged.

Rick in Orlando

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23