New Holland side project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I am on a couple acres, but in town. No real farming here. But I have a ton of projects that could really use a loader. Started looking at loaders for the garden tractor, always thought they were cool and wanted one. But everyone I talk to said, don't do it, you will hate it.
All said buy a skid steer instead. I didn't really want to spend the money on something I would use once a year. Spend $3k-$5k on something worn out.

Then this popped up on marketplace really close to me last Saturday
A partially burned New Holland (exact same as ford) 1720 4x4, 3 cylinder diesel, 3x4 mechanical trans, bucket and 3 point for $1,100. Of course it is half burned up and I like projects LOL

Went and took a look at it. The Barn next to it burn down. Little fire on the tractor but mostly heat damage. Engine spun over freely. I see the buckets alone listed for $4,500 so how can I go wrong?
All of the controls operated properly, steering was tight but not stuck. All the fluid levels are good still. Mostly just wiring damage.

423428764_2414349348759211_7558881615135399979_n.jpg

So I brought it home.

20240323_105550.jpg

First thing was find some rear tires so I can roll the thing around easier and get the loader off it to access the engine.

Luckily I live in Iowa and everyone has some tractor tires laying around.

20240324_190516.jpg

Tires on, rolled off trailer, now the loader is removed.

20240325_182335.jpg

As you can see the most intimidating part of the fire is the dash is gone.
Inside the dash that is the fuel tank you see and it is 3/4 full of fuel yet. Looking down lower in the dash all the paint is still blue, everything is clean.

20240323_123435.jpg

OP
OP
Tiha

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
While inspecting the tractor before purchase I saw the oil filler cap and neck were gone. Melted down into the valve cover. Also the hose from the air cleaner to the intake was melted away.
You could see garbage had fallen inside. I figured worse case i would have to pull the head, but I got lucky and everything cleaned up easily.

20240325_190023.jpg
20240325_190532.jpg

Pulled the intake next and cleaned it out.

20240325_191454.jpg

Noticed the fan blade had partially melted, didn't notice that before. Good to know before trying to fire up.

20240325_191704.jpg

Fuel return line from the injectors was rotten, not burnt or melted, just rotten.
Laying in the back of my tool box for the last 30 years was a brand new return line from a 6.2 diesel. I finally got to use it. yes, Victory. LOL

20240325_193000.jpg

OP
OP
Tiha

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I disconnected all of the electrical except the main battery cable to the starter. this is a mechanical diesel so it won't take much to run.

The weather may hold me up because i have a stupid excursion in my garage, but I would like to drop the oil first, refill and try to start it.

If it runs decent then I will start spending money on it. Of course most of the factory parts are no longer available so it will be a custom dash and wiring. Probably just 4 gauges, oil pressure, water temp, voltage and fuel. maybe put a glow plug timer in there rather than using a push button. Not really sure, the sky is the limit.

But fun project anyway.

Now some more pics just for fun.

20240323_121224.jpg20240323_121247.jpg20240323_121205.jpg

I thought I was going to have to make a guide plate for the shifter on the dash, but after seeing the factory setup I guess I just need a hole. LOL Maybe some markings.

img (1).jpg

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I disconnected all of the electrical except the main battery cable to the starter. this is a mechanical diesel so it won't take much to run.

The weather may hold me up because i have a stupid excursion in my garage, but I would like to drop the oil first, refill and try to start it.

If it runs decent then I will start spending money on it. Of course most of the factory parts are no longer available so it will be a custom dash and wiring. Probably just 4 gauges, oil pressure, water temp, voltage and fuel. maybe put a glow plug timer in there rather than using a push button. Not really sure, the sky is the limit.

But fun project anyway.

Now some more pics just for fun.

View attachment 32046View attachment 32047View attachment 32048

I thought I was going to have to make a guide plate for the shifter on the dash, but after seeing the factory setup I guess I just need a hole. LOL Maybe some markings.

View attachment 32049
That is awesome Tiha!
My son just picked up a gas job, 3cyl, 3pt hitch, no loader or front wheel assist though, great score!
He is gaving a bunch of luck finding parts for it at used tractor places and some website, there is a huge following for those! (Ill try and get you some details)
IMG_6599.jpeg

OP
OP
Tiha

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
That is awesome Tiha!
My son just picked up a gas job, 3cyl, 3pt hitch, no loader or front wheel assist though, great score!
He is having a bunch of luck finding parts for it at used tractor places and some website, there is a huge following for those! (Ill try and get you some details)

That would be awesome. There are very few factory parts I need, but i will need them. I have a couple tractor salvage yards near me but little luck. Like the oil fill cap. Unavailable.
Like what? Really?

The oil fill cap is really hard to reach without the filler neck. Thought I could make my own, but I think I found one in the tractor salvage yard.

This shibaura engine was rebranded as Cat and Perkins in some application as well. It has been an adventure learning.

A lot of the other stuff is just a toss up. Used fan blade is $30, New one on ebay $30. Coolant recovery tank used $50. Universal one with similar dimensions is $11 on ebay. LOL

Currently my parts list is less than $500 with $150 being the seat. But I am sure there will be more when I get it moving.

This is an $1.100 disposable tractor I care nothing about. So that makes it a lot more fun to play with.

Certainly going to simplify it. Like it has an electric sensor for an air filter restriction gauge. Like what? Who needs that crap. Off it goes.

Thinking about using an LCD display like pictured below for the gauges. It is only like $20. *** tractor, chinese parts LOL .

going to try to start it tonight. I think. Make sure it runs decent before I spend a dime on it, but I am at that point. ready to run if it will run.

It is kind of a fun and different kind of project.

gauges.jpeg

L\Bronco

Reaction score
That would be awesome. There are very few factory parts I need, but i will need them. I have a couple tractor salvage yards near me but little luck. Like the oil fill cap. Unavailable.
Like what? Really?

The oil fill cap is really hard to reach without the filler neck. Thought I could make my own, but I think I found one in the tractor salvage yard.

This shibaura engine was rebranded as Cat and Perkins in some application as well. It has been an adventure learning.

A lot of the other stuff is just a toss up. Used fan blade is $30, New one on ebay $30. Coolant recovery tank used $50. Universal one with similar dimensions is $11 on ebay. LOL

Currently my parts list is less than $500 with $150 being the seat. But I am sure there will be more when I get it moving.

This is an $1.100 disposable tractor I care nothing about. So that makes it a lot more fun to play with.

Certainly going to simplify it. Like it has an electric sensor for an air filter restriction gauge. Like what? Who needs that crap. Off it goes.

Thinking about using an LCD display like pictured below for the gauges. It is only like $20. *** tractor, chinese parts LOL .

going to try to start it tonight. I think. Make sure it runs decent before I spend a dime on it, but I am at that point. ready to run if it will run.

It is kind of a fun and different kind of project.

View attachment 32053
Good luck with the adventure tonight!
Getting them fired is most of the fun for me
Cheers

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thanks!

It runs.

Supposed to rain the next couple of days so I ordered a bunch of parts.
Fantastic! It sounds very good!
Congrats!
Heading to Phoenix for another national race on thursday, but Ill keep an eye on this one as much as I can.
Cheers
PS still waiting on the business name for the Ford tractor parts for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tiha

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I guess I have done a lot since I posted. Just for fun update.

Been waiting on parts. I ended up with like 8 different suppliers with deliveries from this week until end of April. Finding parts for this is difficult.

Came home to a flat tire last night. Kind of expected, they were dry rotted pretty bad. But they lasted long enough for me to get it off the trailer and loader unhooked.
Got the new ones sitting in the shop already.

20240404_181325.jpg20240404_173857.jpg

got the new engine fan in. Radiator was plugged with dirt. Blew it out. I am sure this tractor never works hard enough to over heat though.

20240403_192906.jpg20240403_192938.jpg

OP
OP
Tiha

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I started pulling the operator station to clean things out, fix the steering column. One thing led to another.

The steering wheel melted. that locked up the upper bearing in the column. But the rubber bushing around the bearing burnt out so it still spun freely.

Started this project thinking I was going to do the minimum and now I am doing everything as I go instead. LOL

I should have taken it and pressure washed it before I ever started on it.

20240402_174849.jpg20240402_180306.jpg20240402_180317.jpg20240403_073117.jpg

OP
OP
Tiha

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Getting close to the end of this project for now at least. Need to get back on other things. Like swing set for the grandkids. LOL

I still need to figure out lights. finish painting the rest of the tractor but honestly later. Not important.

On the short term, I need an adapter to hook up water temp. Finish up my exhaust. that really is about it for now.

Steering column back in, Throttle cables on. This has a hand and a foot throttle. Like a gas pedal.

20240407_163016.jpg

Waiting on the fuel sending unit I pulled the fenders and seat pan.

20240409_193525.jpg

All cleaned up and back on, started on my dash.

20240414_155000.jpg20240414_155006.jpg20240414_155016.jpg

OP
OP
Tiha

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Made a steering wheel adapter and used up an old wheel had laying around for year.

installed the radiator fill neck and overflow bottle. The overflow bottle was a cheap chinese universal and it fit perfectly in the factory spot. LOL

20240414_155025.jpg20240414_155040.jpg

i want underslung exhaust. same reason I took the ROPS off. Easier to park in place and get under trees and such. Can't be bought but I made it bolt on so if it fails then no biggie, take it off and bolt on a factory setup.

So I made a box.

20240414_155044.jpg20240414_155057.jpg20240415_191927.jpg

OP
OP
Tiha

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
The electrical system is pretty simple. I have a "glow plug" ignition switch, that means you turn it to the acc position and it is spring loaded. You hold it there as long as you want to the glows plugs to cycle. Then turn it to on and crank.
Right now I only have two relays. One for glow plugs, which I probably didn't need. The other runs all of the 12v acc. power. Like gauges, lights, fuel solenoid and alternator.

Still need to add a small fuse panel but I only need like 2 or 3 fuses. Most panels are like 6 or more. So still shopping.

Started building my dash.

20240415_185106.jpg20240415_185123.jpg

Seat installed. Used one off market place.

20240415_191903.jpg

And dash finished up.

Mechanical water gauge, need an adapter yet. Mechanical oil pressure. Volt and fuel. That should be enough.

20240417_194001.jpg20240417_190350.jpg

OP
OP
Tiha

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Started wiring up the alternator. It is internally regulated so it should only need to be energized to charge.

First problem, I hooked the batt. wire back to my acc. relay. Even when not energized it charges enough to keep the tractor running LOL, so I need to move the Batt wire to the main starter cable.

I put power to it and it started charging at full output like 14.6 volts. I am guessing I energized the field coil, at least I hope I did otherwise I have a bad regulator. Was getting too dark and I couldn't read. need to open up the wiring diagram again.

20240417_193856.jpg

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Very nice work Tiha!
(I love the exh mod!)
You are a craftsman for sure!
PS
Maybe I misunderstood, but, 24.6 is perfect for regulated voltage.

OP
OP
Tiha

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice work Tiha!
(I love the exh mod!)
You are a craftsman for sure!
PS
Maybe I misunderstood, but, 24.6 is perfect for regulated voltage.
Thank you,

So I hooked 12 to one side of the alternator and it jumped to full charge. So I hooked voltage to the other terminal and it jumped to full charge.

If I remove the 12 volt lead from both terminals it stiff continues at full charge. I still need to open the manual. It could be my battery is that dead. The battery is probably shot, but it doesn't take much to run this. Even if it is stuck on full charge I will run it a while and see what happens.

Was hoping to use the loader this weekend but had a couple hoses on the loader spraying oil when I hooked it up.

Need to get a hanger for the exhaust yet. Crazy, sure didn't seem loud but a lot quieter now.

I might have an oil pressure issue. It runs about 10 psi cold at idle. But when it warms up it drops below 5. Comes right up with engine rpms. So maybe some rods and mains in my future, look like an easy swap. No hurry, but now I know. Never would have known with the factory setup. It was the standard on/off oil light.

20240419_181807.jpg20240419_191515.jpg

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Very nice!
5 is a bit low, but industrial diesels are often lower than what we see as normal.
As long as it comes up at speed.
Make sure to run at least 15w40.
Good luck
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK