Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimgad

Reaction score
Hello
About a month ago bought a 1989 Ford Bronco. The previous owner really took care of it and did a lot of the restoration work, so I dont want to take credit for that.
I have a done a few little tweaks myself and working to get more familiarized with how to do things myself.

Just this past week I replaced the AC/Heater controls and put an LED bulb in that. Liked the look so I went all out and replaced all interior with LED including pulling the instrument cluster and warning lights and did all 194 LED bulbs. This video is well done and walked me through it. Although I didnt need to remove the whole headlight bar as it shows. I used a hook tool to remove just the pullknob same as wipers.
Dash looks great now. However, my rear antilock break warning light is on now. Not sure if it was always on and bulb burnt out, if I really have a problem, or if too many LED's did something to make it come on. I know in older cars replacing some LED's lead to issues. I was able to put a Hi/Low LED in the headlights and works fine. As soon as I replaced brake/blinker bulbs blinkers stopped working so I went back to standard bulbs.
Any advice/history on LED dash bulbs causing an issue?1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg6.jpgIMG_5263.JPG

Last edited:

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hello
About a month ago bought a 1989 Ford Bronco. The previous owner really took care of it and did a lot of the restoration work, so I dont want to take credit for that.
I have a done a few little tweaks myself and working to get more familiarized with how to do things myself.

Just this past week I replaced the AC/Heater controls and put an LED bulb in that. Liked the look so I went all out and replaced all interior with LED including pulling the instrument cluster and warning lights and did all 194 LED bulbs. This video is well done and walked me through it. Although I didnt need to remove the whole headlight bar as it shows. I used a hook tool to remove just the pullknob same as wipers.
Dash looks great now. However, my rear antilock break warning light is on now. Not sure if it was always on and bulb burnt out, if I really have a problem, or if too many LED's did something to make it come on. I know in older cars replacing some LED's lead to issues. I was able to put a Hi/Low LED in the headlights and works fine. As soon as I replaced brake/blinker bulbs blinkers stopped working so I went back to standard bulbs.
Any advice/history on LED dash bulbs causing an issue?View attachment 31770View attachment 31771View attachment 31772View attachment 31773View attachment 31774View attachment 31775
Welcome to the forum! Your new purchase looks super clean for sure! Anything else you plan on doing to it after you get the LED bulbs fixed?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Jim,
Welcome to our Bronco Community with your like New 89!

FYI, the Rear ABS is what is called an "open" hydraulic system. When an ABS stop is initiated and wheel lock is detected, the isolation or inlet valve closes, preventing any more fluid from going to the rear wheels. Then, if necessary to prevent lockup, an outlet or dump valve opens to bleed fluid out of the rear brake lines. That fluid goes to an accumulator and is held there for the remainder of the stop.In RABS "open" system, if there is a low fluid condition and the red warning light comes on, the ABS electronic control unit will detect this condition, turn the amber ABS warning light on and disable the system. The vehicle operator will still have basic brake system performance, but the benefit of RABS is lost.The reason for disabling the RABS is that the low fluid condition could be caused by a leak in the brake system, decreasing its performance.

Try this RABS Self Test; except 93-96; "...The 90 service manual gives a routine to pull RABS codes. When the light comes on, don't turn the truck off before reading the codes. Put it in park, chock both front & rear of the wheels, note whether the red brake light is lit also, then momentarily ground the test connector. The test connector comes out of a large loom under the dash, coming through the firewall, near the parking brake. On mine there are 2 similar connectors in that area, the correct one has only 1 black wire with an orange tracer running to it, & was hidden on top of the loom. The correct one is hanging down on the bottom right of the pic below. After you've grounded & ungrounded the wire, the yellow abs light starts to flash. Count the flashes. It said to not count the 1st series, because it may start in the middle. The last flash of the series is a long flash. Then it repeats over & over, until you turn the key off. Count all of the short flashes & the long one together (So 4 short & 1 long is code #5). If I remember right, it should be a number between 2 & 15 or so. If you follow Steve83's sig link, & then go to his Brakes & Hubs album, he has the code definitions for RABS.." READ MUCH MORE; miesk5 Note, Steve83 wrote, The RABS module won't ***** up the speedo or trans the way the 4WABS module can, and even if it goes bad, simply unplugging it removes it from the Gy/Bk circuit.
Source: by El Kabong

See these 1989 Ford Truck Service Manuals - Google Drive
Click "Drive" in pop-up
Includes:
1989 Ford Bronco Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual
1989 Bronco & Ford Truck Emissions Manual
1989 Ford Car/Truck Pre-Delivery Manual
1989 Light Duty Truck Volume A: Body/Chassis/Electrical Volume 1 of 2 note
Google Drive "can't scan this file for viruses. It is too large for Google to scan for viruses
." Although Google states, "Would you still like to download this file?" It CAN be downloaded and I found no virus reared its ugly head.
&
1989 Light Duty Truck Volume A: Body/Chassis/Electrical Volume 2 of 2
1989 Light Duty Truck Volume B: Engine

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by member BroncMom!

See my mostly recovered site by my friend schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO It contains boo-koo component repairs, installation & parts sources.

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

Enjoy the info!
Al

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Hey Jim, welcome to the zone!
That is one gorgeous 89!!
Congrats!
Follow miesk5’s instructions for pulling the codes, it is most likely that the bulb was burnt out.
The RABS system on those were problematic at best, the upside is the foundation brakes will work normally with an antilock fault.
Good luck with it,
Don’t forget to post if you need help!
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane