How to change E4OD shifting points?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Today I finally got some time to spend with my baby.

I replaced the TPS, and although the throttle body looked clean from the outside, it really needed a cleaning on the inside. I'm not quit sure but I think that one of the vacuum lines within the throttle body was clogged. There are two of them.

I noticed that although the bolt holes for my TSP were round, there was still enough slack for adjustment, perhaps up to 8 degrees! I adjusted the TPS at the time of installation, but before the throttle body was bolted into place.

THe truck ran great, but I also wanted to replace the gear in the transfer case to accurately depict my vehicle speed. Long story short... I already had the correct gear in there. I have 3.55 gears, and 33's for tires. The gear is a 17 tooth gear.

Sometimes there is a littlebit more of a delay in downshifting from OD to 3rd, or 4th, than I think would be perfect, but it is MUCH better than before.

Thanks so much for all of your comments, and links to additional information.

THis certainly has been a learning experience for me.

joe

Last edited by a moderator:

bultfrdtough

Reaction score
I've got a '90 bronc 302 with 33 in tires.

It came stock with 31's

I didn't change the gear for the spedometer when the we went to 33's.

I don't know how to explain this clearly.

It seems that the truck is usually running too low RPMs for the amount of throttle.

I.E. it upshifts too soon, and downshifts too late. As a result it is a little bit of a dog, (it is always running on the lower end of the torque curve) unless I get on it.

Now that I think about it, the upshifting too soon is not too bad, but the delay in downshifting, makes it kind of unresponsive.

Is there something that I need to change to regulate the shift points?

I don't have any blinking OD lights, nor any check engine lights.

Should I take it to get it checked for codes?

Thanks in advance

joe

hey joe it sounds like you need to replace your air bypass valve its located on the throttle body and it has a plug on it they ushualy run about 60 buks maybe just a little bit more depending on where u purchase it from>

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
joehey joe it sounds like you need to replace your air bypass valve its located on the throttle body and it has a plug on it they ushualy run about 60 buks maybe just a little bit more depending on where u purchase it from>
bultfrdtough,

Thanks for the tip, since I replaced the TPS, and cleared a partially clogged vacuum port, she really is running great, and shifiting properly! To check and clean my IAC is an easy enough job, and on a 18 y/o truck it could probably use a little cleaning.

For anyone following this thread,

Here is a description of the IAC, what it does and how to check and clean it.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=39

joe

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23