front seal leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scubscout53

Reaction score
My '96 Bronco is leaking around the front wheel hub. It's done if for a while. Is this an easy fix by an amateur mechanic? (I've done a lot of my own work but some jobs are beyond me)

Attachments

• bronco seal leak on front wheel.jpg
    bronco seal leak on front wheel.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 4

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo scubscout53,
I see that you have Automatic Locking Hubs.
Section 05-03C: Wheel Hubs and Bearings, Front Wheels, 4-Wheel Drive
1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, and Bronco Workshop Manual​
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

Inspection and Verification​

Automatic Locking Hubs
● Should hublocks become submerged in water or mud for a long period of time, water may get past the seals and into the hubs and axle. In this case, all water must be expelled from the system. The axle must be drained by loosening the axle cover and 4x4 Gear Oil F1TZ-19580-A (WSL-M2C191-A) used to refill the axle (F1TZ-19580-A has no equivalent). Disassemble the hubs using procedures in this section and repack the wheel bearings using procedures in this section and dry off the hublocks. Reassemble hubs using procedures in this section. Refer to Section 05-03A or Section 05-03B for replacement of outer axle shaft seals or spindle inner seal and bearing..

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I think there is just an o-ring in there.

Also if it is throwing grease out, there is probably too much grease, but there is no pressure in there. So you can clean it really well and use silicone if you want.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK