Coolant Dripping From Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JonD

JonD

Reaction score
I picked up the Dorman water pump bolt set, only needed one of the three bolts. Not sure if it's just an all-in-one kit or not but based on the photos provided, only one was right anyhow and that was the exact one that broke coming out. Called Summit and they are taking back the bolt kit that didn't provide half of what I needed. I ordered an intake and exhaust header bolt kit from ARP while I was working on the return since those will fit and I do need them ASAP. I only have about two ARP bolts installed from that kit that I need to take off and replace with one of the originals if still in good condition. Otherwise it's off to the store again. Fastenal looks like a good option but according to their site, you have to buy an entire box or bag of these which can be pretty pricey when you only need one or two. I also didn't see any 12-point heads on any of their bolts, all hex.

OP
OP
JonD

JonD

Reaction score
Well I'm getting closer to popping it back in. I've attached some photos of the build out and now on crane ready to set in place. If I can get some dry weather I'll be able to finish up the engine compartment fix up. I followed the advice to get por15. I did the degreaser full strength and then metal prep. Now waiting for drier weather so I can spray on the final coat over the metal prep. Here's my question of the day. Does anyone have or know of a site where you can get bolt sizes and locations? I kept my bell housing to engine block bolts separated but somehow they got mingled with a bunch of other monster bolts. Knowing I need six of the same bolt I just did a search through my collection. I can only find four that are the correct type and appear to be the right length, about 2". Can't find six of any that diameter and length but plenty of longer ones of the right diameter. None of the repair books help. They just give the name "bolts" but never specify size. Even the ford repair manuals never point out the bolts in the schematics that show all the parts and part numbers. Kinda screwed without those six bolts. Any ideas or sources known?

IMG_5174.JPG

IMG_5175.JPG

OP
OP
JonD

JonD

Reaction score
I went to ARPs website looking for bolt sets and they showed two different ones. One had four long and two short, the other had all six the same. Apparently I need all six the same. All six the same is for auto trans, the other is for manual. The auto one will not work for AOD or C6 but thankfully I have the E4OD so I bought the set from Summit. It's already coming today. The weekend was a wash putting the engine in anyhow. Rained Friday, finally dried up Saturday so I could spray paint the engine compartment, then rained that night and all day yesterday. I still have some painting to do. It's kind of addictive. Once you have some of the frame looking all nice and factory new, you just want to keep going and do all the rest. Ran out of paint and daylight and then it started raining so I just need to be patient. Perhaps by this weekend she'll be back in.

OP
OP
JonD

JonD

Reaction score
It's been a while so I thought I'd check in. Yesterday we finally had no rain so we rolled out the new engine and dropped in. It wasn't even easy. The hoist I've got is great for cars but lousy with 4x4 trucks. Getting it out was easy because we didn't care about the old block and it was down to short block. New one is long block and has nice things to protect. We were never going to get it all the way in so we set it down then moved the hoist over to the side to get more moveability towards the firewall. Using a 2x6 to push it away from the fender wall we pushed back then it dropped into place. Today we went back and put in the bell housing to engine block bolts. Another case of ARP bolts being wrong. Their website even said this kit was exactly right but they were too short and didn't even reach the block. Thankfully I had found all the original ones and they did the job. Bolted back the flywheel to torque converter and then the engine mount bolts. So much more to do but at least we've got some progress. Next I need to reconnect all the exhaust parts and then fuel injectors and rail then upper intake. A few more weekends of nice weather will do the trick.

RenderedContent-4F47114F-7B80-4B1A-9B57-401A67CEBD73.JPG

RenderedContent-99AD9B91-5640-4977-AA30-8F57D8064DE2.JPG

RenderedContent-53A9B727-9CCA-400C-86C7-1104FB4266E1.JPG

RenderedContent-EF55950D-E953-41B2-8CF8-09645777826F.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK