Coolant Dripping From Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JonD

JonD

Reaction score
I planned to buy new headers, head bolts, studs, gaskets, pushrods and possibly lifters. Heads are getting looked at tomorrow. Getting tested and resurfaced at least. What do you suggest assuming my pocket book is size able.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Consider;

90 w/Bassani Y-pipe, Summit® shorty headers, Flowmaster Super 40 in a 351W Source: by 90Beater (Topher, Chris)

@

http://bronco.tophersworld.com/writeup_headers.htm

&

http://bronco.tophersworld.com/writeup_muffler.htm

&

http://bronco.tophersworld.com/writeup_exhaust.htm

SEE CHRIS's other projects toops.

90 w/Ford Motorsport Shorties Installation in a 5.0 (some pics are gone)

Source: by Mud E1 (Brent R) at http://web.archive.org/web/20050208051119/http://www.bejara.com/fmsh.html

Some info by Brent, "...The headers were listed at $300 in the 2003 Motorsport catalog. I'm not sure if the price has changed any since. I paid $170 off of ebay... Suprisingly, they don't sound much different than my manifolds did, but they do perform better. I wouldn't say there is a big difference, but I can feel it most in the mid-range. My next move may be a bigger throttle body to see if the headers need more input... I spent extra for the coated headers, thinking they were the same stainless under.

NOPE! the coating has chipped by the collector and it's rusted to ****...They are stainless. The collectors, however, are made of steel and are rusting a little. But they are pretty thick so I'm not worried about it for now...

90 w/Catco Catalytic converter, Mac headers, Flowmaster Super 40, 2.5 inch Y pipe, 3 inch singles pics in a 351W

Source: by 90bronconate (bronco) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/4372/20932-4

90 w/Bassani Y Pipe Modification pic to fit around Milodon Oil Pan in a 90 5.8 (408) Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB) at

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20487/71840

91 w/Hedman Headers & Summit high flow catalytic converters & duals in a 5.8

Source: by Eric L (The Rig, SOLD) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/6/22280-4

BTW, our SPONSOR has the Hedman @ http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Headers-Hedman/products/1583/

Jeff at the Bronco Graveyard has offered a 2% discount to members of The BroncoZone for on line orders. To get your discount, enter the discount code BZMEMBER. Also you must include your BroncoZone User Name with the order.

Also has hardware, 90-97 5.8L EGR Tube, etc.

Have fun!

OP
OP
JonD

JonD

Reaction score
I'm guessing 137k based on how the rest looks. The truck ran fine prior to rad leak. It was doing fine for the first 10 mins after starting up when I replaced the rad. Then I noticed the water coming out of the muffler. It was a rough idle below 900 but would stay running around 550 with foot off gas. I assume that's because the 1-3 plugs weren't working. Once the coolant started coming out of the muffler the idle went super rough and would stay running below 1500.

OP
OP
JonD

JonD

Reaction score
I miss my old sun machine that we could hook up and it works tell you exactly what each cylinder was doing. I imagine very pricy and hard to find these days. Last time I saw one was on **** stars a few years back and he wouldn't buy it.

OP
OP
JonD

JonD

Reaction score
Taking the heads in today to have them checked out

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well, if price is no object, then why not a complete rebuild or even doing a stroker.  One way or another you would have an engine that was like a new one.

:)>-

OP
OP
JonD

JonD

Reaction score
I love my so but I'm not going to take out a second mortgage making his first car something out of a magazine. My next car I'll rebuild will be my own so perhaps that one. This one I'd like to make it look nice, i.e. Headers and valve covers, and even perhaps roller rockers and lifters but that's about it.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Seabronc said what I hedged on saying outright.

A shame to put all that pretty/expensive top-end stuff onto a lower-end that may just be "sick"

Remember.., freshened heads will sometimes blow out a weak lower-end.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Well.., that's the scary part. 

That's where a compression test early on, would have produced some clues.

Meaning a "complete" comp. test including squirting oil into cylinders / recording results, etc.

Not 100 % but again, gives clues as to the condition of the rings.

There's no way to tell at this point.  Doing this over a keyboard is hardly the best.

Hands on/eyes on is obviously better.

You can gamble it's OK & re-assemble. or pull the block & short-block it, or buy a short block.

I've rebuilt a few blocks in the vehicle.  Pulled the pan & pushed the pistons out the top.

Honed the cylinders, new rings & rod bearing, etc.  They couldn't have run better & lasted

longer but that isn't always possible. I knew what was wrong/needed B/4 I started.

OP
OP
JonD

JonD

Reaction score
Dropped the oil pan. What a pain in the ****. Took me at least three hours fighting the exhaust y pipe that was in the way. Haynes made it sound so simple. Raise the engine and drop the pan. Ha. Had to remove the muffler and tailpipe hangers so it could swing back far enough to give clearance. I can't wait to put back in now. I'm going to do a complete visual and clean out every hole and part I can. Looks very good below except slight signs the coolant was there. I've got a remote starter so at least I can sit there and rotate the shaft to see what looks bad. I'll post a pic later of the crankshaft. Just tired as **** right now and don't feel like doing anything but relax and drink a hard root beer.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
WOW..!!   Amazing.., I hope I'm steering you in the right direction.

If you're going to pull the pistons, They all belong back in the same hole, facing the right way,

with the same rod & rod cap.  And, of course, the correct torque.

OP
OP
JonD

JonD

Reaction score
I'm not planning on pulling the pistons yet. Let's hope during rotation it all looks good.

MaximusBronk

Reaction score
I have been running JBA headers now for years.  Warning:   Be sure to protect your spark plug wiring from them.  I have melted a few before I learned the hard way.  Also, I would suggest heat protection covers at the connection from cable to spark plugs.  The headers will melt these as well due to the proximity of the spark plug head to the heat from the headers.

Rod

OP
OP
JonD

JonD

Reaction score
I'll have to check to make sure those JBA headers are CARB legal here in CA. I've seen the covers but never used before. Guess I need to look them up too.

MaximusBronk

Reaction score
I don't know the specs of California emissions controls, but they passed every test here in Texas for the last 7 or 8 years here.  And that was in combination with oversized mass flow metering, and other high performance additions, etc, etc.  I pushed the envelope on many fronts here in Texas in regards to emissions testing, but passed every time.....barely.  Where are you located there in CA?  I travel there often on business.

Rod

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Sorry guys..,

Let's not drift off the topic at hand here.  It's frowned on for obvious reasons.

You can start a new topic as to exhaust issues or, do a PM (personal message)

by draging over names.

Thanks,

B

MaximusBronk

Reaction score
Not a problem.  I was only responding to the 25Aug posting in which the question was asked about headers.

Respectfully,

Rod

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK