89 Bronco II new to me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grumpy old man

Reaction score
Just found an 89 Bronco II Eddie Bauer for my granddaughter. Bought it cheap enough that I can afford to fix it RIGHT. It has been sitting for a loooooong time and as a result it only has 68000 miles on the clock. Will start on starting fluid and will idle about 300 rpm, touch the throttle and it dies. I am guessing that the injectors are plugged from sitting for only God knows how many years. Ordered a new set and will find out if I am right when they come.

My current problem is the front brakes, wheel bearings and automatic hubs. I plan to rebuild or replace everything in the brake system. rebuild calipers, replace pads clean out all the old grease and repack everything with Lubrication Engineers. drain and refill both axles, the shotgun approach just do it all.

My question is the front hubs and auto locks. I have never seen them, I got out of the business 20 years before this was built And I know nothing about it. I really don't want to go in with guns blazing poking prodding and hammering to get it apart and wind up ruining something that is probably expensive.

Is there a publication somewhere that I can get for reference, or some other source of information.

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer,

Dwight

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Hey Dwight,
welcome to the zone!
I was a tech at a ford dealer when those were new.
The hubs are no problem to remove, the wheels pretty much hold them on. (The factory put a couple tinnerman nuts on to hold them for assembly, but those were usually gone after the first service.
The auto hubs were fairly problematic and not very serviceable as I recall.
Warn made a fantastic manual hub conversion kit that was very easy to swap over. I doubt that they are still available, however there are likely lots at the salvage yard on 88-92 ranger/Bronco2's. if you source used, make sure to get all of the snap rings, washers and bearings under the hub, (They retain the axle shafts and are part of the kit.)
Hope that helps.
Cheers

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
Yes, right after I posted the thread I thought about Haynes manuals. They do have a manual for this, purchased the hard copy and for an extra fin got the on line because it was available immediately. Got everything apart without any major issues, did have one of the snap rings that holds everything together take flight. Still haven't found it in my something less than clean garage. Still looking but if no success hopefully ford still services that snap ring. The automatic hubs look to be a fairly simple mechanism, will know more when I wash all the grease off and take a careful look. If the problem with them is sticky parts, since I have been using lubrication engineers products I have never had a problem with sticky parts. It cured the rear steer on my 03 GMC quadrasteer. Have not had a trouble light since I took it apart and greased it all up with LE so here is hoping.

It is for my granddaughter who is going to Oregon U and now that her freshman year is over she can have a car on campus. She is presently driving a new beetle convertible and I have been keeping that POS running for a couple of years now. With what I know about it I said there is no way you are going to be 1000 miles away from home depending on that German Junk, what do you want? Her answer? An older Bronco! Any 19 year old who will toss her Beetle drop top aside without a second glance and get all bubbly about an 89 Bronco is alright in my book.

The weather up there does get white but not excessively so, so If I can get the automatic hubs working marginally it will probably be OK. I just ordered All the brake parts. what I can't rebuild gets replaced. If it doesn't run that is an inconvenience but if it doesn't stop that is altogether a different matter.

Still waiting for the injectors. They were supposed to be here today but they were delayed. What a shock!!

Need to get it drivable to check the trans. If it works I will drop the pan, pull the converter plug pull the valve body and install a transgo shift kit. When I did this for a living I never did a trans overhaul with out a research kit (that is what they were before they became transgo LLC). Back then you could take a shaky C4 or C6 put a shift kit in it and get another 20-30,000 out of the trans.

What about trans fluid. In the last decade or so apparently trans fluid has changed dramatically. do I still want mercon in this or is there a better choice?

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Sounds like you have it well in hand.
That will be an A4LD, (overdrive version of a C-3.) They were a bit on the weak side as well (I did Automatics in the early nineties at the dealership before moving to drivability.)
Stick with Mercon for sure, a filter and a transgo kit will help too.
Also, they took the converter drain away when they put the lockup clutch in. You have to use a flush machine on the cooler lines to get it all. The pan is good for 5.5 quarts, the othe 6 will be trapped in the converter.

Watch the high and low pressure fuel pumps in those as well, low is in the tank, hi is on the frame rail.
Good luck

Cheers

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
I am attempting to rebuild or replace everything that might go wrong. would it be worth it to just change both pumps while it is here instead of waiting for it to be 1000 miles away? I have been out of the game since 1990 and then I was just supervising an LAPD repair shop. My wife has driven Lexus because I have never had one go less than 200,000 miles without a breakdown. I drove an SL 500 for about 14 years with continual maintenance but when it started to go wrong it really went wrong. My granddaughters VW has been a continual PITA and now I wont even check the oil on anything German. My current car is a 1963 Pontiac convertible with an L83 and 6L80 trans out of a 15 silverado that has been recammed by comp and has scared the **** out of more than one youngster that thought he had a fast car. Bottom line is that I have a very large gap in my US car experience. Therefore I appreciate having people like you that give me a brain to pick.
Ever known of someone who drilled and tapped the converter for a plug? I am not opposed to doing stuff like that.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I am attempting to rebuild or replace everything that might go wrong. would it be worth it to just change both pumps while it is here instead of waiting for it to be 1000 miles away?
I would say that is a great idea from a preventative perspective.
The pumps are a big problem area for sure.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Ever known of someone who drilled and tapped the converter for a plug? I am not opposed to doing stuff like that.

The issue is that where you have access, you will be drilling into the surface the clutch runs on.
Do the drain and fill at the pan with a new filter, then disconnect the cooler supply line and run it into a container while adding fluid at the dipstick till it comes out clean, then reconnect and top it off,
Same as a flush!

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
You say that there are two pumps. I have inspected the fuel line from the tank to the injector manifold and there is nothing in it but the filter. The Haynes manual also only mentions one. Am I missing something?

I will replace that one, I need to get to the gauge wiring anyway. Gas gauge read full with the tank dead empty. This thing sat long enough to dry out the tank.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
You say that there are two pumps. I have inspected the fuel line from the tank to the injector manifold and there is nothing in it but the filter. The Haynes manual also only mentions one. Am I missing something?

I will replace that one, I need to get to the gauge wiring anyway. Gas gauge read full with the tank dead empty. This thing sat long enough to dry out the tank.
My mistake then, I didn’t think they went to a single pump till much later.
On that note, the old low pressure in tank pump and the newer high pressure in tank single pump look very similar, yours is in the era of the change over, so just be sure they get you the right one.

The sending unit for the gauge should come with the pump assembly. Which will likely be all you need to fix the gauge.

I’d change the tank as well, my boys and I have resurrected many (stored vehicles and the crud that is left over in the tank is nothing but heartache and woe!

Good luck with it
Cheers

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting I would have thought it was a 2 pump system as well with the second pump right below the driver's floor board inside the frame rail.

Would be great if it only has one, but might be harder to find the correct one.

Used to drill and put plugs in converters, but started just flushing through the cooler line and had great results doing that. Safer than damaging a converter.

Motech

Reaction score
Everything is covered quite well here, and your Bronco II does indeed use a single, in-tank pump.

You may have options when replacing it of just pump motor itself. As previously mentioned, if you get the entire module, you will get your new sender for your gauge too. Try and stay away from certain brands, like Spectre and even Delphi. If Motorcraft is still available, spend the extra $$. Denso works too if possible. Absent those two choices, Delphi will be the lesser of the remaining evils.

Of course you'll be doing your filter same time. It's also a great preventative idea to replace Fuel Pump and EEC Power Relays. They both live in the underhood power distribution box as shown in photo. Stick with Motorcraft, should still be readily available.

download (33).png

One thought came to mind reading through your posts.

"Her answer? An older Bronco!"

Are you certain she meant a Bronco II? What if she meant a gen 1? :eek:

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
She was sitting with me at my desk while I was perusing adds. As soon as the picture of this one popped up on the screen figureatively speaking she started vibrating all over and cast aside the VW drop top without a second glance. As clean and as dirty as it was at the same time she looked past the paint, or lack thereof trusting that Papa could fix that. Clean in that there is only one dent in it and no evidence of any body work. Dirty in the sense that it probably never had a bath in all of its 34 years. The former owner was a desert rat, I can tell from the totalled paint and the built up film on all the shiny parts. fortunately it is polishing off with relatively little work and will be acceptable when done.

She is not a gen 1 person. She wants power windows and A/C. Definately not a purist.

The full size is too big but she would like the removable half top. You just can't have everything.

With regards to the pump doing a search there are numerous adds for a pump that fits 89 & 90. apparently those years are unique to themselves. Will definately look for motorcraft. Because of the fact that it has set or a very long time I will be flushing out all the lines with the tank out and yes replacing the filter and all the injectors.

Thank you for the diagram. Poking around under the hood I can find nothing that has been mutilated which is unheard of on a 34 year old vehicle. the only non stock thing I have found under the hood is the K&N filter which is probably a blessing if I am correct that it belonged to a desert rat. May have saved the cylinder walls.

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
OK got most of the brake parts and am trying to assemble the front brakes. Everything cleaned up and I have the rotor on and bearings adjusted. Am trying to get the inner half of the locking assembly over the sleeve on the bearing adjusting nut and it will not go. I am sure that it needs to go on because there is nothing else that can sit against the needle bearing ****** washer on that sleeve. There are three spring loaded lugs that need to expand over the sleeve and I do not want to get too heavy handed and break parts that may or may not be available. What am I missing or doing wrong?

Motech

Reaction score
I have to confess that four-wheel drive train is not my forté. I've got all the special sockets, and used to be fairly proficient with them 25 years ago, but I have struggled with them since I begin specializing in drivability 25 years back. Now I'd much rather hand them off to my staff.

Nine times out of 10, we end up upgrading to manual locking hubs.

If this gets any more frustrating for you, scrap it and do that. They're not that expensive, they're much easier to install, and you'll avoid future headaches of the auto hubs failing a thousand miles away.

Motech

Reaction score
And my hat is off to you for your role in the vehicular sensibilities expressed by your granddaughter. I agree, the Bronco II is the best bet for her. I hope she likes it as much as the boys (and the girls) around her will be impressed by it.

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
I already came to that conclusion for the same reasons you express. I started taking the caps apart and found problems, since I am attempting to eliminate any potential problem manual hubs have become a necessity. Been searching the web and found some that are quite affordable, will be ordering them today. Eugene Oregon does not get that much snow so chances are she will never need the 4WD but she has the option.

I really did not have much to do with her love for that car, unless it was that she has seen me drive older cars. I have come to find out that she has liked the bronco since she was in her pre teens. It only came out when we started looking for a replacement for the blasted German Junk.

My plan is to make it into something that will cause all the guys (and maybe girls) to turn as green as the countryside up there. All the bright work is polishing out nicely, It is downright dirty but the desert environment kept it from rusting. I am stripping the clearcoat off of the wheels re-polishing them and will be spraying on another clear coat. The paint is going to be a really striking teal green. I can see it in my mind and it will really stand out in a parking lot.

Motech

Reaction score
I love this sheet above all, this father of grandfather offspring bond. Brings a tear.

I missed out on these types of projects with my own son. When he got to that age of fun times tinkering with mechanical stuff, the rebellious teen context dominated, so wrenching and motorcycles were rejected. Then later in life, when he was about 19, he's all, "Dad, all my friends, my teachers, coaches, they all know who you are and what you do. It's embarrassing that everyone knows Motech, and know I'm your son, so they expect me to know too. But I don't know sheet about mechanics Dad. Why didn't you teach me?"

They forget the rejection so easily.

Anyhow, yours is blessed with a good grandpa. There would be something extra special about doing a car project like this with a granddaughter versus a grandson I believe, and I'm envious.

BUT...

That rebellious son of mine, my only child, has finally provided a grandchild. She was born last year on the 1st of june, and I can only hope to be around and strong enough to do something similar with her in 15 to18 years.

Gives a skeptic motivation to stay in the race.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I love this sheet above all, this father of grandfather offspring bond. Brings a tear.

I missed out on these types of projects with my own son. When he got to that age of fun times tinkering with mechanical stuff, the rebellious teen context dominated, so wrenching and motorcycles were rejected. Then later in life, when he was about 19, he's all, "Dad, all my friends, my teachers, coaches, they all know who you are and what you do. It's embarrassing that everyone knows Motech, and know I'm your son, so they expect me to know too. But I don't know sheet about mechanics Dad. Why didn't you teach me?"

They forget the rejection so easily.

Anyhow, yours is blessed with a good grandpa. There would be something extra special about doing a car project like this with a granddaughter versus a grandson I believe, and I'm envious.

BUT...

That rebellious son of mine, my only child, has finally provided a grandchild. She was born last year on the 1st of june, and I can only hope to be around and strong enough to do something similar with her in 15 to18 years.

Gives a skeptic motivation to stay in the race.
I was lucky, we had 3 sons, all of them lived in the shop with me, we got to build and race stock cars together for almost 10 yrs. Now we rescue and refurbish abandoned stuff bound for the scrap yard, even though they are in their 30’s, we still have our nights in the shop. I am well aware of how blessed I am to have this!
I hope it works out for you Motech!

OP
OP
G

grumpy old man

Reaction score
I can only hope that your granddaughter is the darling compliant sweetheart that mine is. In a way it isn't fair because her mother was the poster child for the rebelious teenager. If my granddaughter were the teenager that my daughter was someone would have died by now. All my daughter says when the comparison arises is I wasn't THAT bad. I just smile and say Oh yes you were. In her defense, eventually she turned out really good.

So long story short it is worth all the effort to build the bronco because she is the only grandchild I will ever have and she is a darling.

I am looking forward to the possibility some day that she tells an admirer with an air of pride, "My Papa built it for me.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
finally provided a grandchild. She was born last year on the 1st of june, and I can only hope to be around and strong enough to do something similar with her in 15 to18 years.
Grand kids are more awesome then your own kids. LOL They cost less, they go home when they are cranky. LOL.

We just got our 4th grand daughter. No boys yet. But I have two kids that are not even dating yet. The oldest is 2.5 years and I am her favorite. We do a bunch of stuff together. Daughter facetimes with the wife and I can hear grandaughter in the back ground. Grandpa? Grandpa? Grandpa? Grandpa? Through the entire phone conversation. LOL

One of the other girls is 1.5 years and she is fascinated with cars. So that is what we play with.

I have often wondered how much work I could get done if I didn't have to babysit grandkids so often, but ***** that. those projects can wait.

Have all the same fears. Hope I am able to do things with them as they get old enough to want things like that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane