74 Auto Steering Collum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samo

Reaction score
I have rebuilt my collum recently and it seems fine although I have not been out on the road yet. After installing it I have noticed some loosening of the outer sleeve leaving a gap on the collum. I think this is just an appearence thing but can I thighten it up while on the vehicle?

Sorry guys I have a 74 under construction.

Last edited by a moderator:

admin1

Supreme Commander
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Let us know what year the column is.

D

Daran ('72 and '77 EB&#3

Can't you just loosen the column under the dash (and under the hood) and slide it up and down a bit to tighten the gap? Do that with the steering shaft connected to the steering box. I just recently installed a new Grant wheel (love it) and the directions pointed out that 'trick' for early Fords. I didn't have to do it because my gap was good, but it should work for you. Good luck.

Daran

G

Thanks Daran,

I tried loosening the bolts under the dash and they are as far forward as they can go.I think that if there was a way to loosen the clamp at the lower end of the shaft and move everything up it would help but things are too close and I am afraid of messing up.It works fine now but I dont like the look.I too installed a Grant wheel and like it alot.

Thanks Samo

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948