Tailgate Window Stuck Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blitz4075

Reaction score
I just got a 95 xl with the 351. i love it. its about to be summer up here in fairbanks alaska and i gotta get the top off. the back window is stuck up. the power switch on the dash doesent work. i dont have a key for the tailgate. i have heard of a manual release in the tailgate but i cant find it. need some help please

Juice

Reaction score
first off, make sure the tailgate is totaly closed, there is a switch in latching system and if the tailget is loose, the window won't go down. if it is shut properly, then the switch is probobly bad, and you will have to jump it. it happens alot in broncos, and everyone pretty much just bypasses the switch. i would tell ya how to do it, but i haven't done it yet, just talkd to peoplethat have, sorry

OP
OP
B

blitz4075

Reaction score
and heres another question for anyone out there. i hear there is a way to disconnect power from the window motor, and jump the motor. switching positive and negative will make it go up or down. well i know nothing of electrical. someone dumb it down for me. thanks

Juice

Reaction score
if its not closed, then put a sholder into it, or have someone big put pressure while someone else tries to put the window down. if it still doesn't work your gonna have to jump the switch in the tailgate, which involves removing the access panel and playin with some wires if i'mnot mistakin

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
You get a regular car battery and bring it wit you in the back seat. With 2 wires, one for each post on the battery (+ and -), you have to "jump" the connection to the window motor. I would get a friend that knows how to do this if you don't know how.

It is also possible to remove the window from the "regulator", or the thingy with two arms that makes the glass go up and down. If you do this, you must FIRST tie the arms to each other. Otherwise, when the glass comes down, the arms will violently spring back, as they are under alot of tension, and the glass weighs close to 20 pounds. You don't want to risk breaking the glass or losing a finger!!! The glass is mounted to a metal strip along it's bottom edge, and this strip is mounted to the arms with 4 bolts. I only do this when the motor has failed and doesn't spin at all.

G

ok. now about this bypass of the tailgate sensor. how do i do that???

Justshootme84

Reaction score
The wiring harness for the tailgate runs from the key switch on the tg driver's side to the window motor in the tg center, You find the connector from the motor and unplug it, then jump to the motor-side of the connector. In the pic, the gray connector is the one I'm talking about. Someone had cut the wires to the motor, then installed a blue splice connector

d=108384&toggle=fullsize&filename=tgparts3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Right, you are bypassing the short circuit or faulty switch in the system between the regular battery in the engine bay and the motor for the window. Jumping simply means directly applying 12V battery power to the motor, or any accsessory you do this to, for only a brief period of time. You don't want to leave it hooked up this way, because you can burn out the motor or possibly have an electrical fire without the proper protection from the fuses and switches in the system. If you jumper the motor and the glqass does not go down, just try reversing the wires (+ and -). If that doesn't work, or you don't get the motor to run, then it is already burned out. If it runs but the glass won't move, then the motor gear is stripped.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RezBarron