Exhaust And Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I pose this question to all Bronco owners with a custom exhaust system. I currently have a single catalytic converter, single-in Flowmaster with dual-exits behind the passngr-tire, 2-1/2". I love the sound, it's a deep 40Hz rumble at cruising speed, a really sweet tone. also street-legal in Texas.

I have considered headers, pros and cons, with a y-pipe to a single cat. and my current set-up aft of that, but I really like the dual glasspacks on my '85 Chevy. I know the Bronco t-case interferes with true duals, so it will prolly have to be a custom job for that. Problem is, no muffler shop around will touch headers, let alone the dual exhaust w/ gp's.

Any suggestions are welcome!!!

Sorny

Reaction score
Well I have true duals on my 89 Bronc and it seems like a staright forward exhause job. From what I can tell is nothing special had to be done. I also am curently looking at headers and changing my mufflers to glasspacks, and the guy I get to do all my exhaust said he could do it with out a problem. So from what I take is that you don't need custom exhaust.

Sorny

Reaction score
Also personally I think that having headers going into single exhaust kind of defeats the purpose oh having headers. Cause headers are supose to make your vehical breath better and having singles with that just doesn't work. That my opinon anyway.

Gunner

Reaction score
hey randy i have true duals when i take the pictures this weekend i will snap the set up to so you can see it. but the arent hard at all. as for the headers ***** a shop bolt them beeotches on your self. get the dual hi-flow cats from catco and they bolt on not weld. and you can order a bolt on exhaust to so no welding is necessary the only thing you might have trouble with is finding the GP's that just bolt on and dont need to be welded.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Thanks guys!!! I agree with the headers not getting full benefit with a Y-pipe and single cat. Where you have the dual pipes, is the driver's side routed underneath the transfer case? I guess that's my main concern, interference with that and the driveshaft. You are right, too, that I can install the headers myself. But i don't know what I'll do after that. I fired up the old Chevy yesterday, and I love the sound!!! Vroom!!!

Gunner

Reaction score
well you have to wait until this weekend. remember my beast isnt at my house i have to drive just to get to it. but when i go there this weekend to work on it i will see where everything runs and take the pictures and show you the set up. i didnt do it myself it was my uncles gift to me.

freak

Reaction score
Justshootme84,here's some picture's of my exhaust.There ****** headers with 3" mandrel bent pipe that go into 2 Flowmaster 40 series Delteflow mufflers.

725&toggle=fullsize&filename=Picture%20031.jpg

727&toggle=fullsize&filename=Picture%20032.jpg

728&toggle=fullsize&filename=Picture%20033.jpg

d=120089&toggle=fullsize&filename=DSC00255.jpg

The only thing I wish I would of done different is byt the stainless steel Flowmaster's.

Last edited by a moderator:

4xfan78

Reaction score
Hey GQ you cannot have headers on youre truck in Alaska. I just moved from there 2 years ago. If it did not come from the factory with it you cannot put it on your truck. All emission,exauhst,and engine components have to be on your truck and work properly. If it doesnt you cannot put it on the road(at least thats how it is in anchorage and surrounding cities) good luck.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Freak, that's the set-up I'm looking for, except with glasspacks/ GP's. I listened to your sound clip, and that's way mo' better than what I have now. Only problem I might have is that there are no cat's/ catalytic converters. That's what keeps me from doing that, so I ask you guys that said the pipes are routed above the crossmember on the passenger side. Do y'all have a single cat or 2 cats?

GQ, I have also heard that emissions laws in Alaska are similar to California, you must keep everything stock. It's not as tough here in the country in Texas, but the big cities like Houston & Dallas have emissions or smog testing. Therefore, no local shop will install headers, remove cats, or do any mods that change what is stock equipment on that year model. No inspection station will pass you, either.

I think I'll just run straight pipes up thru the hood on either side of the shaker!!!!

Gunner

Reaction score
i have the cats in my set up i just cant remember where they are. but it is basically set up just like freaks. only my exhaust tips run all the way to the rear and turn out to the sides so when i start it up anyone standing next to the rear tire gets a little wet. but i promise i will take the pictures this weekend.

Gunner

Reaction score
ok i couldnt wait i went on my lunch break to take the picture. first my cats are located under the driver seat and the passenger seat. and the picture is sloppy because i used a friends camera phone. but on pipe runs under the passenger seat around the t-case and the other runs under the driver seat and over the t-case which is possible because of the 3" body lift that nobody likes. but hah found a purpose for it after all huh. oh yeah here is the picture

Picture5.jpg

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Thanks gunner!!! I haven't thought much of the body lift thing, but that would give me more room. Now you know why I want a 78/79 Bronco--no cats!!! I was shocked to find I had two cats on my 84 Bronco when I got the new Flowmaster installed. Of course, both of them fell out on the ground when the shop cut out the old muffler!!!

I decided that after my next inspection (this month in May), I will just go with headers straight into GP's and out the back at an angle. If that's not street legal, then it will just be a trailer hog for racing and on the farm. I just wanted cats for each side, and I don't see that working for me.

Gunner

Reaction score
why wont it work for you? i have 1 cat on each pipe. **** i dont even need them see in MA 20 years old is a classic and is exempt from emissions testing. i love it. but my rig already sets off car alarms if i took the cats out i wouldnt be able to hear anything. i know a cat isnt a resonator but it does muffle some sound.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar