1990 spare tire carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitey

Reaction score
first post did a search.

i recently bought a 1990 bronco xlt, 302 efi in good condition other than the usual minor things that i'm trying to to restore piece by piece. i've just relocated from texas to california (los angeles area) and i've ALWAYS wanted a bronco. it's my dream vehicle (some guys dream of owning porsches or ferraris- i dreamt of a bronco) but, in texas i guess because of so many hunters and off roaders they're so expensive. anyway here in california i guess with everyone being so environmentally "conscious" i picked mine up for $1500.

anyhow the guy i bought it from took really good care of it but, he removed the swing out spare carrier. he left the "mounting Plates" attached to the truck and he put the carrier in the bed for me so i have most of the parts but not all.

my question is: the part (at least one of them) i am missing is the piece on the top of the tailgate that the swing bar "catches" is this the latch or the support? i also think i am missing the hold down plates or nuts.

i have found most of the parts online but, i'm also going to hit the salvage yards to see if i can find them before i order anything.

my other question: does anyone have a diagram of a 1990 spare carrier? the one in the owners manual isn't too hot and i'd really like to see what i'm missing so i can repaint it and reinstall.

or does anyone have a pic of theirs they can upload so i can take a look and maybe ask some questions about?

thanks.

OP
OP
whitey

whitey

Reaction score
awesome thanks alot. looks like i just need the support and the plate and nut. not too bad, i'm trying to do one thing a week (depending on cost of course), this week i already ordered replacement side mirrors and a headliner kit. next week i guess i'll scrap for the parts for the carrier. after that all i need are the bumpers and shocks and steering box replaced. then seats reupholstered and a soft top. then i'm saving up for a engine and tranny rebuild. and finally redo the paint- which is in really good condition except for the usual road chips.

i'm so stoked that i finally got my big bronco, luckily like i said the guy i got it from took really good care of it. the only real issues which are small- there's a tiny pin leak in the steering box, a rip in the drivers seat (he was a BIG DUDE), and a dent in the front bumper. rear end was rebuilt, brand new radiator and cooling parts and a/c was rebuilt as well. i've already done a complete tune up. polished and waxed.

i'm trying to restore almost to original but will install better shocks with a possible slight lift. i also want a soft top because i love having the top off in the summer here but man was that thing heavy! i did add some carr black side steps, and a blaupunkt.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar