Fake spare tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DLR

Reaction score
. Because of the weight. Thinking of building a lightweight round frame fake spare tire and put the cover over it. 1995 Bronco. Has anyone done this? Or can one buy plastic fake tire. At 67 yrs old never had a flat tire driving, I have no need for a real spare, I walk around and look see if tires are getting low often. Lol Thanks for your input!

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome.

I totally get it. Those things are heavy getting up there and they are ******* the 1/4 panel and tailgate.

Anyway, Great idea. How about an old school conversion van tin cover? You could make some kind of wooden frame to support it maybe?

It really could just be a plywood cutout of a wheel and tire then attach the tin cover over it.

Not sure if those tin covers are still a thing, but used to be very common.

ablediver

Reaction score
DLR,
Here's an idea. Take the tire off along with the entire spare tire carrier. Replace the spare tire carrier bolts with the originals in their place to cover the bolt holes. Take the spare and lay it horizontally on the rear of the inside cargo deck. You can build a cargo shelf with either 'King Starboard' for the non-wood, low-maintenance deal or stained plywood for the low-cost deal. This way, you can fit a full size spare tire (there's 48 " between the wheel wells) and go vertical with storage. This will leave you with enough room on the sides for, let's say a hyd. jack in a .50 cal can as well as a tow strap and a modicum of tools. Vertically, you can go almost 27" off the floor until things go to the top of the rear seat. If you'd like pics, just reply "show me" and I'll get some of my cargo area storage solution off to you before the end of the day on Saturday.

All that said, all of our needs are different here. Some need their back seat for the kiddos, in-laws, etc. I don't and would sooner pull mine than drive anywhere without a usable spare. That day will be when Murphy's Law of Road Hazards come into play and I'm screwed. I appreciate your situation on the weight of the spare. I'm in your age group with two (2) torn rotator cuffs.
Ablediver been there. Ablediver speak truth.

Ablediver out

L\Bronco

Reaction score
At 67 yrs old never had a flat tire driving, I have no need for a real spare,
Im with Motech, I think you just said “shutout”!
Go to some old tire shops, they used to have life size plastic mock-ups hanging on the walls. Maybe you could score one.
I agree with you, I love the look, but can’t stand the weight on the quarter panel.
Good luck
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane