exhaust questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abolden

Reaction score
alright I have a couple options, my wife asked what i wanted for my birthday next week and I told her dual exhaust, she agreed. My questions are........I have a shop that will do the job a few different ways, they have told me either way they will remove the second cat, #1 install a single in, dual out flowmaster muffler and put 3 in chrome tips for 280, or 3 in stainless tips for 350. The other is a y-pipe and install 2 glass packs, and 3 in chrome tips for 200. The guy kept telling me that the flowmaster will sound better, but I want something that will sound decent, and what I know of exhaust the glass packs are definately going to give me the rumble I am looking for. The shop also said the flowmaster is better performance, are they just trying to get more money, or should I go with his advice??

TIA

Anthony

jgarza

Reaction score
well i just got my exhaust on. i got the vortex exhaust cat back system. it comes off of both my cats withe the stainless steel piping and the chrome tips. they also bent me dual swept side exhaust. the only thing i heard about the flowmaster is that it is one constant sound, so it starts and then just gets louder and louder as you go faster..with the vortex exhaust it fires up nice and loud but then the faster i go the more it mellows out unless i gun it or something..but it sounds really nice..

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
Im a big fan of true duals if its worth it to you. These are just my opinions but 3 inch tips are too big. Glass packs/flowmasters are going to give a tiny boost in perfomance because itll let the engine breathe easily but dont expect to turn it into a barn burner from just that. :)>- Good luck with whatever you decide.

OP
OP
A

abolden

Reaction score
I would like to go true dual, after getting headers, but that is a bit down the road. I am just wondering which of the two options will sound better?? and will it really be a big difference between the two.

mbtech2003

Reaction score
i just had my exhaust system installed with out the second cat and useing a magnaflow muffler which i think sounds better than the flowmaster that i previsly had on my truck. it is the 5X8X14" muffler it is not loud unless u really get on it. it uses a 3" inlet and duel 2.5" outlets that go out the side after the rear tires. i'll get some pics later on today and post them. :)>-

BLADE262US

Reaction score
I ran true duals on my 89 headers back is 2,5 stainless steel with 40 series flowmasters straight out the back ,I really like the sound but Ill tell ya if you stand on it in town you will have the local cops attention LOL they know me here so they just shake there heads but it is loud when you get on it I would not go glass packs flowmasters are very durable and efficient and if your worried about the cost difference I have gotten all mine off ebay theres guys on there selling a pair brand new for under $100 shipped cant beat that anywhere . I also dont think you need to go as big as I did either I just had access to the 2.5 stainless and wanted to use it . If you do run straight out the back if your tailgate isnt sealed you are going to smell exhaust fumes so make sure you think about that maybe have it brought out side behind back tires . My vote is for the flowmasters though . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

mbtech2003

Reaction score
heres the pics sorry their dirty i just had snow here and they love to salt the roads

000_0720.JPG

000_0721.JPG

000_0722.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

mbtech2003

Reaction score
lol its their the dirt is hideing it i've "fixed" the right side once with bondo just saving up to get new truck sides or patch pannels which ever i can afford. :-&

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar