Steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69Bronco94

Reaction score
what kind of truck/year can i get a steering column from that will fit into my 69 Bronco?

S_bolt19

Reaction score
what are you wanting to do with it? Tilt? Power Steering? Need a little more info to point you right.

OP
OP

69Bronco94

Reaction score
replacing the original one I have. And i am goin to power steering and the stering shaft is too long on the stock on. Tilt would be nice but not to big of a deal to me.

BASE861

The Big Nothin'
Reaction score
replacing the original one I have. And i am goin to power steering and the stering shaft is too long on the stock on. Tilt would be nice but not to big of a deal to me.
19628[/snapback]

You could use the lower sector shaft and column from a late 70s Ford truck that has some adjustment to it to match and you can cut it to make it fit right. Also don't throw your old one away as you might need to get the rag joint end or the universal joint end from it to make it fit the new shaft to the box. I have a '79 tilt automatic column in my '74 with power steering and this is the setup I use. I also wired it to the Centec harness so it is definitely a great column and JBG sells the rebuild parts for it cheap. The new column is shorter however, especially so when you through the automatic shifter into the mix but it is not any trouble. Tilt is a good thing but I have found that it isn't very useful unless you have seats that are as low profile as the stock ones. I have Lesabre seats in mine and there isn't too much tilt to it.

S_bolt19

Reaction score
If you are going to just do a PS upgrade, do the simplest one possible. Get the steering column, shaft, pump & box out of a 73-75 Bronco. The box will bolt directly up and into place where your old box was. You will have to do some modifications to the inner fender and the inner grill though because the PS box is longer than yours is and the PS shaft has a rag joint and yours doesn't. I put PS on my 72 last summer, took me about 2 hours to do the conversion from start to finish, but that is because I have a late 72 EB and it has fenders and grill set up for the anticipated PS in 73, means I didn't have to cut them to get the box & rag joint to fit. But other than than it is a very simple swap and there isn't much that is difficult about it. There is also a Scout, Toyota & F-150 conversions that I have seen, but none are as easy and user friendly to do.

The reason you want 73-75 Bronco is because you wont have to change your tie rod/track bar setup either. From 66-75 they used a "T" steering linkage and in 76 & 77 they used an "Inverted Y" setup. If you go with this PS set up you will have to get the steering linkage to go with it.

Bandit

BANDIT
Reaction score
<)
cowboy.gif

what kind of truck/year can i get a steering column from that will fit into my 69 Bronco?
19544[/snapback]

You may want to consider a new one,my wife ordered one of those flaming river stainless tilt columns from Wild Horses.Ill tell ya what it changed completely the road feel on my 1973.The steering shaft is telescopic,and has grease zerks,its real beefy.That one of the best improvements ive done.No more wandering steering ,nice tight road feel...no morte rag shaft...good luck. B)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar