Windows and tailgate window help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmassey619

Reaction score
I am a new owner of an 86 bronco. The power windows and tailgate window are both not working. I checked all the fuses and wondered if the motors were blown. I am Leary of this theory because I thought it was a little weird for all 3 to be blown. The driver side switch is hooked up but there are no buttons on it. The rear window switch on the dash and passenger switch are both in good condition. Do I need to go ahead or buy new motors or is there a simple fix? Thanks -James

Seabronc

Reaction score
The common link between these windows is fuse 14.  If that is not the problem, troubleshoot one problem at a time, wiring diagrams attached below.  They are for an 83, but the window circuits are the same as yours.  

You will note that there are two fuses for the rear window, one is for the dash switch and one is fir the tail gate switch,  If neither switch works, and all fuses are definitely good, then you need to do further diagnosis before spending money on a new motor.  You will need a multi-meter, some jumpers, (a 12V battery from a cordless drill makes a good source to jumper from).  If you can run the window motor using a battery and set of jumpers, the problem is in the control circuitry.  You can do the same for the driver and passenger window motors.

If the motor runs but the window doesn't move, the problem is probably the drive gear which can be replaced instead of the entire motor.

Good luck,

:)>-

PG72a.jpg

PG64a.jpg

PG11a.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member