Castor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DunnellonDave

Reaction score
Can someone tells me if figuring out the castor degree is something anyone can do or will I need to take it to a tire and alignment shop? Thanks!

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Castor is the toe in and out of the front wheels.

diag_toe.gif

Camber is the *** put on the wheels for better turning/ steering traction.

diag_camber.gif

IMHO (In My Honest Opinion), Unless you know exactly what your doing and have the proper tools... I would let the tire shop handle this one.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Ditto Skitter except;

Castor is seperate from "toe-in" Castor moves the wheel slightly aft of center. (like the front wheels on a shopping cart)

But.., you'll need to give up a bit more info. in order to be more specific.

The EB has NO adj. for castor...., unless you do/have a "suspension lift".

The "C" bushings (that come with a lift) are designed to re-set the castor back to the original angle.

Castor & camber are set at the factory.., the only thing you or a shop can do is set the "toe-in".

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Dave,

It is about impossible to measure caster in a home garage. Caster is the angle of the tilt measured between the upper ball joint, and lower ball joint, ( or similar attachment points) This is measured as if an imaginary line was drawn between the upper and lower attachment points, and expressed as a degree of angle, from the center point to the top either toward the back of the vehicle (positive caster) or the front (negative caster).

I have attached a hastily and (poorly)drawn example.

Caster will not wear tires, but will effect the handling of a car, and aids in the return of and the keeping of the steering toward straight.Caster example 002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

69bronc347

Reaction score
if your bronco was sitting on perfectly level ground you could put an angle guage on top of your knuckle and it would give you caster angle. its an old way of doing things but it works.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar