Alternator wiring harness for a 1995 5.8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocknbrnco

Reaction score
I have a 1995 with a 5.8. The alternator died and I just purchased a 3G from RJM Injection with a new pulley and battery cable. I want to install a new wiring harness that runs from the alternator to the battery and the starter relay switch. Can anyone recommend something better than a new stock unit? Any other items I should replace as well? Appreciate any suggestions.

Andrew

Seabronc

Reaction score
Did you get a 3G that is capable of higher amperage than the one that is already in the truck?

peace.gif

3G-ALT_wiring1.JPG

Seabronc

Reaction score
I would get the harness from RJM it is designed for the higher power suplied buy the bigger Alt. If you you got a bigger one. If not theirs is still a good set up.

http://www.rjminject...ernator-harness
That harness is only for the internal regulator control and is electrically the same as what is already on the 95 Bronco. What needs to be changed if the new alternator is capable of putting out higher amperage than the old one, is the part at the top of the diagram that shows two lines going from the alternator to fuse "link-J" . The yellow with white stripe is the voltage sense line and can either be brought back to the output stud on the alternator or attached to the alternator side of the Mega-fuse .

What Mega-fuse? The one that should be in place of Fuse link-J.

Run the new heavy duty RED output cable that replaces the "Black with Orange stripe" cable to the new Mega-fuse "175 or 200 amp" whatever is appropriate for the new alternator. From the mega-fuse, with a new, ( #2 AWG) HD Red cable to the battery. Something like I did on my 83, (picture number 1).

This is the kit needed to accommodate higher amperage http://www.rjminject...harge-cable-kit

Good luck,

peace.gif

Charge power Dist 005.jpg

Charge power Dist 006.jpg

Modifications 015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wileec

Reaction score
Oops my bad I forgot the upgrade Charge line. Still need one as my 3G is a $20 JY model. [-o<

Seabronc

Reaction score
$20.00 JY alternators are fine, at worst you my have to replace the internal voltage regulator after a while. The problem is that you can only get 95 amp and 135 amp alternators from a JY. The 135 is plenty for most trucks unless adding a lot of high powered equipment. The 135 can put out around 165 amps as long as it doesn't stay there a long time and over heat.. I had a 135 from the JY and replaced the VR last year but probably only needed to replace the brushes, (quicker and easier to just replace the whole VR). My electric fan from a Lincoln Mark VIII has a 100 amp start current settling out at 35 amps and without a 135 it loaded the system down too much. For an unmodified truck even a 95 would do. Most older trucks, up till 87 had a 65 amp 1G, and then Ford went to a 2G until about 93 I believe. The thing you need to pay attention to when getting one from a JY is the case style. Ryan sows all the case styles on his site. http://www.rjminject...ons/alternators . The top are the ones to be used in older trucks. Note the hole pattern between his 95s and 160s that is a good way to identify what you are getting. Note he has 160s, the JY version looks the same except they are only rated at 135 amps. Any truck that currently has a 1G or 2G needs the harness you flagged, plus the #2 cable.

The reason you have gotten along without upgrading the charge line is that you apparently aren't putting a real high demand on your alternator, at least not for any length of time. It only puts out what is required, so if the demand is 20 amps, that is all it puts out.

peace.gif

OP
OP
R

Rocknbrnco

Reaction score
Did you get a 3G that is capable of higher amperage than the one that is already in the truck?

peace.gif
First, I apologise for the delayed reply. I have been out of town for the holidays. OK, below are the two items I purchased from RJM

http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/products/alt-7768

http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/products/alternator-charge-cable-kit

I wanted to repace all the wiring associated with the alternator as it is original and worn out. Since I upgraded to a higher output I do want the best wiring the works well with the new setup.

The next link is a kit that was given to me brand new. It is for a 1995 Police Interceptor with an ** alternator. Can anyone tell me if this kit will work? I also see a reply to order the 5.0 mustang kit from RJM. Will this work with my higher output amp? I want to replace all the wiring with the best I can get. Any suggestions would be great appreciated. I hope all of you had a merry Christmas and I wHD Wiring I bought on EBAY (New) for Police Interecepter.  Told this unit is a direct replacem...JPGHD Wiring I bought on EBAY (New) for Police Interecepter.  Told this unit is a direct replacem...JPGish you a Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year! Thanks again for everything!

Drew

Seabronc

Reaction score
First, I apologise for the delayed reply. I have been out of town for the holidays. OK, below are the two items I purchased from RJM

http://www.rjminject...oducts/alt-7768

http://www.rjminject...harge-cable-kit

I wanted to repace all the wiring associated with the alternator as it is original and worn out. Since I upgraded to a higher output I do want the best wiring the works well with the new setup.

The next link is a kit that was given to me brand new. It is for a 1995 Police Interceptor with an ** alternator. Can anyone tell me if this kit will work? I also see a reply to order the 5.0 mustang kit from RJM. Will this work with my higher output amp? I want to replace all the wiring with the best I can get. Any suggestions would be great appreciated. I hope all of you had a merry Christmas and I wView attachment 11443View attachment 11443ish you a Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year! Thanks again for everything!

Drew
1. Go back and read my prior post on hooking up a new ** alternator.

2. You can use the Police interceptor kit, but will probably need to make a length modification, (it looks a little long). With the charge cable from RJM, go from the alternator to the Mega fuse first. From the Mega fuse you can go to the battery using the Police interceptor cable (RED). Also from the Mega fuse go to the start solenoid and to the point , (on older trucks that is on the right inner fender, on newer trucks that is at the starter). You are eliminating the old hookup using fuse link J .

If you look at the picture I attached before, you Will see the fuse link with several RED cables. The one on the left comes from the charge lug on the alternator, the ones on the right go to the following: 1 to the battery, 1 to the start solenoid, 1 to voltage distribution fuse box. Also you will see a lug that has BLACK cables on it: 1 goes to the battery, 1 goes to frame engine block ground, plus I had a couple of other things I wanted directly hooked to that grounding point (not important to you). In the picture of your Police interceptor cable, you probably can use for the one that has a BLACK and RED contained inside the wire loom for the starter solenoid at the starter. The new battery ground cable looks like a great replacement for you old battery ground cable, connect one lug to the engine block and the other to the frame.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar