cant figure this out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

porkchop76

Reaction score
ok so i have a 1985 bronco 351 **.owner said it ran fine till fuel pump was changed i didnt want all the emmisions stuff on it so i stripped it all off being it is for hunting and trail use only. so all that is gone has a stealth aluminum intake holley 650 carb. has a high idle still and runs rich even with the mixture screws all the way in. timing is set at 11 degrees engine has 45000 miles since a rebuild bored .30 over. stock cam no other mods other than intake carb is exactly what came on it from factory except it is for a non egr intake. is it possiable for a mechanical fuel pump to cause the high idle or is there something obvious im missing. ivge tried everything i know. checked timing new plugs wires cap and rotor button. checked for vacum leaks coth carb and intake were new from holley. any ideas i havent tried would be greatly appreciated.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . First off, a Holley is designed on the rich end because it is primarily designed for racing on level ground, they don't work well at large tilt angles. Second, the mixture screws on a Holley are for idle mixture only and shouldn't be just played with. It is possible you have damaged the seat so that one or the other doesn't seat properly. Depending on the altitude of your location, you may need to change the main jets to match that altitude. There is a specific Holley adjustment procedure that you must follow in order to properly set it up, did you follow that. ie. Cold idle adjustment, float level, mixture, hot idle adjustment.

I don't have time to do a course on Holley, but here is a link that will help you better understand what you are doing http://www.bob2000.com/carb.htm http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/carb_cfm.htm http://www.themotorbookstore.com/holcarman.html . I suggest that you read through the material and also go to the book store or library and get a book or two on Holley carbs.

I don't mean for that to sound harsh, but you will never get what you want out of a Holley if you don't learn something about it.

Good luck,

peace.gif

OP
OP
P

porkchop76

Reaction score
no problem. ok ive been working on this for months ive read and watched every article on holley carbs. its not a high preformance carb. it is what came on it from the factory. a 650 4 barrel. it had this problem with all the original stuff on it nothing has changed since i put the new intake a carb on it.another thing that might be a clue is that the fuel doesnt stay pumped up to the carb. i have a clear fuel filter right before the carb and after sitting a hour or so its always empty. thanks

Seabronc

Reaction score
OK, so you have a 4180 carb on it. You said you adjusted the mixture screws. In order to get at them on a 4180 you have to break out the caps over the end of the mixture screws. If you have adjusted the mixture screws, at a minimum you need to go through the idle mixture setup. There is a cold idle ***** and a hot idle ****** they are on opposite sides of the carb. The cold idle, on the left as looking at the carb from the front of the truck, works off the automatic choke cam. The hot idle adjusts the throttle return, located on the right side.

It is not possible for the pump to cause high idle. As far as the empty fuel filter, I wouldn't worry about it as long as it fills up when the engine is running. I can't say what will fix the problem since the carb is original equipment and probably not in the greatest shape and most likely could use a rebuild at the minimum. There is any number of things that can be wrong with the carb. Look at the link I gave you http://www.bob2000.com/carb.htm and check out some of the possibilities. Since we are not there to actually look at the carb, there is no way to diagnose the problem for you. If that doesn't help you fix the problem, my suggestion is to either find someone locally to look at it , buy a Holley rebuild kit and install it according the supplied instructions, or buy a new carb and follow the setup procedure that comes with it.

Good luck,

peace.gif

OP
OP
P

porkchop76

Reaction score
Ok to clear things up it is not the original carb as stated previously. It is a new replacement of the original from Gillette there was no caps on mixture screws. And I may be wrong but I believe it is a 4160 not 4180 I may have been wrong on the size it is a 600 not 650 it is not a double pumper either. The bronco was factory with a 4 barrel holley and cast intake with egr valve . All that is gone. Now its just a plain aluminum intake (new) and the non egr valve carb(new)

OP
OP
P

porkchop76

Reaction score
From holley not Gillette lol sorry spell check on my phone lol

Seabronc

Reaction score
That doesn't change much of what I have already told you. A 4160 is the same carb as a 4180 with minor changes. The seats on the idle mixture screws are easily damaged, if that were the case they may not be working at all, if the float level is not set properly you may be getting fuel in the carb at idle due to spill over. Again, print off the information at the link I provided and take it out with you to check the things he talks about. In any event, if you have been adjusting things on the carb, go through the setup procedure to make sure that you haven't missed anything and get the carb set up properly. Since it is a new carb, call Holley and talk to them. Get local help from someone who knows carbs and can actually see it and check the adjustments.

good luck,

peace.gif

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
i would say double check to make sure you dont have a vacume leak.. also make sure your throttle cable isnt to short ya never know what the previous owner may have put on there from the wrecking yard.. and if all else fails put the holley on ebay and pick up a 650 edelbrock

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23