Eliminating the outside spare tire carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
When I finally get a bronco I would like to eliminate the outside spare tire carrier to clean up the looks so are there any kits available to mount it inside,I will probably never have the rear seat in it so there should be plenty of room or will I have to make something myself. I passed on the 89 that was local due to it needing too much and found one about a hundred miles away that was originall from Texas so I am going to look at it saturday,I would like to find a 87 that originally had a 351 since I can put a carbed 300 or 302 if the 351 is shot but will be looking at a 87 with a 302 and can deal with the EFI.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
There was a factory option for an inside spare tire carrier, which was bolted to the passngr-side rear quarter panel inside behind the wheelwell. You may be able to find the inside mount from a used one, usually for about $50. IT doesn't allow for much of any size tire over stock though. If you remove the rear seat or even just fold it up & forward, the center floor latch is a good spot to anchor down a spare tire and wheel laid down flat in back. idid this on the 84 Bronco after taking off the outside carrier to get the Bronco painted, and also chain the spare to the floor on the 78 Bronco. JSM84

Seabronc

Reaction score
What you are looking for is this. Put a post in the parts wanted section of the forum and also check your local friendly auto recyclers.

Good luck,

:)>-

Spare Carrier 002a.jpg

Spare Carrier 004a.jpg

Spare Carrier 005a.jpg

Spare Carrier 006a.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
As soon as I get one in the driveway I will be on the hunt for the inside mount,I dont plan on having a large spare so I will have to fix it as soon as I get home instead of driving around forever like I see some do.

akojsp

Reaction score
Just an FYI. I have the inside mount. My 37" tire will not fit between back seat and tailgate. But, it does clear the roof.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar