gear ratio help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomassjj

Reaction score
k i wantin to up grade my gears from th stock 3.50s to prob a set of 4.11 due to havin 35x16.5 swampers. th prob is every wherei look doesnt hve 4.11s for th d44 front. ive also

read that theres no prob runin 4.10s with 4.11 but they said 4.10 rear with 4.11 fronts i think thats they way they said it? mayb opposit. but neway im looking for a complete diff swapp so no worries about having to do the P.I.A. part of swappin rings n gears.hopefully i can find one for th dana front

OP
OP
T

tomassjj

Reaction score
Recommend 456's with 35's (A couple posts back had the tire, gear, RPM chart)
k thanks ive seen some charts and 4.11s r def in th bottom of th rpm range. i was thinkin 4.11s for highway usage since most h-ways around here r 70 mph. thot 4.11 wuld stil have a good low end. another prob is all th calculation formulas say to take th stock tire size and rpms at 65 to claculate new gear ration rpm at 65 well ive never had th stocks on it its only had th 35s so im not sure of what th rpms wuld be to use in th calculation. and i hav noyiced that most ppl here hav 4.56 ratios on there trucks i just didnt know if that wuld b to low of a ratio to b abl to get close to h-way speeds. but i guess getin to thos speeds i wuld have to take into consideration about th u-joints and other components breaking down. i'll def b givin 4.56's som thots since mayb 1 day th tires might magicaly get bigger. lol thanks

o yea dont know if it makes a diff or not but im pretty sure i hav a 3 spd tranny so those h-way spds will b more diff to get too or i'll b turnin higher rpms than most

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what the orig. tire size was.

The RPM's, gears, & tire size on that chart are accurate at 65 MPH.

Trannies are 1 to 1 in hi gear. 3 speed or 4 speed. Same with automatic.

The exception would be "overdrives" in auto, or stick.

My rig has 456's & 32" tires...Works great hwy. or wheel'n.

OP
OP
T

tomassjj

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what the orig. tire size was.

The RPM's, gears, & tire size on that chart are accurate at 65 MPH.

Trannies are 1 to 1 in hi gear. 3 speed or 4 speed. Same with automatic.

The exception would be "overdrives" in auto, or stick.

My rig has 456's & 32" tires...Works great hwy. or wheel'n.

[/quote

right on man i'll def start lookin for som 4.56's. im gonna try to find complete third members or diff so it will b an ez swap, dont know if i feel like setting up a rear, is it poss to find a similar item for th front? or do i hav to tear down th front n rebuild? thanks for th insight

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
If you find someone with that set-up in their rig...take a ride in it. You'll be more comfortable knowing what you will be getting.

The back end is easier.... i.e. pull the axles then pull the member.

The front req. pulling the brakes/hubs, etc. in order to pull the axles.

Then the gear-set can be removed from the front.

However., it is wise to just re-build the complete axle, at this point, as it's doesn't cost much & saves doing this all over again to fix a leak or bearing.

Nearest to you would be JBG...they would have new, or good used gear sets and the rear pumpkin all set up.

On the left cost is Toms & Wild Horses.

Their most popular would be the 9" rear, D30 & D44 front.

They have complete re-built (& used) front D44's & rear members as well.

Have fun.... B)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

tomassjj

Reaction score
If you find someone with that set-up in their rig...take a ride in it. You'll be more comfortable knowing what you will be getting.

The back end is easier.... i.e. pull the axles then pull the member.

The front req. pulling the brakes/hubs, etc. in order to pull the axles.

Then the gear-set can be removed from the front.

However., it is wise to just re-build the complete axle, at this point, as it's doesn't cost much & saves doing this all over again to fix a leak or bearing.

Nearest to you would be JBG...they would have new, or good used gear sets and the rear pumpkin all set up.

On the left cost is Toms & Wild Horses.

Their most popular would be the 9" rear, D30 & D44 front.

They have complete re-built (& used) front D44's & rear members as well.

Have fun.... B)
thanx man i def will! and thanx for th insight on wher to look ive already got som stuf from JBG. im prob gonna go ahead chang th bearing n sealds while im at it too. like u said. mite as well since ive got every thing apart. appreciate th help will let u know how it turns out

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I would also agree to go with 4.56:1 gears for 35" tires. That was the setup I had on the 84 Bronco for some time. My 78 Bronco has 4.88:1 gears with 38" tall tires, and the 4-sp manual NP-435. One thing I would look into if you plan to rebuild the axles for 35" tires or larger is to consider an upgrade to chromoly axleshafts for the Dana44 front. I've broken a few stock shafts and u-joints with the 38's , and even on the 79 F-150 with 35's, just crawling around slowly offroad or loading onto the trailer. JSM84

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat