Axle oil seal and bearing install on 9 inch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJCrash

Reaction score
Ok, might be a dumb question: Any tips on properly installing an axle on a Ford 9 inch with a new bearing and seal pack? I feel like an idiot asking as I have changed a couple hundred seals and bearings being a fork-lift mechanic for 10+ years but the semi-float set up on this is a little differant and considering that screwing up the seal entails complete replacement of the pack I want to get it right. Does it go in as one unit "pressed" in with the retainer plate or should I seperate the bearing race and install it first to make sure it seats properly? Thanks in advance! J

BUCKIN'94WFO

Reaction score
http://classicbroncos.com/rear_axle_removal.shtml
sleeping.gif
I found this here link by simply typing in "Ford 9" axle removal" into my bing search box. I realize it aint showin' the actual "bearing" removal but unless you have a press, plates and fixtures at home-it's easier on your patience to just carry the axles up to your fork lift shop, or to an auto service shop and pay them the $10 or $20 to press 'em off and on for ya. Hope this helps ya out. At least with the 9" you aint got to mess with the carrier and freakin' "C" clips!
glare.gif
I like being able to just spin the axle ****** around to each nut on the keeper plate and hit 'em with the IR 231 real quick.
whistle.gif
A couple slide hammer blows later it's sittin' in your lap!
cool.gif

OP
OP
JJCrash

JJCrash

Reaction score
I appreciate the reply but I'm looking for install info. Press and tools is no problem to install bearings on the axle, I just need to know the best way to get the axle in the housing and seat the cone bearing and race without mangalling the seal. Thanks though!

btw, I like your rant. The lib govt has no idea what it's policies are doing to the real world people that keep this country moving forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foul Al

Reaction score
Ok, might be a dumb question: Any tips on properly installing an axle on a Ford 9 inch with a new bearing and seal pack? I feel like an idiot asking as I have changed a couple hundred seals and bearings being a fork-lift mechanic for 10+ years but the semi-float set up on this is a little differant and considering that screwing up the seal entails complete replacement of the pack I want to get it right. Does it go in as one unit "pressed" in with the retainer plate or should I seperate the bearing race and install it first to make sure it seats properly? Thanks in advance! J
O.K., so you have the presses to do the job... once you get the bearing and seal off of the axle you now have to put them back on in the same order... duhh.. anyhow... once you have the axle with the new seal then bearing pressed on you need to place the axle into the housing and spin it slightly untill you feel it " drop in " then align the 4 bolt holes with the ****** on the axle. the bearing race needs to be changed with the new bearing being installed. they are a matched set. when you get the old race out and the new one seated you'll need to take the pre assembled axle and lightly grease the seal befor installation. after that you'll be in position to rebuild the brakes and drive. enjoy!

Seabronc

Reaction score
"Does it go in as one unit "pressed" in with the retainer plate or should I separate the bearing race and install it first to make sure it seats properly?"

This may be a little late, but this is a quote, word for word, from my shop manual.

1.Install the outer retainer plate (if it had been removed) making sure it is not put on backwards.

2. Place the new lubricated seal and lubricated bearing on the axle shaft making sure the cup rib ring is facing the axle ******. It should be noted that the seal used on a drum brake vehicle is different than that used on read disc brake equipped cars. The seals are not interchangeable. To identify the seals, examine the outer rim. Those used with drum brakes have a gray metal appearance. Those used for disc rear brakes have an orange-colored appearance.

3. Press the tapered-bearing and seal assembly on to the axle shaft. Apply sufficient pressure to seat the bearing against axle shaft shoulder. Do not attempt to press the bearing retainer at the same time.

4. Position the NEW bearing retainer on the shaft, then press it into position firmly against the bearing.

5. Apply Multi-Purpose Long-Life Lubricant C1AZ-19590-E (ESA-M1C75- B) or equivalent to the outer diameter of the cup and the seal. Install the brake backing plate and attaching bolts.

6. Before sliding the shaft assembly into the axle housing, ensure that the outer seal is fully mounted on the bearing.

7. Carefully slide the axle shaft into the housing. Start the axle splines into the side gear and push the axle shaft in until the bearing bottoms at the housing.

8. Install the bearing retainer plate plate and the nuts that secure it. Tighten the nuts to 28-54 N.m (20-40 ft. lb.).

9. Install the brake drum.

There are a couple of pictures if you need them. Hope that helps, never did it myself.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane