89 ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ford_302

Reaction score
i am swapping my 89 from a 302efi to a 351w carb. i have no ignition no radio no turn signals no dash lights. NOTHIN! the only thing that work are brake lights, head lights, dome light, and that damn dinger that goes off when the key is in and the door is open, so after an hour with a test light we came up with a short some where or my key cylinder is shot. i know that the pins and springs are wearing out and it needs to be replaced anyway, but how do you get the stupid thing out? lol i pulled the steering wheel and saw a mess of wires, now im very intimidated buy a big mess of wires so before i start tearing stuff out is there a easy straight forward way to pull it? lol i already set the bronco on fire because of me trying to wire something :rolleyes:

Yardape

Reaction score
there is a small pin inside the steering column. Look for the bulged section for the ignition key switch. find the small hole about 1/8 of an inch or so. Dont remember the exact key position at this moment but turn the key til you can push the pin in freely then slide the cylinder out. easy as that. BUT!!!! Have you considered the actual starter switch on the steering column? You will need to drop the steering column for this and is more likely the culprit than the cylinder. How about the grounds?

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
There are no electrical contacts inside the key cylinder. The contacts are on the switch that the key cylinder operates. It is located on the top of your steering column under the dash. The key cylinder only operates a push rod that moves the switch.

That mess of wires you saw is the signal switch.

Since you just did the under hood stuff, check that you put all the fused links back on the start relay.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
ford_302

ford_302

Reaction score
ok i replaced the selector switch and nothing, is there a common problem with ignition when swapping from efi to carb?

OP
OP
ford_302

ford_302

Reaction score
they only thing that cought fire was the wire i ran from the battery to my cb and booster, stupid me went to cut the wire shorter and cut it with the ground wire, nothin was damiged excecpt my hand lol, and i found the problemthough,a year ago the fuse link that goes to my fuel pump blew so i spliced in a inline fuse and the wire was so brittle that the crimp broke the wires....so i respliced it and now im back in buisness, thanks guys

Yardape

Reaction score
What else did you change? Did you use a c6 with the 351? Did you hook up the neutral safety switch?

OP
OP
ford_302

ford_302

Reaction score
im using my aod, i dont have the money for a new tranny, i dont do any serious off roading yet and i like overdrive :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> so i see no need for a c6. and i did a post a while ago about the carb swap asking about my tranny and all i got was to make sure my kick down moves just as much as the throttle cable, no one ever said any thing about a nuetral safty switch

OP
OP
ford_302

ford_302

Reaction score
i did alot of reserch before this swap, never saw anything about the nuetral safty switch on an aod, all my wiring is fine, the grond wire that i cut was one that i put in there, if i didnt wire it then i wont cut it, unless i know 110% what it goes to.

Yardape

Reaction score
If its the same tranny and the wires are hooked up to it then your fine there. if you dont remember hooking them up then I would recommend crawling under and having a boo. Wiring is hard to trace when you have the vehicle in front of you, to troubleshoot wiring over a computer is impossible. This is where you are going to have to put your research into play. All we can do is shoot a few different ideas out to you for you to check out, eventually someone will shout out the right answer and look like a genius. I assume when you said you checked out the starter switch you meant the one on the steering column under the dash, whichwould require you to drop the steering column to access, is this what you did?

OP
OP
ford_302

ford_302

Reaction score
thats all im after is ideas, and yes i was talking about the switch on the column, and yes i replaced it, thanks yardape

89broncobuc

Reaction score
if you ever have this problem again even after replacing the ignition switch consider a colum from a bone yard.. mine did the exact same thing yesterday.. after taking everything apart.. i found out that the push rod had an arm the branches off to the right inside the colum. the arm is what is depressed my the motion of the key cylinder. thus pushing the arm pushes the rof through the selector swithces in the ignotion box on the column. if its not the inline fuse next time and you still cant figure it out this is probably the problem.. good cond used columns run about 40 bucks..

Yardape

Reaction score
if you ever have this problem again even after replacing the ignition switch consider a colum from a bone yard.. mine did the exact same thing yesterday.. after taking everything apart.. i found out that the push rod had an arm the branches off to the right inside the colum. the arm is what is depressed my the motion of the key cylinder. thus pushing the arm pushes the rof through the selector swithces in the ignotion box on the column. if its not the inline fuse next time and you still cant figure it out this is probably the problem.. good cond used columns run about 40 bucks..
"scratches head"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar