Bad Computer????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B2Mann

Reaction score
Ive got a 1990 bronco II 4x4 2.9, with I think is a computer issue. When I go to set the timing on the vehicle, ill unplug the timing plug(if thats correct) and set the timeing to 10deg btdc, like specified. Ill plug the connector back in, the timing goes up a bit, but there are instances where the mark will seem like its jumping around. There is a change in the motor while driving sometimes. Has new distributor, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, and ICM(ignition control module) . Cant think of anything else besides the computer. Any ideas?? :huh:

Cube

Reaction score
if you really think it's a computer issue, consider putting in one that will give you more detail in diagnostic info. Megasquirt has a good product, from what I can tell. Just make sure you can get away with it with the smog laws in your area. MSEFI.com is the way to go.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
That is normal for the timing mark to jump around a bit with the spout connector plugged in . It is caused from the EEC trying to keep the motor running the same RPM all the time if you have a sensor in the power steering hose pressure line have someone turn the wheel a bit and watch the timing with a light youll see it advance when it sees the pressure difference so that the motor doesnt stall . Thats just one example there are other sensors that directly affect the timing . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

smallbl0ck

Reaction score
the computer is the #1 misdiagnosed component.... i would check all sensors and components before replacing the comp........ unless you know u shorted it out somehow... the only time i have ever really needed to replace a comp, the truck was struck by lightning, was doing some crazy stuff

andre

Reaction score
agree w the guy's

never change a computer yet got abut 20 spare here from pass hobby

before you spend $$

there are code reader that can do wonder like engine ballacing test ext

well worth the 40 to 50 bucks

after you connect the plug timing change because computer take over to keep engine running

if you have some problem tell us what is it may be we can help u out

that1mofo

Reaction score
It really could be the computer for almost any problem with modern cars. I would recommend you take it to a dealer.

I've had positive and inexpensive experiences with the dealer and their diagnostic analysis of my GT. Not only would I recommend them, I would endorse them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat