DROPPED SOMETHING DOWN MY DIST. HOLE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRONCADONK

Reaction score
i screwed up big time! wile scraping the old gasket material off my heads, i dropped the razor blade down the distributor hole. what are my chances it fell into the oil pan? i did have a rag plugging the hole. but i needed to use it and forgot that i placed the razor on top. i almost fished it out but it fell off the magnet and sounded like it dropped into the oil pan. i tapped the bottom of the pan, and it sounded like something inside sliding down inside. i know it's wishfull thinking but i'm going to drop the pan tomarrow. what gaskets other than the pan gasket should i replace?

Elmo

Reaction score
If it is in the pan it will obstruct the oil-pickup screen by almost 25% probably be best to get it out. problem is I'm not sure puling the pan is do-able with the engine in the truck. It will probably be less stressful to just pull the engine and have easy access to the pan. All you should need is the oilpan gasket and new oil+filter. Unless you wanted to take advantage of the engine being out and replace other difficult gaskets. Good luck

89Bronco58

Reaction score
Its a pain, but u actually can drop the pan with the engine in the truck, you just have to brop and tilt it enough so you can get your hand in there to feel around. Try using a strong magnet and drag it against the oil pan twards the drain plug hole, and if you can get it to the hole, at least you will know you have it found. Personally id just try and grab it with needle nose and break it out piece by piece first. It wont be a good turnout if you leave it in there tho. With dropping the pan you should replace the rear main seal as well as the oil pan gasket of course, thats about it. I reccomend a 1 piece oil pan gasket made of neoprene.

OP
OP
B

BRONCADONK

Reaction score
thaks guys, it was in the pan. you'r right elmo, pulling the engine would have been easier. i have the tools to do it, i'm just stubborn. next time it's coming out. with the pan out i noticed the gear on the fly wheel has some bad teeth, also my freez plugs are going bad. other than that the inside including the oil pan was very clean. no sludge or build up of any kind. it's all back togather now and runs a whole lot better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar