83 instrument cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dustindawin

Reaction score
:mellow: i have an 83 2wd and am having trouble finding a replacement cluster. does anyone know what is interchangable? most others have a wider harness

insert. thanx

Broncobill78

Reaction score
2wd ? Don't suppose you could post a pic of that could you ?

Anything from an 80-86 Bronco or F-truck should be a direct swap. Might well be that 87-96 is as well. If nothing else I'd think the 80-86 2wd F-truck cluster would be identical. What do you mean by wider harness ? More wires or larger connectors ? A copy of the Electrical, Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) will allow you to sort out the wiring differences.

OP
OP
D

dustindawin

Reaction score
:mellow: i have an 83 2wd and am having trouble finding a replacement cluster. does anyone know what is interchangable? most others have a wider harnessinsert. thanx
WELL, I'M DOWN HERE IN COLIMA MEXICO. WHERE ABSOLUTLY NOTHING IS CERTIN .IF I EVER RETRIEVE MY RIPPED OFF COOLPIX I WILL CERTAINLY

POST A PICTURE. NOW FOR FULL DISCLOSER....

THIS BRONCO MUST HAVE BEEN MADE HERE BECAUSE THE OIL PRESSURE GUAGE WAS IN SPANISH. I TOOK THE NO LONGER CLEAR LENSE OFF TO REPALCE.

WHILE IT WAS OFF, A LOCAL ******** BOY ( WHO USUALLY STEALS SUNGLASSES ) JUMPED IN AND BENT ALL THE ORANGE AND WHITE NEEDLES.

YES THERE ARE FEWER CONNECTERS IN THE RECEPTICAL. THNX FOR YOUR REPLY. THIS EVTM CAN BE FOUND WHERE?

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Ebay is usually your best bet, there are 3 of them up there now for your 83 (priced from $15 to $25)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Ford-B...lsQ5fLiterature

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Truck-...lsQ5fLiterature

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Ford-F...lsQ5fLiterature

If, for whatever reason, you don't catch any of these auctions all I did was search on "1983 Bronco EVTM" and it spit those out.

There may well be more that are simply listed as "factory manual" or something but they just don't use EVTM in the description.

OP
OP
D

dustindawin

Reaction score
Ebay is usually your best bet, there are 3 of them up there now for your 83 (priced from $15 to $25)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Ford-B...lsQ5fLiterature

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Truck-...lsQ5fLiterature

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Ford-F...lsQ5fLiterature

If, for whatever reason, you don't catch any of these auctions all I did was search on "1983 Bronco EVTM" and it spit those out.

There may well be more that are simply listed as "factory manual" or something but they just don't use EVTM in the description.
thanx again

gatorbronco

Reaction score
A LOCAL ******** BOY ( WHO USUALLY STEALS SUNGLASSES ) JUMPED IN AND BENT ALL THE ORANGE AND WHITE NEEDLES.
I don't mean to laugh at the misfortune of having your cluster f'ed up, but that is by far one of the funniest things I have read on this site.

shift1313

Reaction score
i have my 85 gauges out right now as well as a set of 89 gauges out. ill snap some pics and put them up to see if the connector is the same for you.

shift1313

Reaction score
i dont think there is an easy way for you to get an 87+ gauge working but here are the pics.

gauges3.jpg

Back of the 89 gauge(upside down)

gauges2.jpg

Back of the 85 gauge

gauges.jpg

my truck is a 6cyl, no tack(in the gauges) and its a manual so no shift indicator.

American Thunder

Reaction score
I have a late 80s F800 gauge cluster, and it looks just like the one in my '83 Bronco. (although it has a factory tach) I wasnt aware that there was any difference in the harness size of these clusters, I thought they simply had a different number of active pins hooked up.

shift1313

Reaction score
now that you mention that thunder. We had a 90s f800 which still used the same dash as my 85. The larger service trucks(roll back, bucket trucks etc) kept the same dash so you may be able to find those as well for a broader range of years.

OP
OP
D

dustindawin

Reaction score
i dont think there is an easy way for you to get an 87+ gauge working but here are the pics.
gauges3.jpg

Back of the 89 gauge(upside down)

gauges2.jpg

Back of the 85 gauge

gauges.jpg

my truck is a 6cyl, no tack(in the gauges) and its a manual so no shift indicator.
" the back of the 89 guage) (blue) apppears to be the same. mine is a granny 4 speed and had no indicator as well. if you stumble across one let me know!

great spirit on this site. thanx i had better take a better look , i dont remember two imputs but i'll check

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

dustindawin

Reaction score
I don't mean to laugh at the misfortune of having your cluster f'ed up, but that is by far one of the funniest things I have read on this site.
yeah this place is a combo of tragic,comical,magical,disapointing,completely f'd up and relatively inexpensive. motorcycles cars boats and electonicics are very expensive .the mechanics think they know, but they don't. there are levels and degrees of everything here as well as anywhere else.

shift1313

Reaction score
so the back of your 83 gauge looks like the back of the 89 gauge i have? strange. How much do you think shipping is to get down to you? If it will work you can have these 89 gauges for shipping but im affraid that will be a lot.

im in zip 24060, they came out of an 89 bronco with a 5.0 FI motor with an AOD tranny.

is it just the needles on your gauges that are messed up?

OP
OP
D

dustindawin

Reaction score
yeah this place is a combo of tragic,comical,magical,disapointing,completely f'd up and relatively inexpensive. motorcycles cars boats and electonicics are very expensive .the mechanics think they know, but they don't. there are levels and degrees of everything here as well as anywhere else.
i have to go to the beach and look at it , i may be gone for about a week but i'll get back to you, another question , the original tie rod & drag link have a slow

curve at the ends. my replacement ones do not! is that gunna be a problem? anyone? thanx

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane