lowering idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89eddie89

Reaction score
So when I have my foot on the brake and I am in drive, I am at about 800-900 rpms.

When I put her in park she raises to about 1200 rpms... And it gets really annoyingly loud when I am waiting in my car...

Tips on the steps to lowering the rpms....

Thanks

:D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Jersey

Reaction score
So when I have my foot on the brake and I am in drive, I am at about 800-900 rpms.
When I put her in park she raises to about 1200 rpms... And it gets really annoyingly loud when I am waiting in my car...

Thanks

Technically, the idle is computer controlled and not adjustible. If its running that high, check for a vacuum leak somewhere. If you can't hear it, (which would suprise me), take a can of carb cleaner and spray where the intakes meet eachother, lower meets head, and all vacuum lines. The idle will change when you spray where it is leaking.

pinson27

Reaction score

Thanks

Sounds like TPS..(Trottle Position Sensor),it lets the computer know how far open your throttle is.Usually the sympyoms are high idle,up and down idle,dying and decreased gas mileage.The sensor is located in your case,on the bottom side of the throttle body.Its an easy fix,and takes about 20-30 minutes.Be carefull installing the new one and note the position of the old one....they are slightly pre-loaded

Jersey

Reaction score
Sounds like TPS..(Trottle Position Sensor),it lets the computer know how far open your throttle is.Usually the sympyoms are high idle,up and down idle,dying and decreased gas mileage.The sensor is located in your case,on the bottom side of the throttle body.Its an easy fix,and takes about 20-30 minutes.Be carefull installing the new one and note the position of the old one....they are slightly pre-loaded
The TPS does not control Idle speed. The butterflys are fully closed when you are off the accelerator, (supposed to be), and the IAC valve controls the idle. Although a bad TPS will contribute to a rolling Idle, It will not cause a steady high idle. That is only caused by either 1: a vacuum leak 2: some knuckle head messed with the stop ***** on the throttle plate. 3: the IAC valve is sticking or 4: the timing is off.

90-BRONCO325

Reaction score
That reminds me. I had my 90 Bronco worked on and it has always had the check engine light on. The mechanic said he checked the codes and it said Idle Air control valve which was unplugged when I got the truck. When I plug it in, the idle jumps to about 1600 rpm. I went and got another one and installed it but when I plug it in, BOOM 1600 rpm. I have to unplug it to get lower idle. It still idles kind ofhigh. Anyone help me.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
That reminds me. I had my 90 Bronco worked on and it has always had the check engine light on. The mechanic said he checked the codes and it said Idle Air control valve which was unplugged when I got the truck. When I plug it in, the idle jumps to about 1600 rpm. I went and got another one and installed it but when I plug it in, BOOM 1600 rpm. I have to unplug it to get lower idle. It still idles kind ofhigh. Anyone help me.
Did you see Jersey's post in this thread?

a steady high idle. That is only caused by either 1: a vacuum leak 2: some knuckle head messed with the stop ***** on the throttle plate. 3: the IAC valve is sticking or 4: the timing is off.

mongo

Reaction score
Jersey wrote:

That is only caused by either 1: a vacuum leak 2: some knuckle head messed with the stop ***** on the throttle plate. 3: the IAC valve is sticking or 4: the timing is off.

I know dumb But anyone got a picture of what he is talking about, It sure would help Again I New to Broncos mine is an 1988

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Jersey wrote:
That is only caused by either 1: a vacuum leak 2: some knuckle head messed with the stop ***** on the throttle plate. 3: the IAC valve is sticking or 4: the timing is off.

I know dumb But anyone got a picture of what he is talking about, It sure would help Again I New to Broncos mine is an 1988

Here you go... IAC for a '90 bronco 302...

P3060971.jpg

P3060970.jpg

hope this helps

joe

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar