Bent axle shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreenDog

Reaction score
I was out wheeling with my buddies the other day, having fun and just cruising. Well, being lead truck got me more problems than just dirt in the hubs or a flat tire. Luckily, my buddy in his 250 wasn't on my tail and stopped after he saw what happened. I hit a hole that someone had dug and put a piece of plywood over, about 3'x3' and maybe 2' deep. Nice little welcome on these public trails, hm? So we pulled off to the side and I took it all apart. Good for us I carry a a good setup of tools in my truck, plus a bag of clean rags and a big can of grease. The bearings, the hub and the brakes were fine, but the axle shaft wasn't. It rests inside a sleeve, and when I looked at it dead on, noticed it was pushed back towards the cab. I didn't have my hubs locked since it was just a quick pass through a dirt road to the harder stuff, so it didn't get stuck "locked."

My question is, is this a job someone could do in a day, or should I let a shop do it when I can drop it off?

thornbirdguy

Reaction score
I was out wheeling with my buddies the other day, having fun and just cruising. Well, being lead truck got me more problems than just dirt in the hubs or a flat tire. Luckily, my buddy in his 250 wasn't on my tail and stopped after he saw what happened. I hit a hole that someone had dug and put a piece of plywood over, about 3'x3' and maybe 2' deep. Nice little welcome on these public trails, hm? So we pulled off to the side and I took it all apart. Good for us I carry a a good setup of tools in my truck, plus a bag of clean rags and a big can of grease. The bearings, the hub and the brakes were fine, but the axle shaft wasn't. It rests inside a sleeve, and when I looked at it dead on, noticed it was pushed back towards the cab. I didn't have my hubs locked since it was just a quick pass through a dirt road to the harder stuff, so it didn't get stuck "locked."My question is, is this a job someone could do in a day, or should I let a shop do it when I can drop it off?
if you know what you are doing, it shouldn't take you too long. if you don't, do not get into it. let someone who does know do it. wow, that took a long time to say hardly anything.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
My wheelin' buddies and I got really good at replacing front axles on the Bronco TTB frontend, shouldn't take more than an hour once you've done it once. Still should only take 3-4 hours your first time. If it's the passngr-side outer shaft, just remove the locking hub, rotor and ibearing hub, then split the boot on the slip joint of the axle. If it's the inner shaft, you'll need to pull the gear chunk out if you'rs has a clip holding the inner shaft in, and of course tear down the driver's side. That shaft just slides in once the outer parts are removed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane