Wheel/tire/lift combo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

POTTER

Reaction score
I plan on doing a 3-4 inch lift on my 96 Bronco (4X4). First off, what kind of price difference will I find between 3 and 4 inches?

next, I want to do 35 inch tires on the stock Ford rims (I have the bullet-hole style, aluminum rims), what is the biggest size (width, height, backspace) I can fit with a 3 and a 4 inch lift...

Thanks for the help guys..I am a Lift newbie, my trucks have all been street/sport trucks up until now...

wileec

Reaction score
The stock rims are only 7.5 inches wide the biggest I would go is 11.5 wide for the tires and that would be pushing it.

Since I am not sure I have seen a 3" for a bronco I do not know if it would be cheaper. IMO get the lift that fits your needs, if you are going to wheel hard spend the extra $$$ and get the extended radius arms and the replacement leaf pack. If you just want to be big/tall cheaper would be fine. This is part of the reason I run stock, I can not afford the right kind of lift. I also like showing just how capable a "stock" Bronco is.

michibronc

Reaction score
Although I don't have a lift yet, nearly everyone I've spoken with or read from on here has said go with a 4 inch minimum. Folks who go for the 2.5 or 3 inchers spend the same amount of money and can't fit 35's and still off road hard without making contact at times.

The 2.5 and 3 inch kits contain all the same parts and generally cost the same as the 4 inch kits.

Bronco Graveyard sells a pretty huge variety of lifts and they also sell regular, deluxe, and ultra deluxe levels of each lift. The deluxe and ultra deluxe get you things like new radius arms, longer brake lines, new leafs or add a leafs instead of blocks, etc. If you haven't dealt with them yet, they're excellent and very knowledgeable.

Good luck! I want a 4 inch with all new springs, but that's definitely on hold 'till my body work projects are done and my fairly new 31's crap out.

BB33's

Reaction score
I have run 33X12.5 Tires on 15X8 inch rims on my '90 Bronco(see signature) They only rubbed at a full turn and that was on the radius arms. I never rubbed on Fenders or Frame at full flex and trust me it was FULL FLEX :lol:

The current Package I run is a 32X11.50 on a '95 Bronco (see signature). It hasn't rubbed anywhere and I didn't notice a decrease in power when upgrading from a 31X10.5.

Correct me if im wrong but you aren't going to seriously off road this truck? If the answer is no a 4 inch will net you the ground clearance needed for 35's I have seen it done and it works. Rough Country is a good brand offering quality lifts at a price the average joe can afford. A 4 inch will cost 459 dollars. A smaller lift like a 2.5 isn't a good option in my opinion because it is 359 dollars, 100 bucks less than a 4.

Hope this helps and sorry for the long reply.

OP
OP
P

POTTER

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys...

I am looking to do some off-roading, not crazy off-roading, but would like to be able to take it out, hit some decent stuff, maybe a litle mud and I love the way 35's look on a truck that is not sitting super high...a nice squat, agressive look ya know..

sounds like I should look for a 4 inch lift to fit 35's and look for somehting with replacement springs or spring packs?

Also, the price you gave for the 4 inch lift at $459? That woudl be a standard kit and then I would need to get it installed right? What kind of prices do shops usually get to install a lift...??

I have a few reputable shops in my area, but would like to get a ballpark on install price as I more than likely would not be able to do the install myself.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

michibronc

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys...
I am looking to do some off-roading, not crazy off-roading, but would like to be able to take it out, hit some decent stuff, maybe a litle mud and I love the way 35's look on a truck that is not sitting super high...a nice squat, agressive look ya know..

sounds like I should look for a 4 inch lift to fit 35's and look for somehting with replacement springs or spring packs?

Also, the price you gave for the 4 inch lift at $459? That woudl be a standard kit and then I would need to get it installed right? What kind of prices do shops usually get to install a lift...??

I have a few reputable shops in my area, but would like to get a ballpark on install price as I more than likely would not be able to do the install myself.

Thanks again for the help and advice.
Hey Potter,

Here's a link to the different 4 inch lifts (they're Superlifts) that JBG sells. If you're paying less than $500 (regardless of brand name), it's probably for the standard model.

With older leafs and the fact that you're already going to put your rear driveshaft at a more severe angle, it's probably wise for you to go at least with the deluxe to get an add a leaf instead of all the rear height coming from blocks. I think you'll get some axle wrap if you don't.

You can see the prices go up significantly as the extras get added.

My local spring shop quoted me $500 to install the 4 inch with new coils and leaf packs. You may be able to get it done cheaper, but I'd bet not much. A TTB lift requires several drop brackets to get the geometry of the beams and radius arms correct. If you don't have torches and good air tools it's probably worth the money to have it done. And that wasn't installing the new brake lines.

You'll also need a $200 alignment. Sounds excessive, but the TTB is a real bear to get the camber and caster angles correct on. Any shop that will do it for much less than that probably isn't familiar enough with this front end to do a good job.

My buddy who has a Blazer (Boo) just got 35 x 12.5 Mud Kings for $825 last week. I don't know that you'll find 35's for much less than that.

All this is why I have to wait.

Edit: Oh yeah, and 35's might get you into some gearing issues. That's on the edge of what you can do with stock Bronco gearing. I've not even priced that whole mess yet - but I bet it's in the $,$$$'s. Maybe some folks with 35's can chime in and let you know about that. I think 33's are generally accepted as the sensible limit as to what you can do with the stock gear ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
P

POTTER

Reaction score
well, I am definitely not ready (budget wise) to do gearing..so if I want to keep the stock gearing, I should plan on doing 33's is what you are saying...

will 33's and a 4 inch lift look right together?? I really don't like the undersized tire look with a lifted truck...

green streak

Reaction score
will 33's and a 4 inch lift look right together?? I really don't like the undersized tire look with a lifted truck...
hey man. i've got a 4" skyjacker suspension lift and 33's. i don't think the tire looks undersized. here's a quick pic on a level surface as a reference for you. also, someone on here has 35's on a 4" lift too. they might chime in and give you an idea of how that looks as well. good luck

DSC04486.jpg

OP
OP
P

POTTER

Reaction score
That looks pretty good green streak..and I can always move up to 35's from there with the 4 inch lift....I think I got my answer..now just need to find the funds to get it done..lol...

POTTER

BB33's

Reaction score
I am sorry to say Green Streak but you need to stop putting up pictures of your truck. I find myself looking at it then looking at a clock realizing I have spent 30 minutes drooling over what can be the cleanest bronco ever! THE TORTURE MUST STOP!

green streak

Reaction score
I am sorry to say Green Streak but you need to stop putting up pictures of your truck. I find myself looking at it then looking at a clock realizing I have spent 30 minutes drooling over what can be the cleanest bronco ever! THE TORTURE MUST STOP!
sorry man, from now on this is the only pic i'm posting..........

...............get ready to drool. :lol:

stangchick.jpg

but back on topic....potter, i would seriously think about just getting the 33's with gas prices the way they are and if you don't plan on going with steeper gears in the future.

walnuts75

Reaction score
well, I am definitely not ready (budget wise) to do gearing..so if I want to keep the stock gearing, I should plan on doing 33's is what you are saying...
I have a 2.5 inch lift kit with 33x12.5 and I think it looks perfectly proportional. Also I have no rubbing at all. I will post a new picture of it as soon as I can. However, I will tell you this, putting a small lift kit such as a 2.5" is actually a lot of work just to get 2.5 inches. When my dad and I where done installing the kit we felt that maybe we should have went a couple more inches b/c it would have been the same amount of work, but the 2.5" kit was also about 100 bucks cheaper than the 4" kit (only $200 Rough Country kit through JC whitney), which kind of evened everthing out. Anyway it'll look good no matter what setup you go with.

regarrr

Reaction score
How are the 12.5" wide tires on the 15x8 wheels balloon wise? I have 35's on 16x10.5" wheels but I would much rather run my stock wheels if I could. Can I fit 35x12.5 on my stock wheels?

Does anyone have a picture of what that would look like?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradgrim490