Tailgates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brando32

Reaction score
I own a 79 Ford Bronco, and i have been looking for a tailgate/ rear glass, for affordable prices, but i was talking with someone and they said you could put 80's + tailgates on the 78-79 broncos, has anyone else heard this, or done it?

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
i have heard it, there is an article on here somewhere that talks about it.. i will look for it and send you the link, i know that you have to use the window tracks out of a 78 79 bronco because the glass is at a differant angle.. but like i said i will look for the link

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
I own a 79 Ford Bronco, and i have been looking for a tailgate/ rear glass, for affordable prices, but i was talking with someone and they said you could put 80's + tailgates on the 78-79 broncos, has anyone else heard this, or done it?

heres that info this was originaly posted my "miesk5"

Yo JEFF,

Tailgate Swapping

Amazingly throughout the number of body style changes from '78 through '96, the tailgate remained nearly the same. You can swap tailgates between all of these years taking note of the following:

I've broken down the 3 major changes into their respective years.

78 - 79 Type A

80 - 82 Type B

83 - 96 Type C

If your swapping within the same "type" it's just a direct swap.

If swapping A & B you have to switch the glass and glass support brackets

If swapping B & C you have to switch latches and striker plates

If swapping A & C you have to switch the glass, glass support brackets, latches & striker plates.

by Mike M (MRM) at his old site via web.archive.net @ http://web.archive.o...o/tailgate.html

Miesk5 Note; In 78-82, both latches have to be closed since the interlock safety switch is mounted in the center mechanism; & their strikes that mount to the body can be interchanged with some effort. The safety switch was moved from the center (tailgate handle) to the left latch by 1983, by our friend here, Seabronc

More TG LINKs in my site @ http://www.broncolin...x.php?index=478

Including;

TG Replacement in an 88 (many photos) BEST PROCESS! Source: by Dustin S (Dustball, Mellow Yellow, Mr. Laser Boy)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula