synthetic oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

busbo

Reaction score
I have a 1990 full size with a 351w. I changed the oil and filter this weekend and mistakenly added synthetic oil.

Will this have any negative effects on the engine? Do I need to drain and refill with new oil? Anyone run synthetic in their Bronco?

Thank you.

Justbust1n

Reaction score
**** no synthedic is what i run it is way better than regular oil ..... but alot more expensive , some people dont like running it in the winter cause it tend to get thick but since you got it in **** keep it is actually gonna help what was the weight ??

Last edited by a moderator:

Rivergod

Reaction score
...you should make sure you have the same wieght if you mixed them.

The general rule of thumb is that synthetic oilwill last twice as long as conventional oil, so technically it costs the same because it is generally twice the price. :blink:

Cocobum

Reaction score
I heard a rumor that if you switch to synthetic oil you can't switch back because it will damage your engine. I don't know if it is true or not but that is just what I have heard.

OP
OP
B

busbo

Reaction score
It was Motorcraft 5W-30.

Thanks for the quick replys. I feel a little better...I think.

Justbust1n

Reaction score
If your engine leaks at ALL do not use it! Itll find those leaks extremely fast and will leak faster...
damn now that i didnt know , new one on me no wounder my oil pan gasket is leakin like crazy... hahah i love this fourm

Shadow_D

Reaction score
I heard a rumor that if you switch to synthetic oil you can't switch back because it will damage your engine. I don't know if it is true or not but that is just what I have heard.
The answer is True (from what I know) however, I am not sure what will happen if you do switch. If you use "Blended" oil you can go back and fourth without any problems.

I have a few leaks in my Beast so I use the blended rather than full synthetic.

Justbust1n It is correct about the leaks, think of it this way Synthetic is slipperier than regular oil.

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
Hey guys...............I use Castrol full synthetic in my wifes Malibu.........and on ocassion I throw a little in my truck if I dont have my stuff. Castrol says its compatible with all oils ( synthetic and regular ) Do I need to be concearned???????????? We did loose the oil pressure switch in her car about a month back.. :unsure:

Big Ragu

Reaction score
I change my oil every 2000 mi. anyway so reg. castrol is just fine for me. Im in and out of the mud and on the beach alot, plus I tow my boat all over and alot of my friends who own other than "FORD" trucks out of places they shouldnt have went into. Thats one of the reasons for putting in a duel remote oil filter. Spending $14.00 every 4 months is a small price to pay.

tony

EvlFaust

Reaction score
All I use is synthetic in my truck, but that was after a complete overhaul of the engine. Synthetic has many benefits but if you start using it in a worn engine you may end up with more problems than benefits. Like Bluesman17 said, it does find leaks easily and leaks fast. I had heard before that it doesn't take any special procedures to start using synthetic, but once you go synthetic you can't go back. I couldn't figure out why so I called a Royal Purple rep to inquire about it. I was told that many synthetic oils have their own propreitary blend of additives in the oil, most of these additives will bond to the metal in your engine and if you decide to go back to using regular oil this bonded additive will start to wear irregularly. But like I said, I run synthetic in mine and have no problems at all, so I really believe it just depends on your engine.

Justbust1n

Reaction score
All I use is synthetic in my truck, but that was after a complete overhaul of the engine. Synthetic has many benefits but if you start using it in a worn engine you may end up with more problems than benefits. Like Bluesman17 said, it does find leaks easily and leaks fast. I had heard before that it doesn't take any special procedures to start using synthetic, but once you go synthetic you can't go back. I couldn't figure out why so I called a Royal Purple rep to inquire about it. I was told that many synthetic oils have their own propreitary blend of additives in the oil, most of these additives will bond to the metal in your engine and if you decide to go back to using regular oil this bonded additive will start to wear irregularly. But like I said, I run synthetic in mine and have no problems at all, so I really believe it just depends on your engine.
well i guess i need to stop changin from synthetic to regular i only put synthetic in when i have the money i thought it was good for it , but if i do engine work i always put the cheap stuff in .... damn didnt think it was that big a deal .... oil is oil to me

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
Well, we started using synthetic in my wifes car when it was new and neither of my trucks leak oil, So I should be OK right??? I guess I was pretty uninformed on this one as well!!! :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

EvlFaust

Reaction score
Well, we started using synthetic in my wifes car when it was new and neither of my trucks leak oil, So I should be OK right??? I guess I was pretty uninformed on this one as well!!! :unsure:
If you have used synthetic over a period of time and aren't seeing any leaking or losing any oil, then you should be good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK