Stuck in 4X4 Hi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

regarrr

Reaction score
I took the Bronco out on some trails on Monday. I was out there for about an hour or so. When I finished up I couldn't get the 4X4 high to disengage. I've never had any trouble with it before. This time I tried going in reverse, then neutral and couldn't disengage the four wheel drive. Plain old neutral didn't work, and rolling forward in neutral didn't work either. I guess the linkage came undone sometime later because the shifter went totally slack and kinda just wobbles all over the place. So at this point I must've broken the linkage, but I wonder if there was something wrong with the transfer case too for it to not shift before the linkage gave out? or if the linkage was already worn enough to not shift? I didn't hit the transfer case on anything and the fluid level is good. Any help out there?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sounds like you got it pretty well in hand. You have just got to crawl under her and take a good look at the linkage to see where it came apart. Probably just wear and tear.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
regarrr

regarrr

Reaction score
Sounds like you got it pretty well in hand. You have just got to crawl under her and take a good look at the linkage to see where it came apart. Probably just wear and tear.
Good luck,

I was looking at the linkage mounted on the driver side of the tranny, buddy of mine was saying I probably just blew out the bushings. I hope that's all it is. I bought the Bronco for $800. And a new transfer case would cost just as much as the whole vehicle. But it doesn't sound like the transfer case is bad so that's great news!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
As Seabronc advised, the linkage is prob off or;

1356 Manual Shift, No Movement or Neutral Position Tip/Saver Spacer & pic; "...Many 1987-1995 Ford F series 4x4 trucks and full size Bronco owners with 1356 manual shift transfer cases commonly complain of a "no movement" or an occasional neutral condition. This condition is usually caused by the linkage wearing the transfer case at its point of contact (1356 manual shift models only). Sonnax offers a case saver spacer 36605-01. This case saver spacer goes between the shift selector cam and the case and requires no special tools to install. The spacer moves the cam closer to the shift fork, thus preventing and/or eliminating: 1) one or both shift forks from becoming disengaged from the shift cam, 2) "slop"from the linkage caused by a worn linkage bore in front case half. This item is a specific size/thickness not commonly found in ordinary flat washers. This repair is quick, easy and a lot less expensive than repairing or replacing the case. Model: 36605-01..."

Source: by transmichigan.com

Make your own if this is da prob. View illustration for where the item fits to see if your linkage is damaged or disc there

Seabronc

Reaction score
I was looking at the linkage mounted on the driver side of the tranny, buddy of mine was saying I probably just blew out the bushings. I hope that's all it is. I bought the Bronco for $800. And a new transfer case would cost just as much as the whole vehicle. But it doesn't sound like the transfer case is bad so that's great news!
Just make sure that you are looking at the transfer case linkage and not the transmission shifter linkage

Good luck,

OP
OP
regarrr

regarrr

Reaction score
Well the linkage is broke below the track for the shifter. And it seems like a pretty difficult part to pick up somewhere. I think I'm going to weld it back together. How much force would it take to try and shift out of four wheel drive from underneath? I put it in neutral and tried to get it out of four hi from the linkage next to the transfer case but I couldn't move it. I imagine it would be difficult to move it from under there but I wanted to find out for sure. I hope nothing seized up and that's not why the linkage broke when I tried to shift it. The linkage itself is pretty rusty, but it was pretty solid too. I wish I knew more about this kind of stuff.

Yardape

Reaction score
Sometimes it can be a little bit difficult, requiring someone to rock the truck back and forth while you shift the lever from underneath. Remember keep safety in mind, set something up so if the truck decides to roll it will stop without harming you or anyone else

OP
OP
regarrr

regarrr

Reaction score
Cool. I just wanted to make sure it was supposed to be difficult to do it from underneath. I think tomorrow I will pull out the linkage and weld the broken part back together. Is anyone aware if there is anything to consider when pulling apart the linkage on a BW 1356 T-case? It looks pretty straight forward, just a couple of bolts, but sometimes there's more than meets the eye.

Yardape

Reaction score
take the time to take pictures of how it goes back together. if you mess it up I might have some linkages kicking around the garage from a 302 aod with a 1356 t-case. But try your luck welding it first

OP
OP
regarrr

regarrr

Reaction score
Alright, got this problem fixed. I took the linkage off and the gear selector lever on the side of the t case shifted very well. So I can drive in 4x2 again. The resistance I was so worried about turned out to be old decroded bushings in the large center pivot bolt. I took out the old bushings and drilled and tapped a hole in the linkage for a grease fitting. That worked out great. Still haven't put it back on yet, because I'm dealing with my spark issues now. But shes gonna work grand. Thanks for all the help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23