Rolling squealing sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jj23armbar

Reaction score
I hate to be the guy asking for an online diagnoses from a sound but I'm stumped. I have an 82 bronco my Grandfather gave me. It sat out in a field for over a decade. It's become a toy and a project, to learn on... all in one. It runs fine and has for a while but I've had a rolling, squealing noise for a while that has only seemed to get worse. It only makes the noise when I'm in gear and giving it gas, used to be when I was on the higher end of a gear but has becoming pretty much constant now. It does not make the noise if not giving it gas or if I'm just rolling, in neutral. This leads me to think it's something in the transmission (manual), over anything in the wheels or suspension. I was hoping for any guidance or educated guesses on this before tearing into it as I'm not terribly experienced with anything transmission related and I think it could get complicated quickly. Hoping to learn though. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Certainly could be the driveshaft.

Is it 4x4? Pull the rear drive shaft out, take it for a drive and see if the sound is gone.

OP
OP
J

jj23armbar

Reaction score
Certainly could be the driveshaft.

Is it 4x4? Pull the rear drive shaft out, take it for a drive and see if the sound is gone.
Yes, it is 4x4. I can definitely give that a try.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
That will help narrow it down if it isn't the u-joints causing the noise.

Only takes one dry cap in one u-joint to make all kinds of noises.

OP
OP
J

jj23armbar

Reaction score
That will help narrow it down if it isn't the u-joints causing the noise.

Only takes one dry cap in one u-joint to make all kinds of noises.
It's certainly a start and preferable to tearing into the transmission. I'll give it a try. I appreciate it.

chrlsful

Reaction score
where duz it seem located inside out side frnt back right left. Increase w/revs. I'd ask alot more Qs B4 DS removal. The longer the Dx the more accurate it seems. Get all 4 off the grnd (SAFELY) havea friend put in gear, walk round or under while in gear (apply break) out of gear w/a rev, etc.

OP
OP
J

jj23armbar

Reaction score
where duz it seem located inside out side frnt back right left. Increase w/revs. I'd ask alot more Qs B4 DS removal. The longer the Dx the more accurate it seems. Get all 4 off the grnd (SAFELY) havea friend put in gear, walk round or under while in gear (apply break) out of gear w/a rev, etc.
It's definitely outside but no way to tell if it's front or back. I can usually hear it better crossing a bridge or driving next to a cement barrier wall, where it'll bounce off the wall. It does get worse on the higher end of a gear, as mentioned before... not necessary revs but as I get to the top of a gear before shifting up. Thanks for the reply.

chrlsful

Reaction score
the bridge is gunna make it worse (echo all over).
Need 2 ppl, U outside/walk around - some 1 responding 2 ur calls to do something different. Ability to get off grnd is great too (isolates drive train).

OP
OP
J

jj23armbar

Reaction score
So I tried locating the point of the noise with another person and it was pretty much impossible with the engine noise. Decided it was worth the time to just take off the driveshaft and see. That was the culprit. No more noise at all after I took it off. I did grease the thing a while back but I suspect the the main issue is a broken seal I found on it... my grease job didn't seem to last too long. The bad news is as far as I can tell, there is no replacing that seal... I'm probably stuck getting a whole new driveshaft. I guess getting 40 years out of the original isn't too bad though :)

chrlsful

Reaction score
"...no replacing that seal... I'm probably stuck getting a whole new driveshaft..."
tryin to figure what seal a DS has.
After 10 posts, still no closer toa solution...

OP
OP
J

jj23armbar

Reaction score
"...no replacing that seal... I'm probably stuck getting a whole new driveshaft..."
tryin to figure what seal a DS has.
After 10 posts, still no closer toa solution...
It was my best guess really. All I can state for certain is that replacing the DS fixed the sound. I've included some pics... maybe these will help you.

Attachments

• DS closeup.jpg
    DS closeup.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 5
  • DS overall.jpg
    DS overall.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 5

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads