Replacement Front Coil Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ledzilla

Reaction score
Ok, so I want to replace the front coil springs in my '83 since they seem to be sagging a bit. I suppose the weight of a plow had a hand in that. With the plow attached the front really dips down. It unbalances the weight sufficiently to cause problems with braking. Weight gets lifted off the rear wheels and they tend to lock up. The problem, though, is determining the correct springs. My Bronco has the quad shock option, which some literature has also suggested gives a 2" lift. All replacement options say they aren't for the quad shock setup, but I saw people saying in some places that those springs would still fit anyway. I've seen replacement shock/spring upper mounts for both the regular and quad shock, and except for the extra mount they don't seem that different, so I'm inclined to believe that there is not a factory 2" lift, and that I should be able to use springs that say they are not for the quad shock setup. Can anyone verify that?

If so, I was thinking of going with some heavier duty springs to better support the weight of the plow, and to ditch the AirLift helper springs (which have a leak). The AirLift springs I don't think are all the great for helping with the plow. They don't have a direct fit set of air springs, and the tallest universal springs that fit the inner spring diameter are still too short. I'm thinking I might install the Dayton 351902HD springs. They seem like they should be able to handle the weight of the plow without helper springs.

goffprof

Reaction score
Ok, so I want to replace the front coil springs in my '83 since they seem to be sagging a bit. I suppose the weight of a plow had a hand in that. With the plow attached the front really dips down. It unbalances the weight sufficiently to cause problems with braking. Weight gets lifted off the rear wheels and they tend to lock up. The problem, though, is determining the correct springs. My Bronco has the quad shock option, which some literature has also suggested gives a 2" lift. All replacement options say they aren't for the quad shock setup, but I saw people saying in some places that those springs would still fit anyway. I've seen replacement shock/spring upper mounts for both the regular and quad shock, and except for the extra mount they don't seem that different, so I'm inclined to believe that there is not a factory 2" lift, and that I should be able to use springs that say they are not for the quad shock setup. Can anyone verify that?

If so, I was thinking of going with some heavier duty springs to better support the weight of the plow, and to ditch the AirLift helper springs (which have a leak). The AirLift springs I don't think are all the great for helping with the plow. They don't have a direct fit set of air springs, and the tallest universal springs that fit the inner spring diameter are still too short. I'm thinking I might install the Dayton 351902HD springs. They seem like they should be able to handle the weight of the plow without helper springs.
I installed new progressive HD coil springs and coil over quad front shocks on my ‘96 EB 5.0 Bronco. I didn’t want any more lift over the quad EB stock height due to my railroad “hyrail” kit. The progressive coil springs worked great but the added coil over front shocks also took some of the weight and together they solved the sagging or spongy front end. I installed 3/4 ton leaf springs in the rear and coil over HD shocks, but the ride was too stiff so I replaced the rear shocks with HD, but no coils.

I avoided an air shock setup as in the event of failure, It would make my truck impossible to raise and lower when I use my railroad wheel kit.

OP
OP
ledzilla

ledzilla

Reaction score
I installed new progressive HD coil springs and coil over quad front shocks on my ‘96 EB 5.0 Bronco. I didn’t want any more lift over the quad EB stock height due to my railroad “hyrail” kit. The progressive coil springs worked great but the added coil over front shocks also took some of the weight and together they solved the sagging or spongy front end. I installed 3/4 ton leaf springs in the rear and coil over HD shocks, but the ride was too stiff so I replaced the rear shocks with HD, but no coils.

I avoided an air shock setup as in the event of failure, It would make my truck impossible to raise and lower when I use my railroad wheel kit.
So, the springs you used are fine for both the standard and dual-shock configurations? Just heavy duty for the extra weight?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
didn'thappen